Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 08:25 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,773,496 times

Advertisements

Why ? Elaborate beyond it makes for more interesting conversation or intelligence = more likely to be successful.

I'm attracted to intelligent people because I feel safe around them. If anything were to happen, they would be smart enough to know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 08:28 PM

154 posts, read 127,948 times
I'm ashamed... well, not ashamed, necessarily -- reluctant, maybe, to admit that I have never dated a girl who I could actually sit down and have a conversation with, on any sort of intellectual level.

Even more confounding, is that it's taken me this long to realize that it is something that I want. So, yes, definitely sexy, so long as she isn't a one-upper or know-it-all.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:29 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,179 times
I do not find it sexy. I find it argumentative. I've been on dates where some nit pick everything you say for the sake of arguing - to appear intelligent. Huge turnoff.

If it's genuine intelligence, without showboating, then it's nice.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:30 PM

52,258 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrassMug View Post
I'm ashamed... well, not ashamed, necessarily -- reluctant, maybe, to admit that I have never dated a girl who I could actually sit down and have a conversation with, on any sort of intellectual level.

Even more confounding, is that it's taken me this long to realize that it is something that I want. So, yes, definitely sexy, so long as she isn't a one-upper or know-it-all.
I agree, I find the one-upper to be one of the most annoying personality traits there is.... man or woman... doesn't' matter, hate those types... and there are a couple of regulars here that are some serious one-uppers... LOL.....

Old 10-16-2015, 08:31 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times
Sexy? No...there is nothing sexually alluring about it.
I find it an attractive quality though. A level of intelligence is REQUIRED for my interest

I enjoy it becuase it generally means the people Have more than a passing thought about things or at the very least they are capable.

It leads to further discussion or involvement in all things things.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:32 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,473,727 times
Intelligence, yes; but not intelligence alone. Wit and humor need to be added to the mix. I've known some very intelligent people who were dull as butter knives socially.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:32 PM

154 posts, read 127,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I agree, I find the one-upper to be one of the most annoying personality traits there is.... man or woman... doesn't' matter, hate those types... and there are a couple of regulars here that are some serious one-uppers... LOL.....
I've lurked here for quite some time before posting, and I've definitely noticed that. Also noticed how many threads are started with someone seeking validation and/or praise (could be for their brains, looks, money, etc), rather than actually seeking relationship advice and discussion.

takes all kinds, I guess...

Old 10-16-2015, 08:33 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,190,967 times
Intelligent is a broad term.

Book Smarts
Street Smarts
Survival Intelligence / Resourceful

Someone can be book smart but have no common sense at all. I went to school with a girl like that. Very smart, made killer grades, but talking to her, you wouldn't know that. lol

I have always found survival skills / resourceful very attractive. That I would feel more safe/comfortable with.

But i'd love a man with book smarts as well, someone I could learn with. Languages, cultures perhaps. We could learn things from one another, and in a fun light-hearted way. Not a know-it-all obnoxious way. Someone creative. Maybe they like art as well. I am into art myself.

Last edited by HappyRain; 10-16-2015 at 09:02 PM..

Old 10-16-2015, 08:34 PM

48,522 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Yes, I can't have a relationship without it. Why? Because it makes them interesting to be around and it makes them witty. I can talk to them and they will intuitively get the point I am making, I can learn things, I can learn new ways to look at things, new ways to do things....I can trust them to make good decisions, they have the ability to self reflect with an openness of self, someone to bounce ideas off of.... the list is endless.

I think Urban Sasquatch mentioned that a girl said she wanted to lick his brain. Can't tell me that isn't sexy. Foreplay starts with my brain.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-16-2015, 08:35 PM

52,258 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Intelligence, yes; but not intelligence alone. Wit and humor need to be added to the mix. I've known some very intelligent people who were dull as butter knives socially.
I'd venture to say that most people I know that are super smart are dull as butter knives... just as a disclaimer I've always worked with engineer types and as much as I hate to say it, that stereotype about engineers exists for a reason...

I'm one of the exceptions myself.... as I've got wit, charm and charisma... at least as much as my engineering type lizard brain can allow for....

Smart without humor is like having a race car with a flat tire.....

Last edited by Chowhound; 10-16-2015 at 08:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships