Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 12:42 PM

2,622 posts, read 3,404,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
She just needed to come to Memphis. I'm average looking and I still get hit on frequently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
I wasn't bragging, lol. I was simply stating if a non descript female like me has guys being forward to her, the hot Italian chick would have no problem with aggressive forward men throwing passes at her here in Mtown. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but the guys here seem to have no fear of rejection. I told a few that I was married and they said they either didn't care or told me to hit them up if things didn't work out. I am well aware they were just displaying meritless bravado and weren't likely actually interested in me, but it's guaranteed she'd get hit on and with gusto round these parts.
I am a male and I happened to peer into your profile when you described yourself as "average-looking" and "non-descript" and saw the photos you provide of yourself. You are a pretty woman in my eyes and have nice complexion, nice soft-looking skin, nice hair, et al. I would consider you to be a good catch based on your looks. I'd give you the green light and thumbs-up based on your appearance.

Last edited by UsAll; 10-18-2015 at 01:02 PM..

Old 10-18-2015, 12:54 PM

1,273 posts, read 989,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
I am a male and I happened to peer into your profile when you described yourself as "average-looking" and "non-descript" and saw the photos you provide of yourself. You are a pretty woman in my eyes and have nice complexion, nice soft-looking skin, nice hair, et al. I would consider you to be a good catch based on your looks.I'd give you the green light and thumbs-up based on your appearance.
You're sweet.
I've already had several unsolicited evaluations of my looks from guys on the board and in real life, and they rate me a 4 or 5. Now, I do have other qualities like wit, confidence, and an adventurous spirit that those who have dated or liked me seem to be influenced by so they tend to rate me much higher, but they actually got to know me. I honestly don't think my looks are anything special, so I appreciate the positive feedback

Old 10-18-2015, 01:00 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,217,497 times
It's the Mormon Glow, April

Old 10-18-2015, 01:33 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,692,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Are you serious, Mikala?
Nasty notes are not uncommon....no one has threatened to kill me but one guy was gonna put uppity ol' me 'in my place'....lol.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I get quite a few death threats.
Yikes! People have some serious problems.

When I start taking that stuff too seriously, it's a good indicator that it's time to log off for a while. When it devolves into exchanging insults or deliberately trying to make someone feel like ****, it has ceased to be fun at that point.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:40 PM

19,322 posts, read 15,186,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Nasty notes are not uncommon....no one has threatened to kill me but one guy was gonna put uppity ol' me 'in my place'....lol.
Nasty notes, yeah, but geez. This is psycho stuff.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:43 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,436,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I get quite a few death threats.
This is the reason I primarily don't read dm's on this site. It's usually just people who want to spout off indirectly of the thread their comments to me are coming from and make personal accusations without being judged themselves by doing it publically

Very occasional will I bother to open anything to read it, I just delete every message I get and move on.

Unfortunately being a mod, I dont think you can just choose to ignore messages

Old 10-18-2015, 01:44 PM

19,322 posts, read 15,186,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Yikes! People have some serious problems.

When I start taking that stuff too seriously, it's a good indicator that it's time to log off for a while. When it devolves into exchanging insults or deliberately trying to make someone feel like ****, it has ceased to be fun at that point.
Yep. I have no interest in engaging with nasty inciters or trolls, but I can only take so much. That's when the completely ridiculous thread pops up and I lash out with a verbal eye-rolling. Time for a break. lol

Old 10-18-2015, 01:49 PM

2,622 posts, read 3,404,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Instead of whining about being not approached....people could easily solve the issue by approaching.

Pride and fear can be terrible things.
I was thinking the same thing but you got to state this view here before I managed to.

Speaking as a male: I mean, we are now in the second decade of the 21st century (year 2015). This is not the 1700s or 1800s nor even the 1920s or 1930s or 1940s or 1950s. And feminism has been with us since the late 1960s. For nearly 50 years now, the idea has been ingrained in our collective psyche that the genders are or should been deemed as full equals and that females have or should have every single prerogative and right at their avail that males have. And I myself have always supported this concept. And I am even old enough to have been around when these ideas were being first being formulated and fought for in the late 1960s -- early 1970s.

So, to all the women of the world: You don't have to spend your lives waiting for men to approach or make the moves on you. If some male(s) gains your interest and he hasn't approached you or noticed you (or not yet), then take it upon yourselves to approach HIM and make your case. In the end, what does it matter who makes the first move? Remember, both of our genders are full equals now in every way, shape, and form and that is the way that you women have wanted it and have fought for it). Hence, it is acceptable for you if you take it upon yourself to make the first move (and if you find a man who can't accept you for doing so, then write him off as unworthy of your further attention or consideration). Sometimes a man may not know that you see something meritorious in him or that you notice him, or maybe he is distracted at the time by other persons or events happening around him, or maybe he is a bit or more than a bit shy, or maybe he is trying to work up the courage and fortitude to approach you, or he thinks that you are already involved with another man or are even married, or whatever other reason(s) for his not having approached you (other than the possibility that he may not find you appealing or appealing enough from the start).

In summary: If you truly want to be thought of as full equals with the male half of humanity, then act like it. You're afraid of rejection? Well, welcome to the human race! So you are just like us males in that regard (well, surprise, surprise!). Should I think of you as a lesser person or a "loser" if you fear rejection? No. It just makes me see you as human. Some of you may say that you don't want to be thought of as "easy" or "desperate". Well, if a woman approaches me or suggests we do something together, I just take that to mean that she is open to exploring the possibilities with me for what might be between us. She is not committing herself to me from the start or giving me an immediate invitation to being physically intimate with her by the act of simply approaching me or making the first moves on me. She is simply expressing interest or testing the waters.

Or is it an ego thing with some women? That is, that some women always want to be in the position of being the one who gets to either accept or reject the opposite sex's overtures to her but doesn't ever want to be subject to the same veto power over her exercised by the opposite sex . . . as though they think their personal image and ego can't take being turned down or turned away. Well, that's a risk you take in life . . . just like us males have to constantly submit ourselves to with females. Part of the big picture of being full equals with one another is that we are BOTH subject to the same risks and BOTH have the same prerogatives available to them. If you want ALL the benefits of equality, you have to accept some of the pitfalls and risks that potentially go along with it as well (including possible rejection and having one's pride somewhat wounded).

Last edited by UsAll; 10-18-2015 at 01:57 PM..

Old 10-18-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Yep. I have no interest in engaging with nasty inciters or trolls, but I can only take so much. That's when the completely ridiculous thread pops up and I lash out with a verbal eye-rolling. Time for a break. lol
Yeah, I mean just like in real life everyone isn't going to get along equally, but there's just no call to verbally annihilate them. A couple of people I'm not particularly find of, so I just don't interact with them. Some people hang around looking for trouble or just do their drive-by insults, but I'm not feeding it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.