Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 02:44 PM

52,198 posts, read 52,629,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Very true. And it doesn't even have to be a skill set. A recent example is the outpouring of sympathy I had when my mom passed away. People have very kind hearts. However, what gets noticed is the person who says "let me know if you need anything" and disappears, versus the person who showed up with a meal, or the person who texted to say "I have Saturday free, how can I help you in cleaning out your mom's house?"

What seems to be missing is effort. Many people are very lazy, and good thoughts or FB likes don't amount to anything in life if you're not actually doing anything.
That is true, while it's nice that someone makes a gesture, but like you said, it's really shallow at the end of the day, anyone can "like" a post on FB, doesn't take much effort.

That lazy thing is something that bothers me a bit, when I do a little closet cleaning of my own, I've realized that I need to be a person that gives a bit more.... But, we all have our faults and I suppose being aware of them is a first step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 03:26 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,757 times
Quote:
Very true. And it doesn't even have to be a skill set. A recent example is the outpouring of sympathy I had when my mom passed away. People have very kind hearts. However, what gets noticed is the person who says "let me know if you need anything" and disappears, versus the person who showed up with a meal, or the person who texted to say "I have Saturday free, how can I help you in cleaning out your mom's house?"

What seems to be missing is effort. Many people are very lazy, and good thoughts or FB likes don't amount to anything in life if you're not actually doing anything.
Absolutely. Sorry to hear about the passing of your mom. That is always tough.

I'm the "grill master" for any events that my job wants to do for community involvement. This started about 5-6 years ago. I was never a super great griller, but I was willing to get involved some way and some how. The older men that were doing it, were looking for someone to pass the torch down to. I had helped them grill a time or two, but hadn't really gotten it down to a science yet.

Now, I can cook for 200 people, by myself, with my eyes closed. I have a system that works and I keep with it. My employer even gave the responsibility of ordering us a new smoker and work out the advertising for our bank. What they got in return was a killer smoker, with a much better layout, and advertisement that really pops while going down the road. At this point, my job comes to me because I produce and I get things done. I was given an opportunity to excel and I decided to take full advantage of it. While other people in similar situations complained about not getting a particular situation handed to them, I found ways to adapt and overcome. It's what being an adult is all about.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:41 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,224,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
I think people will take away different meanings, as with most things. To me it means ultimately you are responsible for your own happiness and successes (and failures), not someone else.
I agree with this

Old 10-18-2015, 03:46 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
To be honest, that's not what I really got from it at all. I mean - that was a small part of it. But I got so much more from it. Mostly - that who you are inside doesn't matter if you don't do anything with it. You can feel bad for starving children - but are you doing anything about it? You can have wonderful stories inside your head - but if you don't write them down - what difference does it make? I especially like the part where he talked about someone with a camera following you around for a month. Would they see anything special about you?
No because I don't see how I can stand out in a world of 7 billion people. I'm pretty sure whatever unique traits or special abilities I think I have someone else has them as well. I don't know what's wrong with simply being the best person you can be. Doing what interest you because you want to and your not constantly worried what others think. Improving yourself for yourself and not to impress other people.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:53 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
No because I don't see how I can stand out in a world of 7 billion people. I'm pretty sure whatever unique traits or special abilities I think I have someone else has them as well. I don't know what's wrong with simply being the best person you can be. Doing what interest you because you want to and your not constantly worried what others think. Improving yourself for yourself and not to impress other people.
Did you read the article?

Old 10-18-2015, 04:02 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
I agree that everyone should be the best they can be, and improve themselves. However, I don't think that quote meant doing something different to stand out, but rather, if a camera followed you around for a month, are you living, or just existing? Would the camera catch you doing things or are you so caught up in your head thinking about things, that you don't DO?

Being a good person with a kind heart isn't doing anything. What do you do with that kind heart other than pride yourself for having one?

Old 10-18-2015, 04:08 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Did you read the article?
Yes I did, and I got from it that you should do things to impress others. I tried that when I was younger and it didn't work well for me. So I just do what interest me. If other people want to join me fine if not fine.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I agree that everyone should be the best they can be, and improve themselves. However, I don't think that quote meant doing something different to stand out, but rather, if a camera followed you around for a month, are you living, or just existing? Would the camera catch you doing things or are you so caught up in your head thinking about things, that you don't DO?

Being a good person with a kind heart isn't doing anything. What do you do with that kind heart other than pride yourself for having one?
Exactly.

Quote:
Yes I did, and I got from it that you should do things to impress others. I tried that when I was younger and it didn't work well for me. So I just do what interest me. If other people want to join me fine if not fine.
Well, that's not what I got from it. It's not about impressing anyone. To each their own.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:19 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
I feel like I've read this before.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I feel like I've read this before.
You might have. I hadn't read it before but it wasn't written that recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships