Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2015, 04:39 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,204 times

Advertisements

Do you think it's worth bothering trying to meet women/men on the Internet in unconventional ways? I've always been cynical about dating sites since to me it feels like a meat market, plus I've never had any success and you are judged instantaneously, which actually makes it even harder for socially awkward or not conventionally/outwardly attractive people. Before you say don't bash it before you try it, I have tried it and had zero luck.

I've met tons of women on forums and Facebook/Myspace groups over the years, and some of them I developed flirtatious Internet friendships with. None of them ever turned out to be actual relationships though, because they would either just want to be friends or they would find a guy who lived closer by and forget about me.

Because I'm extremely awkward (OCD/Tourette's) I've essentially given up on meeting women in meatspace, because they judge me immediately for my tics, trouble with eye contact, and social awkwardness. While this doesn't turn everyone off from me as a friend, I've come to the conclusion that in order for a woman to ever want more from me, she'd have to get to know my mind first before she could accept the way I appear in person. Plus, where I live (the Pacific Northwest) it's taboo to flirt with strangers or even coworkers, and all of my female friends seem either happily taken or they are gay so "networking" isn't really a great option as it's a small pool anyhow.

So basically, all three of the major avenues - meatspace/networking, dating sites, and meeting people on the Internet through other means all has its issues for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 04:44 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
I like online dating. I've tried it three times, and I met a lot of great men. I've been catfished once, the guy said he was a Navy Seal, but he really was not. Other than that, I was happy with the men I've met.

I think one good thing about online dating is that you really don't have to lower your standard. If you haven't met gorgeous men in your area, online will provide that opportunity for you.

No one would judge you if you had a racial preference either.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:45 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,091 times
yes it's worth bothering with.

Every method, whether online or offline, requires patience and perseverance.

Make friends first, and all the rest might fall into place naturally.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:19 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post

Plus, where I live (the Pacific Northwest) it's taboo to flirt with strangers or even coworkers...
It is? Why do you think that?

Old 10-20-2015, 10:52 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
I've "met" and became close to a couple men I met on forums/groups a few years back. I can see this happening, as it clearly works for some people, but a major issue is distance. If you're comfortable with that and working out this very real issue then explore other mediums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships