Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 11:31 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times

Advertisements

This AGAIN?

I'm not into that....I'd feel like a servant. I am pretty sure I can work and take care of house hold "chores."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 11:33 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
For the ladies out there, would you be in to having a relationship with a man who wanted an old school relationship where:
  • You stayed home, or volunteered
  • You did all of the housework, laundry, etc.
  • You cooked the meals, set and cleared the table, etc.
  • Took the old fashioned "woman behind the man" role
Assuming that the man took full responsibility providing financially, you were attracted to him, and he was affectionate and loving, etc. Do you think you could be happy in that type of relationship?
absolutely. That's how I was raised.

I did it for the most part when I was married.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:36 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
Would I be free to pursue my own interests, like writing a novel, etc. Or would I be expected to have his slippers waiting for him every day, not bother him about issues in my life but only listen to him, etc.

I guess what I'm asking is, how much of a narcissist is this guy? Does he expect to always be the center of attention?
What she said.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:03 PM

532 posts, read 1,270,413 times
I ask because it seems like women can't win in a lot of ways. If you spend too much time and energy on career and work, at the expense of keeping a home, you're not meeting societies expectations. And if your full time job is at home holding everything else together, you're not a complete woman either.

I was wondering if the pendulum had swung the other way. Before women's rights began to equalize, it was a stigma to put a career before the "duties" of a wife. Now it seems to have swung the other way, the term "housewife" has the stigma as a pejorative.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:07 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
I ask because it seems like women can't win in a lot of ways. If you spend too much time and energy on career and work, and less home keeping a home, you're not meeting societies expectations. And if your full time job is at home holding everything else together, you're not a complete woman either.
Not a "complete woman"?

Honestly, people really need to understand that, in the vast majority of cases, what a woman chooses to do with her life is, in fact, her free choice. There are always going to be people who won't approve of what someone chooses to do with his or her life. The sooner that people learn to take care of their own side of the street rather than worrying about what's happening on someone else's, the better off we all will be.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:17 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
For the ladies out there, would you be in to having a relationship with a man who wanted an old school relationship where:
Assuming that the man took full responsibility providing financially, you were attracted to him, and he was affectionate and loving, etc. Do you think you could be happy in that type of relationship?
LOL. When I was a young woman, no. I wanted to "experience the world" to learn, grow and do and be my own person.
Now that I have been there, done that sure I would make a trade off, some self sufficiency and independence for some servitude. I always volunteered, did the housework, laundry cook etc. anyway. Now that Im older and wiser I could easily feign being the woman behind the man knowing in actuality I could manipulate him into doing my will. He of course would have to be out of the house at least 9 to 10 hours per day.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:20 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Not a "complete woman"?

Honestly, people really need to understand that, in the vast majority of cases, what a woman chooses to do with her life is, in fact, her free choice. There are always going to be people who won't approve of what someone chooses to do with his or her life. The sooner that people learn to take care of their own side of the street rather than worrying about what's happening on someone else's, the better off we all will be.
This post should be framed.

OP, I've never felt like I "can't win" because of my life choices. Anyone who disagrees with them should mind their own business. I would never judge a woman for choosing to stay at home if they can live on one income. Nor would I judge a man for being a stay at home dad. One of the good things about today's society is that people can make these choices.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:22 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
No. I did it for a time, when my kids were little. And that was fine, but permanently? No way. It is a life very lacking in mental stimulation.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:24 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
I ask because it seems like women can't win in a lot of ways. If you spend too much time and energy on career and work, at the expense of keeping a home, you're not meeting societies expectations. And if your full time job is at home holding everything else together, you're not a complete woman either.

I was wondering if the pendulum had swung the other way. Before women's rights began to equalize, it was a stigma to put a career before the "duties" of a wife. Now it seems to have swung the other way, the term "housewife" has the stigma as a pejorative.
People are happier once they realize "meeting society's expectations" isn't all that.

Do what is right for you.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:26 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,128 times
Quote:
Is this not 2015 rather than 1965?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships