Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 04:30 AM

124 posts, read 149,762 times

Advertisements

When his wife comes home from a hard days work and sees my brother just sitting at home watching television, she goes nuts. She screams: "WHY CAN'T YOU FIND A JOB?"

He spent the entire day calling employers, networking, reading job hunting books, sending out resumes and following up on resumes he sent, but nothing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 04:59 AM

11,394 posts, read 24,436,628 times
My husband sometimes complains that I haven't found a higher paying job than the one I have, despite my consistent ability to find decent work after I was laid off during the recession. Back then I earned as much as he did.

Sure, it was a blow to my ego and self esteem for a long time. Applying for jobs is a dreadful process and I pretty much refuse to do it online anymore. What a waste of time! I'd rather live on less and feel content than go through the time consuming build up and let down of job hunting.

Since I know my husband has a streak of internal discontent, I tend to ignore or deflect it somehow. That's his problem, not mine.

I have no solution for the SIL's poor behavior other than some kind of heartfelt adult response. Plenty of people have lost everything in the past 8 years. They need to regroup and focus on cutting fixed costs. It is hard. It is unpleasant. It sucks.

If they'd make a serious downsizing plan that requires less money, they'd be more comfortable till a new job inevitably comes his way.

Last edited by ellie; 10-25-2015 at 05:07 AM..

Old 10-25-2015, 06:58 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,087,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Discussion View Post
When his wife comes home from a hard days work and sees my brother just sitting at home watching television, she goes nuts. She screams: "WHY CAN'T YOU FIND A JOB?"

He spent the entire day calling employers, networking, reading job hunting books, sending out resumes and following up on resumes he sent, but nothing!
I've heard something similar but with SAHM. A husband comes home from work and sees the mother taking a break from a long day of taking care of the children and doing chores in the house. Initial reaction is similar in that he's just getting home for a break from the work day but only finds that his wife has already done so.

He just doesn't realize it... or takes her efforts for granted. Out of sight.. out of mind.

Either way, neither is being supportive.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:17 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,062,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Discussion View Post

So aside from looking for another job, is he doing anything around the house? Or is she coming home to a disaster area and no dinner on the table?

I think I'd probably lose my **** if I walked in the door and my husband was sitting with his feet up and absolutely nothing got done around the house.

It may have nothing to do with his being jobless, and everything to do with him not pitching in around the house??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships