Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 10:26 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,774,203 times

Advertisements

Who cares what he has. He does not shower or brush his teeth and he sounds like a pain to speak to. I would immediately run. You don't need to put a label on everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 01:32 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
As a realtor in an engineer town, I have seen high-functioning autistic engineers married to very extroverted people - and they seem to get along well.

As to the hygiene, perhaps mentioning baths might help. If the water pelting down from a shower head hurts - and it just might hurt to him - bath water would be softer - and get the same thing accomplished. Did he say why he doesn't brush his teeth as he should?

goodmockingbird mentioned loyalty. When he "word vomits" texts to you, I think it is just a way to show he is thinking about you.
Divorce rate for ASD partner with non-ASD partner is said to be ~80%. Notice I wrote "non-ASD" not neurotypical. Non-ASD could also be non-neurotypical. Particularly bad combinations would be things like ASD married to OCD, ASD married to OCPD, etc.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:36 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
Aspergers type people aren't for everyone.

Most gals could not be happy with one of them.

But to be loved -- to the extent, and in the way they love -- and most importantly, to be trusted by a high achieving, loyal, and kindhearted "Aspergers type" guy is worth more to some of us than all the hearts and flowers in the world.
That's pretty astute (quoting something now six months old). Nice to hear from ladies who appreciate us fringers, nerds, whatever mild and slightly-endearing pejorative we'd like to use.

A guy outed himself recently, at a firm I know, as diagnosed Aspergers. I thought that was rather brave of him. I like the guy, and do monitor his deliverables pretty closely. If that is done, he delivers great work, so it's just a little extra effort I don't mind doing as a manager. I think like calls to like. Which got me thinking...

Point being, some of use who (are, may be) on the spectrum do tend to "get it" in terms of guys and the very few women I've met like that. I have this nagging feeling I'm at or over the line, myself, but function well indeed as a leader in our firm. Leadership and socialization skills are learned behaviors, not natural to me. Mimicry is a skill I do well, in addition to learning from past mistakes.

Back on point, this being Relationships, yes ladies who like the quiet smart type do pretty well with those of us on the Spectrum (Speccies?). Emotional women figure me out, and take off eventually when it's clear not much of that will ever be reciprocated. What they would, could, or did ever think that way to begin with is totally beyond me. Which is the point of the thread...

"Love" is a weird concept to most of us, but loyalty (above all else), integrity, and smarts are not. Agreed 100%. We sure aren't for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships