U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 02:29 AM

19,009 posts, read 24,551,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Women will still get raped. NOW, at a certain degree, that could be prevented if she chooses to be wise.
Again, do you understand at all that the majority of rape survivors were not "provocatively dressed" at the time of attack?

Quote:
As a parent, I wonder why would their parents choose those clothes for their daughters, especially for school, where their daughters are out of their sight until the parents come to pick them up. Putting your kids at risk like that, they could never know who would be lurking at the their precious daughters.
Do you understand that a pedophile is a pedophile is a pedophile (to paraphrase as well as play on Gertrude Stein's legendary words).

Are you aware that the clothing a child wears on the playground has no bearing on whether a pedophile...uh... loses control?

Once again, are you aware that statistically, provocative clothing has absolutely NO BEARING on a woman's chances of being raped?

Old 02-03-2008, 02:36 AM

84 posts, read 311,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Nonetheless, the majority of women who are rape survivors were not dressed in a "revealing" way when the attack occurred.
And no one argues with that.
Even though I was not the one who related wearing skimpy clothes would lead to rape because that has never been my initial point. It was to answer Lindsey Mcfarren.

As my answer to Lindsey, I made a point which was not to be the reason for all RAPE cases as you chose to understand, but it is about creating an opportunity for such a thing to happen.
I didn't say that if you wear skimpy clothes, you will be raped.

Please, read effectively and take it EXACTLY the way it is said. And don't assume my opinion to be either black or white, pro rape or anti rape. What I meant was what I said and there is nothing left to be interpreted in your own way. MAYBE YOU DIDN'T COMPREHEND it correctly but my opinion was that there are sick people out there and it is just wise to protect yourself by not putting yourself at risk.

However, to get back to the topic, my initial point was that:

if a woman decides to dress in a revealing way, she can't expect men NOT to stare at the exposed parts or she can't expect men NOT to come up to her in a certain way. Some might know better to contain themselves, but some could be disrespectful. If such an attention is not what you want, opt for classier clothes.

Last edited by KanniJay; 02-03-2008 at 02:45 AM..

Old 02-03-2008, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Again, do you understand at all that the majority of rape survivors were not "provocatively dressed" at the time of attack?

Do you understand that a pedophile is a pedophile is a pedophile (to paraphrase as well as play on Gertrude Stein's legendary words).

Are you aware that the clothing a child wears on the playground has no bearing on whether a pedophile...uh... loses control?

Once again, are you aware that statistically, provocative clothing has absolutely NO BEARING on a woman's chances of being raped?
NO, DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT MY POINT WAS JUST THAT 'BEST DEFENSE IS TO PREVENT'?
If things happen, things happen. But it is never wrong to protect yourself to prevent such a thing to happen. I can't say it clearer than this. Hope no one will twist it and understand it the way they wish to understand it.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:45 AM

Quote:
NO, DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT MY POINT WAS JUST THAT 'BEST DEFENSE IS TO PREVENT'?
I quite understand that, yes. But your logic, if I may play fast and loose with that particular word, is particularly flawed.

I don't think that you understand (again) that what a woman wears has no bearing on her chances of being raped.

So why err on the side of caution--or "prevent", as you say...when that factor isn't even a variable?

A woman's chances of rape has nothing to do with how she is dressed at the time. Why is that so bloody difficult to understand?

Old 02-03-2008, 03:01 AM

Quote:

A woman's chances of rape has nothing to do with how she is dressed at the time. Why is that so bloody difficult to understand?
I was never the one who related wearing skimpy clothes would lead to rape. No, it was not me.

What I said was it would attract the wrong type of attention. Then someone interpreted 'wrong type of attention' to rapers' attention. Then someone took 'women get the type of (dis)respect based what on she wears' to another level by saying that 'with this type of mentality, society thinks it is ok for men to rape women'.

So to join in the discussion, as a reply to someone who chose to imply that wearing skimpy clothes would lead to rape and the society thinks it is ok for men to rape, I stated that TO PREVENT THAT FROM HAPPENING JUST DON'T DRESS THAT WAY.
So does that equals me believing that wearing skimpy clothes would lead to rape when all I said was if you know what would happen, DUH, just don't do it? Just like if I say to a kid that if you know fire burns, just don't play with it even though statistically, 99% of fire victims did not die because they were playing with fire.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:41 AM

Quote:

So why err on the side of caution--or "prevent", as you say...when that factor isn't even a variable?

So you are saying that this scenario would never happen?

-A girl wore something revealing at a club and met a guy who already had a few drinks. They talked and had a little bit of drinks. He offered to walk her to her car in a parking garage. On the way there, she got raped.

Now had she worn something less revealing, chances of her talking this guy might have been minimized since he might have targeted another girl who seemed easier to approach judging by the way she dressed. With some alcohol in the system and the urge in his pants, a guy would opt for someone who in his opinion, would be an easier 'prey'. .... no?

But no one will know for sure what would have happened. But to play on the safe side, even if it is just a small possibility that wearing revealing clothes could lead to rape (and even though it might not be relevant statistically, if she looked up the statistic before she left the house), if one could, one should eliminate it.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:50 AM

12,172 posts, read 14,212,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
THANKS for the quick responses. No, I do not patronize strip bars. When a women looks into the mirror, she sees what she wants others to see. I wonder about the "like to dress how they feel good" Is the clothes to be comfortable feeling/form feeling/sexually exposed feeling. Like the invisible underwear feeling when wearing tight jeans. Secret is, you don"t wear any. Men are not blind. They see what women want them to see. NO more comments from me. Do not want any females mad at me. Just curious. Stefhen
Funny thing is, you might have some males mad at you too. I can hear the men are mumbling, "hey if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Old 02-03-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
-A girl wore something revealing at a club and met a guy who already had a few drinks. They talked and had a little bit of drinks. He offered to walk her to her car in a parking garage. On the way there, she got raped.

This has nothing to do with how she was dressed. Allowing a strange man to walk her to a car in a parking garage wasn't a smart move. Neither was going to a club alone.

Quote:
I stated that TO PREVENT THAT FROM HAPPENING JUST DON'T DRESS THAT WAY.
I truly do despair. If life were only so bloody easy as that. "Just not dressing that way" ain't gonna prevent rape, sistah.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:28 AM

53,432 posts, read 68,398,829 times
yesterday at atm, short shorts hiked up fabric between the crotch no underwear
muckluks, winter coat,
whats up with guys like us staring at women, i mean get a life
me and my buddy pathetic, sick ----------------.
what is wrong with us?

Old 02-03-2008, 11:43 AM

21,145 posts, read 35,079,094 times
In my experience; it depends upon the individual woman.

Some look 'good' whereas others plain look silly showing lots of skin.

Personally; I 'blow off' most scantily clad women; most of 'em are thin and I prefer some meat on them bones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships