Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2015, 02:16 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Maybe. Some call it adventure. Hit the road and see where it takes you (international travel would probably be more difficult). As far as a will, some people actually don't care once their dead. Then again some people dont have any assets to bequest nor can afford great accommodations.

Hey, just saying there are many people who do not look ahead, they live in the moment. And I do know people who just take off and find a hotel room near their destination. And they dont have wills. So, there.
Oh, the high adventure thing I get. I wouldn't do it, but I get it. Go where the wind blows, yadda yadda.

People who don't leave wills are selfish bc that leaves a lot of fighting and other work to be done amongst the remaining family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 02:20 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
[quote=CubsFan20;42042420]
Quote:
No, don't be silly. I bet your mom took your dad's last name, right?

I have hundreds or maybe thousands of years of history and tradition behind my stance...
And pre-nups weren't around those thousands of years of history, nor did most women have their own careers. And it is not every peoples history.

Quote:
No it's not... don't just make stuff up as a reason to try to justify your position
Because you have done it? I never did change all that crap because it was such a pain. Much easier when we divorced.

Quote:
The person at the DMV is a moron then.
Its been my experience everyone at the DMV is a moron.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:22 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Oh, the high adventure thing I get. I wouldn't do it, but I get it. Go where the wind blows, yadda yadda.

People who don't leave wills are selfish bc that leaves a lot of fighting and other work to be done amongst the remaining family.
I agree. My father would never discuss his funeral arrangements and when the topic was brought up he would just say, oh, just throw my body out in the yard.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:37 PM

565 posts, read 432,884 times
C'mon guys. Be good troopers and go along with the wealth redistribution. How dare you even think of a possibility that your future wife would divorce you for legit reasons like..."I'm bored" or "I'm just not happy anymore". That never happens.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:13 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I'm in medical school to be a doctor someday. I'll have a lot to protect when that day comes but thanks for being condescending towards me though . More than half of marriages fail and women are the ones who usually file for divorce. Love is not unconditional anymore so why not protect myself? It's my decision and I'm not going to argue about it.
So the answer to my question " Do you "HAVE" ( not will you some day have) substantial assets to protect the answer would be NO, I do not.
Which led to my second question ... " if you do not have assets to protect" what would be the purpose of having a prenup? How is that being condescending towards you?
If you in deed are in medical school, become a doctor and " some day" make substantial money a prenup would make sense.... No argument there.
Maybe I can re-ask in the general sense ( that way you won't be offended).
49ersfan... Do you think that a prenup would be in order if one hasn't substantial assets to protect?
Your comment about divorce was a straw man... Just because it may be the woman who files doesn't mean that he's the automatic victim, but if it makes you feel better to say it... Rock on.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:35 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You work and go to med school?

Yeah, right.
Yeah it is right. I'm a first year student but work in retail during the weekends. It's kind of a pain because I really don't have any free time anymore.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:37 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,399,799 times
Working during medical school? Well, considering all the time you have to post, that sounds about right.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:01 PM

96 posts, read 78,453 times
My husband and I have a prenup. He had substantial assets that he doesn't want to lose in the event of divorce. Being married isn't just a religious thing, it's a legal contract. We didn't get married simply because we loved each other. Though that IS the majority of the reason. But there are other legal ramifications of being married. Which means that we looked at it a legal contract, and when looking at it that way, we also looked at what would happen if one of us breached the contract and what those consequences would be.

We are a practical couple. We love each other and have built a life together, but we could have done that without being married. Because we wanted to join our lives legally for some very practical reasons, we looked at it from all angles. Including what would happen if we divorced. It doesn't mean we love each other any less than any couple without a pre-nup.

Oh, and I kept my own last name. I'm a double heathen!

Old 11-23-2015, 04:07 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Yeah it is right. I'm a first year student but work in retail during the weekends. It's kind of a pain because I really don't have any free time anymore.
What kind of med school leaves you time to pursue a job for enough hours to offset tuition?

Most of us didn't have time to freakin' exercise, let alone work all weekend.

In any case, you can forget your pie in the sky dreams of mucho moolah that requires vigilant protection. You'll be comfortable but it's not some special situation that other people in normal jobs don't also have.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:14 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question2015 View Post
C'mon guys. Be good troopers and go along with the wealth redistribution. How dare you even think of a possibility that your future wife would divorce you for legit reasons like..."I'm bored" or "I'm just not happy anymore". That never happens.
Or "I'm tired of you inserting your penis into unauthorized orifices".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships