Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 12:56 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,574 times

Advertisements

Didn't we just have a thread like this recently? Seems like a lot of job snobs out there. Shooting down a potential mate just because they don't have the social status that all of the CEOs here on CD have seems pretty shallow. It's like somehow if a person has a menial, blue collar job that they're somehow less of a person than say the douchebag exec at Taco Bell who ***** slapped the Uber driver the other day. Job status doesn't buy you class or character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 12:59 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariez149 View Post
Say you met a truly gorgeous smart, intelligent funny woman, but she worked, say, at McDonald's flipping burgers and she had absolutely no desire to ever get anything better, would you stay or go?

These two would not go hand in hand, so it is a moot point.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:07 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
We'd be nothing more than casual dating or FWBs. You GOT to do better than flipping burgers to be in the relationship zone with me.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:12 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
If the person is jumping from job to job ,there is a problem ,it's called getting along and patience and forgiveness.
No matter how hot she is in some ways , if she is hot headed at work, very likely hot headed at home.
The type of job might matter if she is a supervisor or management ,no, not even interested .Friends yes ,
Some one accustomed to working as a team, YES .
IMO , women that are driven to success have that drive to run every thing at home as well , and that's fine for some men .
That need a mother. not meant as an insult ,some men thrive on being mothered and some women love mothering their man.
I have work quite well under many women supervisors , it doesn't bother me , they are the responsible party upper management are watching.
On the other hand a woman with no management skills at all, do not manage children very well either.
So it's a balance . IMO

Old 11-03-2015, 02:29 PM

252 posts, read 187,999 times
Thing is though, there's usually a reason, a personality flaw, that has her working some garbage gig.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:08 PM

971 posts, read 689,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariez149 View Post
So there has been some question as to whether men care as much that a woman be successful as a man or not. So here is my question:

Say you met a truly gorgeous smart, intelligent funny woman, but she worked, say, at McDonald's flipping burgers and she had absolutely no desire to ever get anything better, would you stay or go?
I make enough to support a two person household comfortably, so I would not mind if the woman half had a menial job or no job. If a woman is sweet, trustworthy (biggie) and is a good person, who cares.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:12 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
These two would not go hand in hand, so it is a moot point.
That was my thought. If she's that intelligent, why is she working at McDonald's with no ambition to do better?

Old 11-03-2015, 03:37 PM

163 posts, read 138,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
That was my thought. If she's that intelligent, why is she working at McDonald's with no ambition to do better?
Does one that even if they are intelligent always have to equal being super ambitious looking for big money? Perhaps someone is intelligent but doesn't want the added pressure of what "having more ambition" would bring. Reminds me of the episode of House where there's a super intelligent guy that accomplished a lot but hated it so he purposely tried to numb his intelligence and got a job working as a delivery man.

Personally it wouldn't matter to me. In fact being more of a loner I'd prefer it. Probably means she's okay with just chilling around the house and is very easy going as opposed to a career woman that is always gone and working.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:48 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMan86 View Post
Does one that even if they are intelligent always have to equal being super ambitious looking for big money? Perhaps someone is intelligent but doesn't want the added pressure of what "having more ambition" would bring. Reminds me of the episode of House where there's a super intelligent guy that accomplished a lot but hated it so he purposely tried to numb his intelligence and got a job working as a delivery man.

Personally it wouldn't matter to me. In fact being more of a loner I'd prefer it. Probably means she's okay with just chilling around the house and is very easy going as opposed to a career woman that is always gone and working.

No one said anything about being ambitious and looking for big money, did they? There is a HUGE gulf between flipping burgers and being a power executive.

I just know the people I connect with wouldn't be mentally satisfied with that type of work. Even those that have passions that are bigger than their work (often artistic) wouldn't be satisfied with THAT type of menial labor.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:59 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
As long as they are able to support themsleves outside of others help, have a drive in life and still had things in common that kept my interests up...sure.

I would prefer a well rounded indivual over someone stuck on either end of the spectrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships