Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 06:06 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times

Advertisements

Well, adult is a stretch, but at 23 I was going to shows and parties all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 06:49 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,443,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smisk View Post
I'm 23 and haven't been on any kind of date since July 2014. My biggest problem is that I don't really have any way of meeting women.. I work in a field that is mostly men. I have a few friends I hang out with regularly but I don't meet girls through them. Other than that most of my hobbies are solitary, video games, reading, playing bass etc. I go to concerts sometimes too but rarely talk to people there.
I've tried both Tinder and OKcupid but it is very rare that anyone responds to my messages. Any advice?
Why is that? When I was a little older than you, that's almost exclusively how I met women. I always found it easy to strike up a conversation, much easier than doing cold approaches or supermarkets. You know you have at least one shared interest, seeing who is performing. Not sure what kind of music you're into and I see you are in N. Virginia (close to D.C.?) When I go to shows at several venues there are a lot of women in your age range. OKC worked great for me, however I doubt I would have had a much success in my twenties as I do know.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:59 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
Why is that? When I was a little older than you, that's almost exclusively how I met women. I always found it easy to strike up a conversation, much easier than doing cold approaches or supermarkets. You know you have at least one shared interest, seeing who is performing. Not sure what kind of music you're into and I see you are in N. Virginia (close to D.C.?) When I go to shows at several venues there are a lot of women in your age range. OKC worked great for me, however I doubt I would have had a much success in my twenties as I do know.
In particular, the EDM scene in DC and NoVA is one of the best places to meet new people I've ever encountered. Especially if you can tailgate, I've never felt more comfortable going up to folks and saying what up.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:13 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,443,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
You don't have a supermarket or bar near you? It's a numbers game man, you gotta be where the chicks are. Yet going to country music shows, chicks love that crap.
I hear what this guy is saying, but I think if it were me, I'd ask myself; What are the group activities I like or want to do most? They I'd start doing them, I'd find groups of people also interested. You would probably make friends, and if there aren't any attractive ladies, then in discussion you could see if the new friends, have a suitable friend/relative to set you up with. If you are an interesting, and affable person, you will be set up with some dates.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:15 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
New hobbies mate gym for example

I work with men only so for dating I go out in the pub/bar scene and try my luck.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:20 AM

6,414 posts, read 4,908,175 times
When I was your age, many years ago before the advent of online dating, I had many problems as well. I was working at the family business so it was difficult if not impossible to know a persons true feeling or agenda. I met a few nice women in a self improvement group I was in. My best luck was when I put an ad in the newspaper and got loads of dates, unfortunately I picked the wrong woman. After my divorce and recovery I started using Match, POF and Yahoo and although I didn't meet the right one at least I had some dates and felt better about myself. Eventually I joined eHarmony and met my wonderful wife and I have been happily married for 4+ years. My advice is to try a few dating sites which will at least get you out of your rut and back in the game.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:26 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,443,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
In particular, the EDM scene in DC and NoVA is one of the best places to meet new people I've ever encountered. Especially if you can tailgate, I've never felt more comfortable going up to folks and saying what up.
I've heard this from some of my younger co-workers too who have had good success.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:33 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,607,661 times
OP: is the problem that you just don't see women to whom you are attracted, or do you see them but just don't "meet" them?

Old 11-05-2015, 09:43 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Many of them go online nowadays. It was taboo at first but now very common.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:55 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smisk View Post
I'm 23 and haven't been on any kind of date since July 2014. My biggest problem is that I don't really have any way of meeting women.. I work in a field that is mostly men. I have a few friends I hang out with regularly but I don't meet girls through them. Other than that most of my hobbies are solitary, video games, reading, playing bass etc. I go to concerts sometimes too but rarely talk to people there.
I've tried both Tinder and OKcupid but it is very rare that anyone responds to my messages. Any advice?
You gotta get out of the house more. They won't come ringing on your doorbell.

meetup.com is perfect for your age group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships