Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 10:56 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't understand. Is it that you don't like someone else's kids; you just want your own? Or you don't care for the drama that comes with dealing with your gf's ex and all the visitation, child support, and the like? A lot of times, the kids are great, it's all the headache and infighting between exes. I've talked to a lot of single moms who don't want to be in a relationship with other people with kids. Now that's a head scratcher
Because it is even harder to blend families when you both have kids. I also hate getting attached to the kids and then missing them terribly when the relationship ends. I friended my exes children's mother just so I could keep seeing the kids.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:56 AM

570 posts, read 721,314 times
There are none.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I have no problem dating a single mom, but there have been times when I ask myself "Will her kids like me?" I've known instances in which the kids "hated Mom's boyfriend" and showed it!
My kids hated my last boyfriend. They liked his children and were respectful to him but when he was gone they were thrilled. They love my current boyfriend.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:59 AM

52,243 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Because it is even harder to blend families when you both have kids. I also hate getting attached to the kids and then missing them terribly when the relationship ends. I friended my exes children's mother just so I could keep seeing the kids.
This pain you talk of, that is why I don't recommend people sharing children til they know that they are a keeper, kids don't need this drama in their lives, this exact post is what I always rant about, and how people shouldn't meet the kids till they know.......

Old 11-08-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
This pain you talk of, that is why I don't recommend people sharing children til they know that they are a keeper, kids don't need this drama in their lives, this exact post is what I always rant about, and how people shouldn't meet the kids till they know.......
Know what?

Old 11-08-2015, 11:37 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,832 times
I think that your attitude plays a major factor in any relationship where kids are involved. If I'm dating a single mom I would try to make her kids as comfortable as possible in that I will talk to them, never at them, and treat them with respect. Many years ago, my Dad had a gf who was very bossy, manipulative and intimidating - things you do not bring into a relationship! The kids may differ from you in terms of interests, but that's OK. The principal factor is mutual respect.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:17 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,271,896 times
We are not a collective bunch that have the same qualities. I cannot say what the benefit would be in you dating a single mother that i do not know. In fact you would know more about what she brings to the table, than I do. We are all individuals, there is not one collective trait that you can apply across the board so that you feel more comfortable doing what makes you uncomfortable. If you meet a single mother and see no real value in her then don't date her. It's that easy.

Single mothers are still women. With unique personalities, lives, jobs, morals, etc. The benefits of dating one will depend on you and how much or how little the woman blows your mind. I know for myself I am not so one dimensional that my kid defines me or is the only component that makes me who I am. I am more than a mother, and I have yet to meet a woman that is the same as me. I can list many things that I believe are benefits and have never had a problem with a man seeing value and the benefits in dating me. In fact I have had plenty of men approach me when I have my child with me. They see a woman that they are attracted to, that they want to f*** and possibly get to know. Just like they do when they see other women. The difference is that they also see a kid that they may or may not want to deal with. Once they get to know me and see the type of woman I really am and the dynamic I have in terms of my son and myself they make a decision-either they want to date me or they do not. I have not had the latter happen. Which lets me know that me benefits must be pretty darn good even as a single mother.

I cannot tell you who to date or why-that is on you but I can say that life is too short to do things that you don't see value in doing or that you aren't obligated to do. You should not date single moms IMO because you don't really want to. It doesn't make you a bad person or mean or wrong or stupid. You know what you want and what you don't want. Don't settle for less.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:26 PM

7 posts, read 7,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
I can list many things that I believe are benefits and have never had a problem with a man seeing value and the benefits in dating me. In fact I have had plenty of men approach me when I have my child with me. They see a woman that they are attracted to, that they want to f*** and possibly get to know. Just like they do when they see other women. The difference is that they also see a kid that they may or may not want to deal with. Once they get to know me and see the type of woman I really am and the dynamic I have in terms of my son and myself they make a decision-either they want to date me or they do not. I have not had the latter happen. Which lets me know that me benefits must be pretty darn good even as a single mother.
What does your current boyfriend say about dating single moms?

Old 11-08-2015, 12:41 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,271,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonvel View Post
What does your current boyfriend say about dating single moms?
I am not in a relationship now, by choice. The last relationship I was in I never asked him what he thought about dating me as a single mother or dating single mothers. It was not a discussion we ever had because as I said I am more than just a mother when we we're together we talked and did things that had nothing to do with me being a mom. I was the first single mom he dated. I'm sure it was a different experience for him-in some ways negative in others positive. But his experience with me may not be anything like the experience you would have dating a single mother because as I said we are individuals.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:44 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post

Single mothers are still women. With unique personalities, lives, jobs, morals, etc.
Exactly. Single moms are PEOPLE, not a separate species, FFS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.