Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 11:05 AM

20,349 posts, read 14,623,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Holy cow, I knew I was going to get the advice telling me to date someone less educated. See what I mean by the disconnect? Didn't I tell you that I wasn't going to pursue her? And you want people not to be hostile?
Yeah I think that poster misunderstood. Either that, or I did.

To be clear, it's not so much the actual level of education or intelligence or independence that is the issue, it's the empty "look at me I'm smart" 50 cent words and talking like they're conducting a corporate meeting, in what should be an informal setting (dating) as well as the overall fakeness of white collar DC culture, and the need of some women to put tags like "educated" on their dating profiles...

You are not looking for stupid women. Just women who don't make a huge show of being a puffed up, pretentious smarty-pants.

No?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 11:07 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,968,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
OP, why in the world are you watching old Oprah clips in the middle of the night??

And why attempt to categorize "women" by A woman you chatted with online???

If someone is condescending to you, move on. If someone doesn't even appear to value you as a person, move on.

But don't get confused about education and success and independence. If you are confident in yourself, you don't blame a mismatch on her being successful.
Am I asking for advice? Why are you yelling as if I have having some dating issue in this matter? Didn't I tell you that I don't normally go for these types but I was willing to test?

The clip was to support my position when it comes to women that are so involved with their careers.

Why don't you relax, I am sensing a bit of hostility towards me. I am not asking for advice- very disconnecting of you.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Well, I responded to post that I'm not 'self-proclaimed' educated...I have a master's degree that proves it.

However, I don't feel a need to go around proclaiming it to anyone.

Re: your example, she is within her rights to want to stake her claim...she is proud of overcoming whatever obstacles she experienced. We may not enjoy her company, and that is our right also.

your mistake was in contacting her in the first place. She was very clear in communicating her message and you ignored it (probably because of her picture)

Congrats! you are more self aware than she is. Now, go out and keep looking for the right woman and stop fretting about the women who aren't right.
Tinder is a photo app, there isn't really much to read. It's swipe as you go. There is no long list of needs or wants.
I am just expressing and sharing my experience and wanted to get other's opinions. Why are you trying to advise me?

9,196 posts, read 7,224,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I can usually discern a typo if it's a regular poster, and it's not an issue since I know their writing style or diction and understand what they're saying.

But repeated mistakes aren't really typos. I'm even a sticker with grammar and spelling with my 5th and 3rd graders. They know better than to use it, and their teachers love me for it. They're great writers!
My greatest weakness is punctuation, and it's my own damn fault. I was a major **** head in middle school, and happened to have English teachers that I didn't like very much, so I would deliberately use incorrect punctuation, thinking it would pizz them off. Turns out the only one I screwed over was myself, because after spending two solid years using incorrect punctuation on purpose, I lost the ability to use correct punctuation. My commas and colons are all over the ****ing place. Syntax could use a little work, too. I thought I could avoid it altogether by majoring in accounting, but the joke was on me, because most of my electives involved writing. I'd be lost without Grammar Ginger.

6,304 posts, read 9,006,222 times
I dated a guy for a short time who used "corporate speak" in non-work conversations. It seemed so bloody phony to me.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:11 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,363,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
You mean a "stickler."

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

I agree, though, that repeated mistakes aren't typos. It's one thing to be pedantic about things like "can vs. may" or "bring vs. take," but certain things, such as "you're vs your," should have been learned in high school. I understand that people are in a rush while typing and don't care as much on a message board, but that kind of should be ingrained in your head by now.

And can people please stop using ellipses as periods, or worse, multiple commas? When you write like that, I picture you babbling like a lunatic with spit drooling out of your mouth. If you don't know what an ellipsis is for, don't use it.
Ha! Yes! Stickler with an "L." A sticker... bahahaha.

I gotta love the multiple commas. I mean, really, it's creative. I have to wonder why or how it became a thing, though. I've only seen it used here.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
What you are saying is true, BUT black women (or any women) can't complain if it puts off potential suitors. Men would like to think they can provide something to a woman, if not financially, then emotionally. That attitude just says you stupid men we don't need you, you all are sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You can always look at it that way. You can always look at someone saying they don't need you as some kind of an insult. However, you could also look at it is they don't need you, but they really really want you.

And I'd much rather be wanted then needed. People who need to be needed are extremely insecure at the core.
Thanks for the contribution.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:13 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,363,653 times
Can someone provide an example of corporate speak? I'm trying to picture how it would be used outside the work/corporate context.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
I'm confused.... Where is the corporate jargon?? I don't see any in that post...

I'm assuming you don't like the vocabulary she used to express herself? That's the only take away I could gather from your op.

I agree with others if you don't like women that are educated then don't date them.
I agree that you should read my post where I said I don't. I was just testing this one out but I will not pursue. Why are you so disconnected with this need to advise me when I specifically said I don't want it?

Old 11-19-2015, 11:15 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,513,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I can usually discern a typo if it's a regular poster, and it's not an issue since I know their writing style or diction and understand what they're saying.

But repeated mistakes aren't really typos. I'm even a sticker with grammar and spelling with my 5th and 3rd graders. They know better than to use it, and their teachers love me for it. They're great writers!
I know you've corrected mine a couple of times LOL.

But seriously I'm not an educated person and I've never been so particular about my grammar/spelling/typos etc until I joined CD. At times I have felt a bit overwhelmed by a few of the posts and the fact quite a lot are professional writers on here and it did upset me a touch that I couldn't join in or even answer someone back properly.

However now I'm starting to pay more attention and have more confidence to join in certain topics that I wouldn't have considered before and I do actually owe that to CD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships