Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 09:03 PM

1,089 posts, read 579,288 times

Advertisements

Anybody ever call someone you met on a dating site, only to have the conversation feel so awkward that it was almost painful? When that happens, is it best to just move on? I don't like to be judgmental, but I believe chemistry between people is important, and I've had enough experiences where I felt chemistry the first time I met a person (whether it be dating or friendship, it's all the same). We've only been in contact for 5 days, so I can't believe it would be an issue. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 09:10 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,341 times
I had one phone call that was awful and awkward and I never spoke to the person again. Why do I want to be with a person that is awkward, unpleasant, weird and boring???? I would rather watch Netflix than do that.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:45 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,525,573 times
How old are you? I think that a lot of 30-40-somethings have started to lose their phone conversational skills, as it seems there's hardly ever a need to do it anymore. We're getting rusty! And Millennials? A lot of them NEVER talk on the phone...the phone is a thing for texting, social media, email, Web browsing and photos, not for talking to someone!

Old 11-19-2015, 10:42 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
How old are you? I think that a lot of 30-40-somethings have started to lose their phone conversational skills, as it seems there's hardly ever a need to do it anymore. We're getting rusty! And Millennials? A lot of them NEVER talk on the phone...the phone is a thing for texting, social media, email, Web browsing and photos, not for talking to someone!
Except for business stuff, family and a very select few (maybe not even a few) good friends, I pretty much never talk on the phone.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:33 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
No chemistry over the phone? I wouldn't expect any chemistry in person. Move on.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:37 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
No chemistry over the phone? I wouldn't expect any chemistry in person. Move on.
I don't know if this is necessarily true. At least in the early stages, you may not have chemistry over the phone, but have chemistry in person.

There's been cases where the chemistry on the phone for some were off the charts, but it didn't translate in person.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:40 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
I don't know if this is necessarily true. At least in the early stages, you may not have chemistry over the phone, but have chemistry in person.

There's been cases where the chemistry on the phone for some were off the charts, but it didn't translate in person.
He said the conversation was almost painful. I think the chemistry in person is highly impossible.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:24 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,494 times
I never call someone before a date just texting. I guess I prefer the awkwardness in person!

Old 11-20-2015, 07:27 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
I never call someone before a date just texting. I guess I prefer the awkwardness in person!

This is one of the biggest reasons some cannot communicate properly using their voice in person or on the phone.

Original Poster: You appear to want something that is generally known after you meet so why not meet and see what happens.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:21 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
Anybody ever call someone you met on a dating site, only to have the conversation feel so awkward that it was almost painful?
Yes, and it was painful. Almost 30 minutes on the phone with more awkward silence than actual talking. He was really good at email and warned me he wasn't good on the phone but wow! He still wanted to meet after that, but I declined. Not just because of that but because I had told him from the start I did NOT want a long-distance relationship. He was a few years older than me and wanted to know if I had nieces or nephews to take care of me when I'm old because he'd likely die first and he'd had determined it would make more sense for him to ultimately move here because I have ties to my community and he doesn't. He was planning out our life together (which included me giving up my male friends) based on how good I looked on paper.

I also recently talked to someone from Tinder that was awkward because he told me all about how his marriage went wrong, he doesn't have any friends, went off on some weird tangent comparing having sex to flying and crashing a plane full of people, and wanted to know if I was going to be able to spend 3-4 hours a day with him growing our relationship. I didn't meet him either.

The last guy I actually dated was also awkward on the phone. A 6-minute call to set up a date felt like an hour. Perhaps that should have been a sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships