Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 12:22 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times

Advertisements

I have and would prefer never to again.

I ended up ignoring most of what they had to say most of the time. Not becuase I didn't care about them, but becuase they wore me out and I was socially drained by the amount of talking and listening they spured.

A ten minute diatribe about electric outlets just becuase one is in the same room as you ISNT needed.

You can only talk so much before you have to find things to keep talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 12:23 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What I don't understand, is why it's so common in the US. I haven't run into it anywhere else, except once in Russia. But the person talking compulsively was known to be suffering from the trauma of his young daughter's untimely death, so his friends and colleagues kindly took pity on him, and explained it as a reaction to trauma. Clearly, it was considered abnormal behavior, unbalanced behavior.

What could possibly explain the prevalence of it in the US?
Perhaps confidence Ruth?

The Americans I've met were very friendly and chatty and that all stems from being confident in my opinion

I'm not sure if you've been to the UK or not but we love a chat or 2 also

Old 11-20-2015, 12:27 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Perhaps confidence Ruth?

The Americans I've met were very friendly and chatty and that all stems from being confident in my opinion

I'm not sure if you've been to the UK or not but we love a chat or 2 also
But, you understand that the topic isn't about "chatting", it's about monopolizing the "conversation", to the point that there is no conversation, only a monologue? It's an illness.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:39 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But, you understand that the topic isn't about "chatting", it's about monopolizing the "conversation", to the point that there is no conversation, only a monologue? It's an illness.
I do now LOL

I've never actually looked at it like that before I thought the OP was talking in general not about people monopolising the conversation and taking control?

Old 11-20-2015, 12:49 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,225,806 times
No thanks. I find motormouths exhausting.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:01 PM

20,391 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Yeah, that whole monologue thing where you can't get a word in edgewise...

My ex is like that. And he is one of the most unbalanced and messed up people I know. It's extremely stressful to be around him, because he just never stops talking. And he can sit there and do this for like 6 hours straight.

He rants.
He lectures.
He goes on and on about conspiracy theories.
He can talk for hours about his feelings (so much for men not doing that) and about how awful it is to be a man in the dating scene.
He talks about how much he'd love to see other people suffer and "the world burn."

I enjoy conversation, but would avoid anyone who did this in a way that reminded me of him, for absolutely sure. I also am unlikely to date anyone who has the same first name, or the same zodiac sign, or reminded me of him in any major way.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:09 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I can make small talk and carry a conversation if the other person is quiet, but people who do all the talking bore me. I actually like comfortable silence and will let the dialogue lapse to see how it feels with that person. Comfortable silence means a kindred spirit. Now and then I meet someone who will just not shut up. I volunteered at my son's school for something and the woman with me just went on and on about her brother. I made appropriate "Mmm" and "Oh, wow" and "That's neat" noises at periodic intervals, and on and on and on she went. Now and then she'd have to pause because the task at hand needed her attention, and after that was over, she'd say, "Anyway, as I was saying ..." as if I was dying to hear the end of the story.

Sooooo boring.
Omg, yes, there is a motor mouth in my family who doesn't understand the meaning of companionable silence and will talk for hours. Or worse, let me get involved in something absorbing like a good book, then interrupt me constantly to try to start chit chat, even when there is no response. Then, when I am ready to talk, leaves the room.

And I have a narcissist in the family who will assume that everyone else in the room does things the same way and rant and repeat himself for hours until we can change the subject, then he stomps off in a huff when he is no longer the center of attention.

And then there was my ex who would sit at the dinner table and stare at the wall when I was struggling to get him to make conversation with his KIDS and tell us about HIS day. Not exactly mr. personality.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:18 PM

6,419 posts, read 4,913,806 times
I had a lady-friend who would not stop talking for one second. I could not get a word in edgewise. It got to the point where I stopped calling and just went over there. When I was there I could change the subject easier.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:22 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Went out with a man that talked more than me and it was annoying.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:32 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,128 times
No. I was married to one. She'd spew our personal business to the neighbors, like "We're going away on vacation...we'll be gone this long..." Nice way to open our place to burglars and thieves!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships