Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 08:09 AM

311 posts, read 291,446 times

Advertisements

OP,
if you do decide to ask your brother if he is seeing someone,
please do so in private. I hate when people ask me these questions in front of everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 08:17 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,433,723 times
Maybe he has other priorities, maybe he just doesn't want to share with you. I went through periods in my life where I didn't date anyone because I was focused on other things. I've also never shared a lot of my dating life with family either, especially during the early stages. My family didn't meet my current G/F until I had been dating her for six months or so.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:34 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,670,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sure, he could be keeping it to himself.

The OP still hasn't told us how she "knows" he hasn't dated much in 5 years. I question whether she really knows that.

Even so, it's a lousy thing to do to someone, call them gay or think they're gay or discuss the possibility they're gay with family, just because they haven't been seen much with the opposite sex. It's just dumb.
I thought the OP was a man. But since the OP profile is private. What do I know

Old 12-04-2015, 08:47 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,313,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surftown831 View Post
He is good looking, fit, athletic, has a large group of friends, was in a college fraternity, is very social, outgoing, funny, etc. So it is very very odd that he has not had a girlfriend, and has rarely even dated anyone in the last 5 years. He does not act feminine in anyway (I know that many gay guys don't), he loves sports, he was in the military and is now in law enforcement...stuff that just doesn't scream "gay." But he hardly ever dates women. I know of only two women he briefly and casually dated, and the last girlfriend he had was in 2010 and that didn't last long either. I've recently talked about this with other family and they all think it is odd. Thoughts?
Have you checked "The guidebook for gays" maybe he has not read the requirements.
Must act feminine.
Must like Broadway shows
Must like to cook
Hates all sports except figure skating.
Must be sharped dresses at all times.

Either your brother doesn't know the rules or maybe you are paranoid that he might be gay.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:57 AM

102,077 posts, read 107,068,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
I thought the OP was a man. But since the OP profile is private. What do I know
Oh, could be, not that it matters. OP hasn't given us any clue in the posts.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:02 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,806,258 times
I don't understand why people care?! I am bi, so maybe I have different perspective, but I just wouldn't care if my brother/sister is dating or not dating anyone. It's their life, it's their choice, and when it's family your relationship with that individual isn't based at all if they are dating someone or not or if they are gay or straight. Really, who cares?

The only time I would care is if I saw my brother was getting very depressed because he is lonely. Then I would try to help. BUT, if that's not the case, and he is happy being single, let them do as they wish, and focus on your relationship with him rather other than why he is single.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:14 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,732,579 times
What if he is? Would that bother you? It's none of your business if he is, unless you want to find him someone.

Maybe he prefers "casual encounters" over actual relationships because he's not ready to commit for whatever reason.

Someone I dated has been "single" for years, it doesn't mean he's gay. He's not. He's as straight as it gets.

I am a woman who has been single for two years. Does that make me gay or sound like I am having an identity crisis? No. Sometimes, life takes over and you're busy with more important things which require your full attention. The lack of interest in committing to someone coupled with the disinterest in prospects who come your way could be the answer to your question. I know this is what a lot of people in their twenties/thirties go through.

It could be he is going on dates which go nowhere and therefore doesn't feel the need to disclose anything to you. My friends thought I was completely "single" at some point when I was going on dates which led to nothing. Hence, I didn't feel the need to tell them.

Regardless, his dating life is his business, not yours.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:17 AM

40 posts, read 22,008 times
Quote:
He is good looking, fit, athletic, has a large group of friends, was in a college fraternity, is very social, outgoing, funny, etc. So it is very very odd that he has not had a girlfriend, and has rarely even dated anyone in the last 5 years. He does not act feminine in anyway (I know that many gay guys don't), he loves sports, he was in the military and is now in law enforcement...stuff that just doesn't scream "gay." But he hardly ever dates women. I know of only two women he briefly and casually dated, and the last girlfriend he had was in 2010 and that didn't last long either. I've recently talked about this with other family and they all think it is odd. Thoughts?
Maybe he is seeing different women on the down low? I know some of the women I've dated in the past I wouldn't want to bring around my family.

As others have suggested, if this concerns you so much, just ask him about his love life.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:20 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,399,749 times
Quote:
Maybe he only claimed two women and he's been knocking them out of the park on a regular basis.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:44 AM

40 posts, read 22,008 times
Another thing to consider: ethnicity, religion.

What if he likes black women and your family disapproves? Maybe he likes Asian women? I'm white and I've "dated" more Asian women than white women. I've "dated" a couple of black women.

I know though my family wouldn't be too happy if I married someone who is not white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships