Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 11:55 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
In regards to the question in the thread title, I'm just going to guess that a lot of you haven't heard of this term. I came across this late last night and wanted to share this article with you guys and see what you all think.

What is Demisexuality? | Demisexuality Resource Center

I'm Demisexual -- Here's What That Means

Do you think it is a real thing? What do you think dating a Demisexual person would be like? Do you think it has an affect on fidelity?

The second link is shorter than the first. But if you want a more in depth explanation read both! I hope we can keep this discussion PG-13 because it's really interesting!

I thought it meant someone who only wants to have sexual relations with Demi Moore . . . or otherwise only with Demi Lovato. Oh well, what do I know?

Last edited by UsAll; 12-07-2015 at 12:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 06:40 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,428,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_bank View Post
Sometimes I make up words too.
All words are made up.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:52 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,913 times
Demisexual refers to a real phenomenon but it's not a sexual orientation. Sexual orientation only concerns itself with the who, not the how. It's just someone with a lower than average sex drive. Basically nothing about it makes it a 'persecuted sexual minority'. By definition 50% of the population are below average.

Consequently I think people who use the term are a bit guilty of snowflaking.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:43 PM

260 posts, read 239,359 times
There are only three real sexual orientations. Heterosexual, homosexual and bisexual. Anything else is made up. I've heard people try to make the distinction between bisexual and pansexual. Something along the lines of "pansexual means you're attracted to the person and you don't care about their gender" or some noise. If that's the case, you're bisexual. Pansexual, demisexual, it's all made up. If I was sexually attracted to paper towels, do I get a special (insert prefix here)sexual made for me?

Old 12-09-2015, 08:50 PM

35,058 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDothisoften View Post
There are only three real sexual orientations. Heterosexual, homosexual and bisexual. Anything else is made up. I've heard people try to make the distinction between bisexual and pansexual. Something along the lines of "pansexual means you're attracted to the person and you don't care about their gender" or some noise. If that's the case, you're bisexual. Pansexual, demisexual, it's all made up. If I was sexually attracted to paper towels, do I get a special (insert prefix here)sexual made for me?
Necrophilia? Pedophilia?

Old 12-09-2015, 09:12 PM

260 posts, read 239,359 times
Those are Philias, not sexual orientations. A bibliophile is someone who loves books.

Old 12-10-2015, 03:53 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,335,670 times
I think it's just a silly term,im definately like this though,I feel zero attraction to anyone but the guy im in love with,the idea of sex with anyone but him is just so awful to me.I don't think I will ever be sexually attracted to anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
In regards to the question in the thread title, I'm just going to guess that a lot of you haven't heard of this term. I came across this late last night and wanted to share this article with you guys and see what you all think.

What is Demisexuality? | Demisexuality Resource Center

I'm Demisexual -- Here's What That Means

Do you think it is a real thing? What do you think dating a Demisexual person would be like? Do you think it has an affect on fidelity?

The second link is shorter than the first. But if you want a more in depth explanation read both! I hope we can keep this discussion PG-13 because it's really interesting!

Old 12-10-2015, 03:57 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
I think it's just a silly term,im definately like this though,I feel zero attraction to anyone but the guy im in love with,the idea of sex with anyone but him is just so awful to me.I don't think I will ever be sexually attracted to anyone else.
Great post

I think any man would love a lady with that way of thinking

Old 12-10-2015, 04:09 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
I'm not sure about the label/diagnosis, but that certainly describes by 59-year-old husband. He was a virgin when he married his first wife when he was about 21 or 22, and he did not have sex with anyone else until after they separated and he met me. For the longest time (we were friends long before we became lovers), I honestly thought he was primarily asexual! (Btw, did he ever prove me wrong, lol!) And to this day, he has never shown the "normal" (meaning the usual) interest that men show in other women, I mean, although he has always looking at beautiful young women in lingerie ads, he NEVER flirted or showed any sexual interest in any "real" woman besides me after we "connected"; and although I was definitely attractive in my younger years, I have never been gorgeous or "hot" by any stretch of the imagination! Anyway, he is one of the nicest, sweetest, most loving and sensitive men I have ever known, so I would never even think of changing or exchanging him for anyone else.

So that's my input, for whatever it's worth.

Last edited by katharsis; 12-10-2015 at 04:49 PM..

Old 12-10-2015, 04:35 PM

31,031 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
I think it's a product of Special Snowflake Syndrome. They're so special that they need their own little star to wear and a special acknowledgment by everyone around them for their special attributes that make them so special.
Special Snowflake Syndrome is definitely prevalent in our society

As for as the world goes I can see it fitting a nitch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships