Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 08:45 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
For me, it would completely depend upon the circumstances.

I have strong negative feelings about the use of prescription drugs as the "be all, end all" of dealing with illness, whether physical or mental.

My main question would be, "what else are you doing to deal with this issue?".

I realize that there are exceptions, but oftentimes prescription drugs are meant to be used in conjunction with changes in lifestyle or other therapies. It is when these other changes are ignored that I have an issue with it.

For example, if someone has type 2 diabetes, there are some really good medications out there to get blood sugar and A1C down. I have no issues being with someone who is on this type of treatment, provided that they are doing their best to make the attendant diet and lifestyle changes.

You're on blood pressure meds? No problem, so long as you're working to eat healthy, exercise or making other changes that can help your condition.

You're on meds for depression, ADD or some other mental health issue? Again, no problem, so long as you're not using them as a crutch to avoid making changes in your life that might be helpful to your condition.
This is not an issue that can be "fixed." Some people seem to grow out of it b/c they learn coping mechanisms but there are varying degrees of severity and many people with AD/HD struggle for their entire lives, even with adderall. Also, those who've learned coping mechanisms may have just learned to hide it better or happened into a career where their gifts are recognized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 08:55 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
that is a temporary issue, that requires a temporary fix. Its not an ongoing thing where the person needs drugs everyday.
So no one on birth control...or anyone diabetic.

Last edited by LadyR1990; 12-06-2015 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: z

Old 12-06-2015, 09:05 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
This is not an issue that can be "fixed." Some people seem to grow out of it b/c they learn coping mechanisms but there are varying degrees of severity and many people with AD/HD struggle for their entire lives, even with adderall. Also, those who've learned coping mechanisms may have just learned to hide it better or happened into a career where their gifts are recognized.
Did I say anything about "fixing it"?

I only spoke about the use of drugs like adderall in conjunction with things like therapy, perhaps as a place to learn these "coping mechanisms".

People can obviously choose to do what they want to do in terms of treatment of physical or mental health issues. I'm just saying that I would have trouble being with someone who viewed taking a pill as the be all, end all of treatment.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:15 PM

121 posts, read 102,137 times
I take Adderall everyday at work. I've dealt with ADD my whole life (was held back in school, taken to a child psychologist, and had a 504 Plan most of my life). I firmly believe I would have been fired from every job I had if I wasn't on it. I don't feel like a different person at all in a negative way however, it does make me irritable but at least I get things done LOL.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:33 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
So no one on birth control...or anyone diabetic.
Go back and read post #8.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:44 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
This may be the funniest post I've ever seen... lololol
Guess not then LOL

Old 12-07-2015, 05:12 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Did I say anything about "fixing it"?

I only spoke about the use of drugs like adderall in conjunction with things like therapy, perhaps as a place to learn these "coping mechanisms".

People can obviously choose to do what they want to do in terms of treatment of physical or mental health issues. I'm just saying that I would have trouble being with someone who viewed taking a pill as the be all, end all of treatment.
Coping mechanisms are great and they do help but they often don't go far enough. As a fer-instance: I have a friend with pretty bad AD/HD and her refrigerator is perfect--always clean and well maintained and her house isn't bad either, but she can't work a job even though they badly need the money. I have it too and I am OCD about grammar, spelling, and punctuation but the rest of my life is often disheveled and that's with adderall. We both have fairly high IQ's so that's not the problem.

What the adderall really helped me with though was my social skills and I was able to learn to read social cues and listen more carefully to conversations and I probably made more friends in my first year on adderall than I had in my entire life before that. I also lost a few, due to getting more assertive but that was a good trade-off.

The thing to realize about AD/HD that most people don't know is that there is a huge layer of stress and much of that comes from trying to appear normal, not being able to find stuff due to disorganization, missed deadlines, broken relationships due to misunderstandings, etc etc etc. If adderall can help with that, why would someone not choose it? After all, stress is much more harmful than the adderall.

Oh and BTW, I am the holistic queen--never take meds for anything else--not even antibiotics, but I do take adderall. My life is hell without it. Yes, it takes a special person to be with me because I know it's not easy but I did manage to be married for 23 years.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:51 AM

186 posts, read 157,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Go back and read post #8.
Just curious, since you seem to be such a healthfreak: do you take vitamine supplements or something like that?

Old 12-07-2015, 07:44 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koeken View Post
Just curious, since you seem to be such a healthfreak: do you take vitamine supplements or something like that?
Not sure who this relates to the thread topic of "Could you date someone on adderall". Please explain how it relates to this thread topic and the OPs question and I'll answer it here. If it doesnt really relate to the thread, you can just send me a PM and I'll be happy to answer it for you.

We have to make sure we stay on topic.

Last edited by Kings Gambit; 12-07-2015 at 08:31 AM..

Old 12-07-2015, 07:47 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
AS long as the person is taking it as described, I have no issue with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships