Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 10:56 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Not everyone can afford this, the lab here charges $400 for a standard STD panel... that's $800/yr which to some is a lot of money especially in this economy. The other alternatives are the free county clinics but they are so overloaded it's not practical to go and sit there for hours if you have a job.

Well I live in a city (almost always have), so there are plenty of free ones to go to. I can't recall living anyplace that didnt have a few free options to avail oneself of, but if you live in a rural area or very small city it might be harder.

I personally generally go here, it never takes hours: Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD) Testing and Treatment- MGH

Or through my reg doctor when I have my physical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 10:59 AM

3 posts, read 2,376 times
Yes, I do. I also get tested once a year, even I've never behaved risky. I see it as obligation. Everybody is responsible for it's own life and health. Prevention never harmed anyone, it's better to think now than cry later.
For those who says they don't get tested because they use condom... Condoms are not always almighty and sometimes you can't predict accidents. In majority of cases they are safe to use, but if we know that with typical condom use, 15% of women get pregnant in one year, how much of them get some STD?

Old 12-08-2015, 11:36 AM

565 posts, read 432,774 times
Its really not that complicated, and Ive never really found these conversations awkward. Anytime I wasn't planning on using protection, I would just straight up ask when the last time they were tested or if they get tested regularly. I think it just shows that you are mature and care about yourself AND your partner. In cases when I wasn't asked, I would lean towards using protection, simply because it told me that if she didn't ask me, she probably didn't ask anyone else. The safest way to go about this, is to test yourself regularly, and use protection until you are ready to be in a monogamous and committed relationship. Anything else is pretty much playing Russian roulette with your own life. Immature and irresponsible.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:42 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
Free testing is only for poor people, the rest of us have to pay big bucks for testing

Old 12-08-2015, 01:48 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Free testing is only for poor people, the rest of us have to pay big bucks for testing
Even at Planned Parenthood?

Old 12-08-2015, 01:48 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times
Quote:
Not really.
depends on you health insurance/type of coverage....if you even have coverage at all.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:07 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Even at Planned Parenthood?
I had a relatively comprehensive panel done at PP last year. As I recall, it was about $250. Not covered by insurance.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:02 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
hehe, I just went in for this and was quoted $1600 for STD tests - which include only 7 stds, this is from Quest diagnostics AND I have insurance which said they will cover only HIV and syphillis and the other tests cost $1100 which I will have to pay... I said no thanks. Found a place that will do it for $250 for an entire 10 test panel out of pocket. Stay away from Quest or Blue Cross insurance, both a front for scams.

As I said these scam institutions are ripping off people left and right and you expect people to diligently get tested? Good luck...

Old 12-09-2015, 04:12 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
hehe, I just went in for this and was quoted $1600 for STD tests - which include only 7 stds, this is from Quest diagnostics AND I have insurance which said they will cover only HIV and syphillis and the other tests cost $1100 which I will have to pay... I said no thanks. Found a place that will do it for $250 for an entire 10 test panel out of pocket. Stay away from Quest or Blue Cross insurance, both a front for scams.

As I said these scam institutions are ripping off people left and right and you expect people to diligently get tested? Good luck...
I heard if you go to Planned Parenthood and just tell them you are jobless, they give you free testing. Not sure if it is true.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:21 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,428,288 times
Christ, Americans really are a sad paranoid nation. Medical tests, debt statement...anything else I'm missing before I have sex with somebody?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships