Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2015, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 637 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am just looking for some neutral feedback. I would appreciate your honest but respectful reply as I have been feeling down for quite some time. The goal is to see a therapist soon but I do not have health insurance at the moment. Im at 32 and he is 38 if that helps any.

My husband and I met in 2006 and married in 2010. In 2011 we decided to take the spontaneous leap to move to a big city which was always a huge dream of mine. The agreement was we'd live there 3-5 years and if we didn't like it we'd leave. Without jobs we started our new adventure. I ended up falling in love with the city and landing a job that I felt proud of, with excellent benefits to boot. In 2014 we had our first child together after a rough pregnancy where i was mostly confined at home sick. Sometime in 2014 it was decided we were going to move back to our home state (a state i never missed or wanted to go back to) after doing some math and realizing it would be more affordable to raise a child. Throughout that year i expressed that I really didnt want to go back, that i loved where i was, etc. His reply back was always that he wanted to go back to warmer weather (he hated the cold), a place where we had friends (we really didnt have a support system) and was more affordable. He stated (i think in anger) that the city was overrated. Admittedly he did angrily say on more than one occassion that we could stay - but i knew that he didnt want to. I felt guilty keeping him and also didnt want to deal with someone miserable with their living situation. We easily landed jobs back in our home state before we moved back and i thought to myself maybe this was a sign.

Just shy of 3 years and shy of a promotion we moved back to our home state in March 2015 and I have been depressed ever since!! I am SO angry that we left where we were. Things were great where we were imo, we had good paying jobs and lived in a great place. I was so angry that I felt like i became a different person. He offered to move back to the city - but i just couldnt/cant. I feel so angry that i was uprooted and left my job and spent money to leave a place i didnt want. The part that pisses me off the most was that after we left he had the nerve to say he didnt appreciate what he had there and that he missed it. I HATED my home state so much we actually moved without a job AGAIN to and went to the northeast (where there was family nearby). This time the move was more hasty than spontaneous. And so here we are - burning through our savings (though he did get a job and i just got one as well that i start monday). We both do not like it here. We both think its overpriced and quality of life has gone down a bit since everything is so expensive.

We are trying to figure out what our next steps are but I just do not know what to do. I find myself constantly throwing in his face that things were fine where we were. I have been angry, resentful and hateful towards him. I know he feels sad that I am sad but I dont know how to move past it and its hurting our marriage. When i think about where to go next there is no where that jumps out at me. Im scared that I will never get that excitement i had when I first moved. I feel like i will never have the excitement for a job that I did when I landed the one in the city. I feel so lost and unstable. Im grateful to have a roof over my head yet i still feel homeless/uncertain of the future. I actually would stay in the NE cause I kind of dont really care anymore but i do want to buy a home one day and settle down and that just isnt a reality here. I wish i could go back in time and had trusted my own instincts enough to say no - but even if i said no i wonder if it would have been so miserable for him that i would have been miserable anyways. I know i have a good husband but the resent is killing us. I know I am beating a dead horse but when i see him i dont feel love - i feel like hes someone who took me away from my happiness. Even though i did play a role in leaving too. I know we both wish we could change the past but we cant. I've cried so many tears over this and I want to be happy again. Im not sure why this is affecting me so much but if it werent for my son, i wouldnt want to wake up in the morning.

Any respectful thoughts/opinions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 08:33 AM

347 posts, read 427,305 times
I'm glad that you plan to see a therapist, because I do think that you need to work through some significant issues, and if you are depressed then you definitely need professional help to manage your depression.

However, could you make a list of other areas of the country to move to? And then investigate them before you move? Take your time to get settled where you are for a few months and then start talking. Perhaps there is a location that is a good compromise. A location that offers you the cost of living and quality of live that you want? At least I've found that when I feel stuck and unhappy if I make a plan of what my next move will be that my current situation seems a bit more bearable. Because I know that my current situation won't be forever, that there will be an end date. Not to mention, I get some time to concentrate on something other than my own unhappiness (which, for me personally, always helps pull me out of a funk).

Old 12-12-2015, 01:35 PM

226 posts, read 298,067 times
It's possible you are suffering from postpartum depression. It can last for years. You also mentioned being sick during your pregnancy. Hormonal changes during pregnancy can do wicked things to a woman, physically and emotionally. It is treatable. Please see your medical doctor and get a complete physical. If all is normal, then seek psychological therapy. Good luck!

Old 12-12-2015, 03:23 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
You can either be angry about past decisions, keep throwing it in his face, making you and him miserable, (which you can't do anything about, what is done is done) or you can put the past behind you and work on what you need to do now to make your marriage work and make where you are living now work for you.

Living in the past is never a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships