Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 02:01 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeony View Post
How long have you been in your current relationship?
Since August. But we have been very close since October of 2014 and have known each other since high school.

And I am not saying I want to marry him now, but I am dating for the purpose of marriage. I am done with cohabitation and relationships that go no where.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why ask at all? When he proposes you will know he wants marriage, if he does not propose within your established time frame you have to decide if you are going to stay in the relationship or move on to establish another time frame.
I have an 18 month timeframe in my head.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:07 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Is it men in the 35-40ish age do not want marriage or just the ones that I attract?

It's the ones you attract. If you look at the wedding announcements in the newspaper, you'll see that plenty of 30- and 40-something guys are getting married. Maybe you need to find new ways/venues to mingle and meet people...?

Old 12-13-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Most guys that have been married feel like they were raped in the divorce and the ones 35-40 never married either are not desirable or have avoided getting entangled and likely will continue to do so....buena suerte.
Well I left my ex husband in better shape than when he met me. I was the one that left with next to nothing.

Current bf, really faired ok also. He got the kids and kept everything. So no child support or alimony or anything.

Regardless, if I marry again it will be for good. I won't marry if forever is questionable.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:08 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,020,489 times
Quote:
And before I do date someone, I ask if marriage is something they see in their future. Every single one has said yes they want marriage. Maybe I need a new way of asking so I get the truth from the get go and don't waste more time.
No, there is no magic word you can say that will force a suitor to be honest about his intentions, although I do think it's a good idea to be upfront about yours from the beginning. All you can do is to pay close attention to day-to-day actions and words. When a guy says something like "remind me never to marry you," he's made his decision, and it's time to move on, though he may well deem the relationship good enough for right now and may want to drag things out.

In future relationships that feel as if they may be moving towards marriage, if there isn't a proposal within, I'd say, 18 months to 2 years at the very most, if you sincerely want to be married, walk. If a man in the 35-40 age bracket hasn't made a commitment in that timeframe, it's likely he never will, or will only grudgingly, and you don't want that.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Most guys that have been married feel like they were raped in the divorce and the ones 35-40 never married either are not desirable or have avoided getting entangled and likely will continue to do so....buena suerte.
"Most" guys? Less than half feel that way, because most divorces never go to court, quite a few are more or less amicable or matter-of-fact. If you mean "most guys who create internet blogs on divorce", that is definitely plausible.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's the ones you attract. If you look at the wedding announcements in the newspaper, you'll see that plenty of 30- and 40-something guys are getting married. Maybe you need to find new ways/venues to mingle and meet people...?
Such as? Online dating sucks. I work in an a mostly male industry. I have very manly hobbies. I am at a loss on where to look.

I speak guy language about cars, guns, atvs, etc. You would think I would have no issues. Bf thinks that most of our friends that have been together since high school are miserable and just staying married because it is easier. The romantic in me, can't possibly think this to be the case.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
No, there is no magic word you can say that will force a suitor to be honest about his intentions, although I do think it's a good idea to be upfront about yours from the beginning. All you can do is to pay close attention to day-to-day actions and words. When a guy says something like "remind me never to marry you," he's made his decision, and it's time to move on, though he may well deem the relationship good enough for right now and may want to drag things out.

In future relationships that feel as if they may be moving towards marriage, if there isn't a proposal within, I'd say, 18 months to 2 years at the very most, if you sincerely want to be married, walk. If a man in the 35-40 age bracket hasn't made a commitment in that timeframe, it's likely he never will, or will only grudgingly, and you don't want that.
I am not sure I would even know a relationship that is moving towards marriage. The men I am most happy with, see myself marrying, usually have a hidden agenda that does not include marriage.

I do feel that it is not just me. None of my exes have married after me. Current bf knows that I am not looking for cohabitation or an eternal relationship that goes no where.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Such as? Online dating sucks. I work in an a mostly male industry. I have very manly hobbies. I am at a loss on where to look.

I speak guy language about cars, guns, atvs, etc. You would think I would have no issues. Bf thinks that most of our friends that have been together since high school are miserable and just staying married because it is easier. The romantic in me, can't possibly think this to be the case.
hmm..... Maybe you live in an area where there aren't many singles in that age group, IDK. Geography can make a huge difference. Do you go to car shows (of all kinds, incuding antiques/classics)? Shooting or archery ranges? Volunteer for Habitat For Humanity? Look for non-profits to volunteer for that attract the age-range you're looking for. See what other opp'ties to mingle that your community offers, that suit you.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:24 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
I have an 18 month timeframe in my head.
So you have 14 months to go before you have to decide anything...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships