Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 09:56 AM

17 posts, read 8,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse444 View Post
I can't speak for others but in my view Marriage is much more than a piece of paper. It's not a thing I feel someone should rush into haphazardly, but many do. I've witnessed many friends who've had solid marriages and those who've failed at it time and again. What I've concluded after much observation and careful consideration is when two people are right for one another it will shine. They need no such piece of paper because they're married in spirit, and that holds greater weight than any parchment can ever bestow.

As for men in their 30's & 40's I'd have to say most probably have already been married once and are now divorced. That can have a very negative effect on their thoughts about marriage. For the few who've never been married at that age, they have likely given up on any such thoughts. Because at their age the longing they hoped for in their youth has since passed.
You can be married at any age for the first time even at 30,40 or 50 or whatever. Or even be married if you can't handle it then don't get married

Old 12-20-2015, 09:56 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holidaytuneine View Post
You said it "it's not easy". People nowadays think that they will live a Cinderella marriage because they look more for the party reception instead of life with the person. Plus people don't put the real deal of marriage. Let's say your spouse looses his or her job and they were living the life of luxury and now the spouse has to take a lower paying job or has a hard time finding a new job because remember the economy isn't that good yet and no ones job is garunteed. Or let's say your spouse gets cancer or comes down with a disability that he looses their eyesight and you are now limited as where you can go and do things. Are you going to bail in your spouse then? If the person bails out then they are a sorry excuse for a person then? Because they never honored the vows they said in church from the get go meaning in sickness or in health or for better or worse. If they bail out then it is true they got married for show and are selfish
All people nowadays think marriage is a Cinderella story? Really? I think you're being disingenuous.

Would I bail on my spouse for any of the circumstances listed above? No, and we've been through quite a lot in our twenty-seven years of marriage. You're making sweeping generalizations without anything to support your contentions. Plenty of us out here in the real world have made commitments to life-long relationships and are living up to them. We know it's not a Cinderella story, but we're happy and content all the same.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:57 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Yes that is the problem that women are the ones who are more desperate for marriage and they know how to trap a guy for marriage. They should think with what is in their head and not with what is between their legs
Men are very good at trapping women for marriage, too. Some hide their bad temperaments until after the ceremony, then suddenly they roll out the control trips, the anger fits, the emotional abuse. Don't kid yourself, New Member. Everyone needs to be cautious and sensible when approaching a huge commitment like that.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Men are very good at trapping women for marriage, too. Some hide their bad temperaments until after the ceremony, then suddenly they roll out the control trips, the anger fits, the emotional abuse. Don't kid yourself, New Member. Everyone needs to be cautious and sensible when approaching a huge commitment like that.
Wise words.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Well it can go both ways but women are the ones more who want marriage. They are the one thirsty for that engagement ring and big wedding party. Weddings are usually the woman's thing. Guys don't go picking the flowers or photographers or the wedding dress or even the invites or the bridal shower. So they need to do their homework

Old 12-20-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
All people nowadays think marriage is a Cinderella story? Really? I think you're being disingenuous.

Would I bail on my spouse for any of the circumstances listed above? No, and we've been through quite a lot in our twenty-seven years of marriage. You're making sweeping generalizations without anything to support your contentions. Plenty of us out here in the real world have made commitments to life-long relationships and are living up to them. We know it's not a Cinderella story, but we're happy and content all the same.
What rough things did you go through? Did your spouse loose their r job or come down with an illness?

Old 12-20-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Well it can go both ways but women are the ones more who want marriage. They are the one thirsty for that engagement ring and big wedding party. Weddings are usually the woman's thing. Guys don't go picking the flowers or photographers or the wedding dress or even the invites or the bridal shower. So they need to do their homework
You're peddling clichés, New Member. Nor adding anything constructive to the discussion. Or maybe you just hang out with money-grubbing women. The women friends of mine who are married either eloped, because they didn't want all the fuss and bother of a wedding (no engagement rings involved), or they had very small ceremonies with just a few friends. None had any showers, bridal or baby.

It sounds like you're the one who needs to do his homework. Been watching too much Jerry Springer? No one here is going to buy your stereotypes. You should try a different forum.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
What rough things did you go through? Did your spouse loose their r job or come down with an illness?
I'm not interested in giving you a run-down of my life history, but we've faced a number of significant hurdles in out nearly three decades together and remained loyal to each other "for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness, and in health" in the truest sense of those words.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:10 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
Quote:
You're peddling clichés, New Member. Nor adding anything constructive to the discussion. Or maybe you just hang out with money-grubbing women. The women friends of mine who are married either eloped, because they didn't want all the fuss and bother of a wedding (no engagement rings involved), or they had very small ceremonies with just a few friends. None had any showers, bridal or baby.

It sounds like you're the one who needs to do his homework. Been watching too much Jerry Springer? No one here is going to buy your stereotypes. You should try a different forum.
Agreed. I want to be married again, because I want the husband. The actual wedding does not matter. But I would prefer court house ceremony and a cookout at the house afterward.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
You keep asking people for highly personal information. What's your purpose on this forum, New Member? Some of those things are none of your concern. You can take people here at their word that they've been through the ups and downs of marriage and have weathered the storms. No need to pry for details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships