Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 07:35 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
While I agree with your sentiment, it might be a bit extreme to suggest that an environment where most of the guys 35+ have been married at least once is "backwards" (I've lived in many, many cities and have NEVER seen it where the scenario you suggest is the majority. Not by a long shot) For most people in most areas, if someone wants to get married, they've probably done it by 35. Sure, there's tons who marry later than that. And I haven't seen any stats, but it wouldn't surprise me to see that those are the marriages that are more likely to last. But none of that changes that getting married post-35 is the exception, not the rule.

Yep.

There's a lot of statistical analysis out there on median age of first marriages, some broken down by state, region, etc., and reading it critically, one can make a judgment call on the accuracy validity of individual studies and surveys. But looking at a wide cross-section, I've never seen anything that remotely suggests that first marriages post-35 are the average, anywhere in the U.S. They certainly do happen across all regions, but there's nowhere that they're incredibly common, at least common enough to qualify as a statistical norm. I haven't personally seen any data that puts the average age of first marriage for men anywhere above age 30. That's including East Coast cities, which skew older for first marriages more so than any other category of community. Still hover around 30, in terms of the most common age for first marriages for men. There are of course, still loads of men whose first marriages occur 35+, across regions. They just fall outside the statistical average. That doesn't make them highly scarce, however.

I can own that my spouse and I getting married, first time for both, in our upper thirties/lower forties makes us an outlier (certainly for our region, but overall, as well). It still wasn't particularly difficult to find one another.

And, honestly, if I were a divorced person with kids, I would be realistic that I'd be more likely to attract other divorced people with kids.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 12-14-2015 at 09:02 AM..

Old 12-14-2015, 07:37 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
While I agree with your sentiment, it might be a bit extreme to suggest that an environment where most of the guys 35+ have been married at least once is "backwards" (I've lived in many, many cities and have NEVER seen it where the scenario you suggest is the majority. Not by a long shot) For most people in most areas, if someone wants to get married, they've probably done it by 35. Sure, there's tons who marry later than that. And I haven't seen any stats, but it wouldn't surprise me to see that those are the marriages that are more likely to last. But none of that changes that getting married post-35 is the exception, not the rule.
Yes most are married by 35. I will even say most of my friends were married by 27-30. Now quite a few of us are divorced and trying to remarry.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:42 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
No, my ex husband is who I was referring to. My sons father I avoid like the plague. Sometimes he is ok and normal, and other times he is as crazy as they come. The problem is not knowing which it is, so I just practice avoidance. He is bipolar and won't use medication.
It isn't that "men don't want marriage anymore."

Most men want to get married once, to a woman who has no children and has never been married before.

They want this at age 20, age 30, age 40, age 50, etc. -- it just gets increasingly unrealistic as they get older, especially if they are on the low end of the socioeconomic scale.

Last edited by le roi; 12-14-2015 at 07:54 AM..

Old 12-14-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yep.

There's a lot of statistical analysis out there on median age of first marriages, some broken down by state, region, etc., and reading it critically, one can make a judgment call on the accuracy validity of individual studies and surveys. But looking at a wide cross-section, I've never seen anything that remotely suggests that first marriages post-35 are the average, anywhere in the U.S. They certainly do happen across all regions, but there's nowhere that they're incredibly common, at least common enough to qualify as a statistical norm. I haven't personally seen any data that puts the average age of first marriage for men anywhere above age 30. That's including East Coast cities, which skew older for first marriages more so than any other category of community. Still hover around 30, in terms of the most common age for first marriages for men. There are of course, still loads of men whose first marriages occur 35+, across regions. They just fall outside the statistical average. That doesn't make them highly scarce, however.

I can own that by my spouse and I getting married, first time for both, in our upper thirties/lower forties makes us an outlier (certainly for our region, but overall, as well). It still wasn't particularly difficult to find one another.

And, honestly, if I were a divorced person with kids, I would be realistic that I'd be more likely to attract other divorced people with kids.
Yeah I gave up looking for a man with no kids. They quickly lost interest when I informed them that I already have two kids that could use a father and I was not interested in having more children.

My current bf does get what it's like to have uninvolved coparents so at least he gets where my kids are coming from, just as I understand his kids wanting a mom.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:47 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Lowonluck: how do you feel about prenups?

Old 12-14-2015, 07:51 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
No, my ex husband is who I was referring to. My sons father I avoid like the plague. Sometimes he is ok and normal, and other times he is as crazy as they come. The problem is not knowing which it is, so I just practice avoidance. He is bipolar and won't use medication.
Sorry, it's hard to keep all the dysfunctional daddies straight.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Most men want to get married once, to a woman who has no children and has never been married before.
Well unfortunately I was married and divorced already before I was even 25. It was not even a real marriage that resulted in kids. I can't go back and make it not happen.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Sorry, it's hard to keep all the dysfunctional daddies straight.
My daughters father is dead and has been prior to her birth. My sons father is a nut. So I only have one dysfunctional dad to deal with.

My daughter does see my ex husband sometimes but nothing dysfunctional about him. He just didn't want to be a parent and didn't love me. That is just who he is. He is still not interested in being a parent or remarrying.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:59 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Well unfortunately I was married and divorced already before I was even 25. It was not even a real marriage that resulted in kids. I can't go back and make it not happen.
Yes that is unfortunate.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:00 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
It's the ones you attract.

There are plenty of 35+ men getting married. My husband was 35 and never married/no kids when we married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships