Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 12:23 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,854,763 times

Advertisements

You're her bf, not her father. If she wants a McDonalds burger, that's her business. No PMS or passive-aggression required to be annoyed at someone restricting one's food choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 12:25 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's what I thought. Why not just run through McDonald's for her and the OP pick up a salad?
I agree, but the OP apparently was grossed out by the idea of his gf eating the insides of a McD's burger without the buns in front of him, so he nixed her choice, and suffered the consequences.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:27 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,445,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
You're her bf, not her father. If she wants a McDonalds burger, that's her business. No PMS or passive-aggression required to be annoyed at someone restricting one's food choices.
I was going to post the same thing

She sounds annoyed becuase you decided to fight her on her choices initially, not "help"
....even if you see it as helping the way you chose to handle it was very confrontational in nature.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:29 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
So I'll ask the OP: Were you being passive aggressive?

You both were tired, hungry and cranky. Don't make a big deal out of it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-14-2015, 12:30 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
This weekend, was out of town with the girlfriend, we were at a "thing" till late, like 10:30. Headed back to our hotel, we are both real tired and had not eaten since lunch.

We are on a pretty restrictive diet (keto/low carb), so fast food was out of the question. And since it was late, most places were closed. There were a couple restaurants (Chillis, applebees) still open but we did not want a long sit-down meal.

So as we are driving back to the hotel, she says something like "I'd be fine with going through McDonalds drive-through and buying hamburgers and just taking them off the bun".

I say that's gross (it is) and would not be satisfying to me, and her (true).

I came up with some real alternatives, such as subway salad (she didnt want) another sub shop salad (she has some moral objection to this particular chain I just found out). I suggested KFC, who has grilled chicken, she did not like that either. Wing stop, no. So I said, how about we just stop at WalMart and we can pick up something we can cook at the hotel (efficiency with a kitchenette). She said fine. So I ask her what she's in the mood for, she wouldnt answer, she kept saying I dont know.

She was being non-commital about what she wanted, but at the same time, she was rejecting all my suggestions. I told her point blank, as I am driving, I need your help on this, I am making suggestions, you are rejecting them, and at the same time not making suggestions (except mcdonalds)

So I say let's just go back to the hotel and see if we can find something takeout close-by.

Long story short, i found a place I could get take-out fairly close to the hotel and I went out and got it. But this frustrated the **** out of me.

I know she was tired, but this was just so frustrating. She's also on her period right now, which probably does not help.
She wasn't non-committal, she wanted a McDonald's burger and told you so first thing, you dismissed what she wanted saying it was gross. Why couldn't you just have gotten a salad there?

Old 12-14-2015, 12:30 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,270,342 times
I agree with the others. Why couldn't you just let her get the hamburger from McDonald's and then go to another location to get yourself something to eat? After the first two suggestions and her inability to meet you halfway it seems like it was unnecessary to continue suggesting food places, especially when she made it clear what she wanted from the beginning. I've been in similar situations and simply went with the method of peace and compromise. That is I took them to the place they wanted, and then after we got that persons food I went elsewhere to get mine. Sometimes coming to a joint decision with food is futile because not everyone craves or wants the same things. I personally think mcDonald's is disgusting and their burger meat is vomit inducing but if that's what she wanted then why not just get that for her and get yourself a grilled chicken from kfc after?
Seems like much ado about nothing.
Oan, this is another great reason I no longer do the restrictive dieting. I've been there before and it's very difficult to find satisfying fast food items that fall in the line with your diet and actually taste good enough to feel okay with. This is not a criticism against you or those that participate in these restricted diet plans, but honestly is a smaller reason as to why I no longer found them conducive to my on the go life. These diets can be easy and satisfying on the home turf and when you've already planned out where your going to eat if you do eat out, but they can slowly become annoying as all get out when you don't have a plan in place and are trying to find decent food options with carb crazy, greasy, mostly unsatisfying fast food options. I rarely even eat fast food but I too was out of town this weekend and hungry as h**** and had to get fast food before I keeled over from being unbelievably hungry. There's no way I would have been able to find satisfaction in bunless sandwich or fast food salad. In fact this is why I tell my sister who tends to do these diets, that she needs to always have food plans set up before she leaves so they know where they are going to eat, as well as snacks in place so that she isn't so hungry that it impacts her mood and her diet.

Anyways back to the op-nah I don't think she was being uncooperative because of pms, that could be a contributor but it could just be she was hungry and was frustrated with you for making a big deal about it, and not just letting her get what she wanted.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:33 PM

769 posts, read 829,447 times
She didn't WANT a burger, she wanted some real food, but our options were very limited due to the time of day. That was her only suggestion she could give me. And it was a half-ass one at that. Doing keto it would be a burger patty with no condiments or bun, being mcdonalds they would surely mess that up.

Let me clarify this, the conversation went like this... we were driving back to the hotel.
Me: what sounds good for dinner? We don't have many options
Her: well, we could always drive though mcdonalds and get a burger without buns
Me: how about X, Y, Z
Her: no (not in so many words)
Me, how about A, B, C
Her: no
me: ...

I was also trying to not have to make 2 stops, mcdonalds salads suck, and I did not want. Again, not controlling, compromise. She made 1 suggestion, I made 4-5, none of which were good enough apparently.

I thought I had made some very valid suggestions (grilled chicken, a salad from 2 different places). I feel she was being difficult purposely for whatever reason.

As it is, we ended up with a nice dinner, but lost about an hour and a half sleep because of the indecision.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:36 PM

36,492 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:
This weekend, was out of town with the girlfriend, we were at a "thing" till late, like 10:30. Headed back to our hotel, we are both real tired and had not eaten since lunch.

We are on a pretty restrictive diet (keto/low carb), so fast food was out of the question. And since it was late, most places were closed. There were a couple restaurants (Chillis, applebees) still open but we did not want a long sit-down meal.

So as we are driving back to the hotel, she says something like "I'd be fine with going through McDonalds drive-through and buying hamburgers and just taking them off the bun".

I say that's gross (it is) and would not be satisfying to me, and her (true).

She was being non-commital about what she wanted, but at the same time, she was rejecting all my suggestions. I told her point blank, as I am driving, I need your help on this, I am making suggestions, you are rejecting them, and at the same time not making suggestions (except mcdonalds)
Except McDonalds. She said she wanted McDonalds, you shot her down. Basically treated her like a child.

You should have gone to mcdonalds and thrown away the bun.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:36 PM

769 posts, read 829,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Except McDonalds. She said she wanted McDonalds, you shot her down. Basically treated her like a child.

You should have gone to mcdonalds and thrown away the bun.
Re-read my last post, I just edited it

Old 12-14-2015, 12:40 PM

36,492 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:
Re-read my last post, I just edited it
Sorry, I didnt read thru all the posts, but still same thing.

Why do you say she didnt want a burger when she said I want a burger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships