U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:23 AM

308 posts, read 520,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post
My Husband was stationed at Alconbury when we first met but that was way back in 1984 !!!! Alconbury is closed now just base housing commissary etc it is a support for Molesworth.
Bet you had a good time there Peterborough too ?

Peterboro was OUTSTANDING!!!!!! They had a pub there.... I think it was called the ROBINHOOD..... I was there from '91-'93

I heard it was closed a few years ago and actually ran into a guy I knew from there... We we used to pull support duty at the outlying stations... Molesworth and the other one that was real close to there... it had the hospital and other base housing.... WOW!!! What a blast from the past... I hadn't thought about that place for a while now.... Used to go to Lincoln and Leeds to do some partying and pub crawls.... I remember the first time I drove by Sherwood Forest that was pretty neat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 11:29 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,126,920 times
The other base was Upwood, there were a couple of nice pubs near the base too. My Brother in law was stationed at Alconbury in the early 90's he worked in supply. We still have friends around there I lived near Ely so went home last year still nice but has changed a lot in the 5 years we have been here.
Had lovely fish and chips husband caught up on his beer !!!

Old 02-04-2008, 11:31 AM
RH1

1,161 posts, read 2,856,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firekeg View Post
Peterboro was OUTSTANDING!!!!!! They had a pub there.... I think it was called the ROBINHOOD..... I was there from '91-'93

I heard it was closed a few years ago and actually ran into a guy I knew from there... We we used to pull support duty at the outlying stations... Molesworth and the other one that was real close to there... it had the hospital and other base housing.... WOW!!! What a blast from the past... I hadn't thought about that place for a while now.... Used to go to Lincoln and Leeds to do some partying and pub crawls.... I remember the first time I drove by Sherwood Forest that was pretty neat
Partying in Lincoln?? Wow I used to run into a lot of local air base guys but I don't think I've ever come across firemen from overseas when I used to go out more! Mind you, I've only been here since about 93.

I bet you had more fun in Leeds though

Old 02-04-2008, 11:35 AM

Did you know a guy who's last name was Painter he was a Master Sgt in the fire dept ???

Old 02-04-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
The other base was Upwood, there were a couple of nice pubs near the base too. My Brother in law was stationed at Alconbury in the early 90's he worked in supply. We still have friends around there I lived near Ely so went home last year still nice but has changed a lot in the 5 years we have been here.
Had lovely fish and chips husband caught up on his beer !!!

Upwood!!! that's it... I had a few friends that lived off base there... I think I only hit the pubs there a couple of times... once I found Oxford and some of the other cities (Stratford Upon Avon)... I was hooked!! I couldn't get off base enough.

I used to "see" a girl that was in supply at Alconbury... she was more of a very good freind than anything.. but, England had to be my best assignment ever!!!

Old 02-04-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
Partying in Lincoln?? Wow I used to run into a lot of local air base guys but I don't think I've ever come across firemen from overseas when I used to go out more! Mind you, I've only been here since about 93.

I bet you had more fun in Leeds though
Leeds was awesome!!! There was a club near the Worlds Gym there...OUTSTANDING!! Very nice people went there and were always wanting to talk to my friends and I. I remember one time I met a girl there and we ended up trading... she gave me her earring and I gave her my tietac... weird but, very intersting all the same

Old 02-04-2008, 11:44 AM

Of course England IS the best assignment
The club at Alconbury back in the late 70's early 80's (so my son tells me) was rated in the top 20 by Playboy. Those were the days !!! showing my age now !!!

Old 02-04-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Did you know a guy who's last name was Painter he was a Master Sgt in the fire dept ???

Yeah... I knew Painter.. he was on the other shift so, we rarely hung out... my Assistant Chief was MSgt. Mann from Pennsylvania.... I think he was running for a political position a few years ago... I wonder if Painter lost the rest of his hair???

Old 02-04-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Of course England IS the best assignment
The club at Alconbury back in the late 70's early 80's (so my son tells me) was rated in the top 20 by Playboy. Those were the days !!! showing my age now !!!

I heard that too... the AQ Club... It was kinda small but, made the best Snake Bite Blacks I'd ever had

I used to go to Lakenheath... the Galaxy Club... I heard that gave the AQ Club a real run for its money back in the day

Old 02-04-2008, 11:48 AM

No he still has it !! lol JUST he has a son the same age as my son they went through High school together.
Saw Painter 2 years ago at his sons Basic training graduation he is now living in Colorado working on a base there doing the same job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships