Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,894 times

Advertisements

Hey, so I am the Canadian, but I was dating someone who recently started a new job with a high security clearance in the US. We've not been able to talk much since, and he definitely can't use social media. I don't know that much about this but I am super curious if we won't be able to be together simply because I am across the border. He said he wouldn't even be able to visit Canada much because of this clearance as well, so is it possible that you just can't date a foreigner at a certain level of clearance?

If anyone has any insight, it would be super appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 10:28 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Married or a liar.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:02 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,881,563 times
"Man! What is that SMELL!!!"

It's that big pile of BS he's giving you.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,894 times
Thank you both!!

Old 12-17-2015, 05:28 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Lol dude is probably married. I would drop him asap if I were you.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:09 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
It depends. I worked with people who had security clearances. None of their spouses or girlfriends had security clearances.

My son has a security clearance and no one came around to check on me, although, my clearance was higher than his and probably didn't expire. I don't think his coworkers got security clearances on wives and girlfriends. One of the wives, I know for sure, is a foreign national.

On the other hand, I married a guy with a much higher clearance than I had and the FBI gave me another, and much more intense, security screening. One of my friends works in a place where spouses and relationships must go through a security screening. That job happens to be very close to the Canadian border.

The people I know who have a higher clearance than mine all use email and belong to internet discussion groups. I don't use Facebook, so don't know if they do the facebook sort of thing. A generalization, they can use internet and social media but they can't talk about their work.

Not leave the country? Especially when it is to go to Canada? I don't know about that one. With the can't-see-you and can't-use-the-internet, I suspect you are being dumped. There really are jobs where a person can't be a relationship with a foreign national and the foreigner couldn't be told why. I'd tell you to ask him, but if it is a job requirement that he not date a foreign national, he can't tell you.

Not a very satisfactory answer. Sorry.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:28 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,288 times
It's like a unicorn! the oft mentioned, never seen girlfriend from Canada. They really do exist.
I would agree with others who are saying time to move on.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:34 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Yemeni might be a problem. Canadian? ROTFL.

There's actually no restriction on visiting Canada, but you do have to do paperwork every time you leave the country, so maybe that's the issue. Unless they've tightened this up in the *mumble* years since I had one, but I doubt it.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:17 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
You are being lied to. Why, I don't know, but he is full of crap.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:03 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Thread moved from Work & Employment to Relationships.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships