Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2015, 12:00 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,773,496 times

Advertisements

I just need to rant about some things.

I was hanging out with my date and he handed his phone over to me, and some messages from dating apps popped up. I knew he was on dating sites but I try not to think about them. I had to remind myself that we're not exclusive, but to have it pop up on our date seems like a rude interruption. I actually got really upset because it totally ruined the moment and he didn't know what to say. I don't want to know the girl's name or see the visuals of a million dating sites/apps. It makes him seem like a player or a wanna be player.

The ironic thing was a couple weeks ago, I handed my phone over to him to show him something and I was terrified a message from Tinder would pop up. Luckily it didn't. Afterward I got in there and disabled all notifications because I didn't want an awkward situation like what happened above. Except it would have been me in the awkward position but I doubt he would have been as upset. I only realized later that one should never hand their phone over to their date unless they have disabled all dating notifications via app or email. How would you react if that happened to you and you weren't exclusive?

Also, why do people talk about their exes?? Seems like that should be dating etiquette. I dated someone who was supposedly "experienced" as he claimed so he should know better but he wouldn't shut up about his exes! He was so clueless as to show me a photo of his ex-wife he took of her when she was naked in the tub! He said it was a piece of "art". It actually didn't bother me because I think I look better. But I mean, if we're together, it should be about us having fun at the moment. Having these other people interject during our date really annoys me as they are of no concern to me.

I thought these two things should be common sense...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 12:20 AM

282 posts, read 236,231 times
For the first issue, I don't get why it's a big deal. Like you said, you're not exclusive. It's still not something anyone likes on a date, but at the same time it's nothing to be upset about. Especially when for something you claim to be "common sense," you didn't cover your own bases when you handed over your phone. The better question is why are you handing off phones to each other to look over? Keep your electronics out of the date seems like a better idea!

Exes are a part of a person. I bring up that I'm divorced after I start to get to know a woman. I give her the quick facts that there are no kids and the ex isn't crazy. I might mention her here and there, but for some people that's just as much a part of their life as talking about work or school or hobbies. For me, I spent 9 years with the woman. That's going to infiltrate a significant amount of my past life and plenty of times where it's relevant to mention in a discussion. Again, no one wants to think about their date with someone else, but this is an important part of learning about someone. I find hearing about a woman's ex a little bit gives me some insight into what I should know about her. If it's a bother, speak up. "Can we please not talk about exes?" and move on. Don't leave it hanging awkwardly.
Although showing a picture of your ex isn't a smart move. Nor if she's "artistically" nude.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:39 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setchel View Post
The better question is why are you handing off phones to each other to look over? Keep your electronics out of the date seems like a better idea!
This. Not only is it rude/distracting to begin with, but considering the nature of some of the media that people keep on their phones, it's a bit too personal for (what sounds like) an early (dates 1-3 ish) date.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:09 AM

19,709 posts, read 20,240,448 times
I don't meet men online or on apps, so that would absolutely kill any interest I may've had. I'd be polite of course, but I'd shut the man down cuz we are done here... Out of sight/ out of mind is one thing, but I wouldn't choose to ignore things right in my face. + (Nude pics of the ex = hell the f NO )

Old 12-18-2015, 09:19 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,343,502 times
Common sense: If you're out on a date, TURN THE DAMN PHONE OFF! I've posted previously about being on a date and yakking on the phone, which is very disrespectful and inconsiderate.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:05 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,773,496 times
With the phone thing, he likes to show me funny videos or other things on the internet.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:43 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
With the phone thing, he likes to show me funny videos or other things on the internet.
I personally only show videos to people I know very well. I don't even share videos on facebook because I have a diverse groups of friends.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:48 AM

19,709 posts, read 20,240,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
I know everyone's different and all...but looking @ funny videos and such is something I do when I'm alone and/or really bored... I don't bring that into my social arena. So a guy acting like we're "on facebook" while in person would be juvenile and one dimensional. ( ( Just not my type of guy ) ) Add that to the dating app messages, pics of the ex, and just... Noooo.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:55 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Was it a pop up? Many websites are littered with those ads. Some are click bait that look like someone is actually trying to text you.

Regardless if it was a big deal I'd think he would have hid it.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:04 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
If you are not exclusive, you are being naive to believe he is not talking to other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships