Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 08:03 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandraa View Post
I've been with my partner for 4 years. He comes from a well off family, his father works in finance and his mother died when he was 5. His father raised him to be a money making machine...he was very strict and impossibly demanding when it came to academic achievement.

However, his good character and attitude attracted me. He's very respectful and always tries to help others. He's very good looking too.

Still, he never lets his guard down, not even with me. He never makes a nice compliment or has a gesture of affection towards me. It's unthinkable for me to kiss him in public and he won't even hold hands.

I feel like I give all of myself to him but he never really allows himself to be...himself.

Well, apart from all this, I'm 4 months pregnant. The baby was not planned but he was over the moon when I told him. I had never seen him so happy. The thing is, his behaviour is basically the same...rather distant and aloof. And I feel fragile, hormonal and emotional during this time. I would appreciate if he was more caring and tender.

We foud out last week that it's a little boy and you should have seen the broad smile on his face. I don't doubt his love for me or the baby but I don't think he realises the changes that come with pregnancy.

Am I overracting?
He never had a Mother hold him, comfort him and other nurturing things you get from the Mother.

Cut the guy some slack. Communicate your feeling too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 08:23 PM

699 posts, read 610,742 times
If there is any consolation in this - pretty soon you will be a mother, and your child will be the source of your affection and give you a lot of affection in return. You won't need him for that.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:54 PM

524 posts, read 521,585 times
Quote:
Still, he never lets his guard down, not even with me. He never makes a nice compliment or has a gesture of affection towards me. It's unthinkable for me to kiss him in public and he won't even hold hands.
His mother died when he was 5. He has abandonment issues that apparently stunted his emotional growth. He is an emotionally unavailable man. Nothing will change. He will continue to be emotionally distant and aloof even after the baby comes.

Oh, what was your question? Are you overreacting? Nah. It's probably just the pregnancy hormones.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:59 AM

5 posts, read 3,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I would look at his relationship with his father as a peek at what's in store for you three.
His relationship with his father is very distant. Not that they don't get along but they seem more like business partners than father and son.

I certainly hope he'll be different with our boy. He's very happy with the baby, texts me during the day asking how I'm feeling and don't I dare carry weights

Old 12-29-2015, 09:07 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
I certainly hope he'll be different with our boy. He's very happy with the baby, texts me during the day asking how I'm feeling and don't I dare carry weights

He very well may not be. He's been trained to be how he is. He very well may believe how his father is to him is proper modeling.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:11 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
If there is any consolation in this - pretty soon you will be a mother, and your child will be the source of your affection and give you a lot of affection in return. You won't need him for that.
That is not true at all.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
He never had a Mother hold him, comfort him and other nurturing things you get from the Mother.

Cut the guy some slack. Communicate your feeling too.
Yes, I know that not having his mother around must have left a hole in him. I'm not judging him, it must have been terrible to lose your major source of love and comfort when you're 5.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:25 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,482,986 times
Tell him how you feel. Just don't be surprised if nothing changes. Even if he does comply with your request and touch your belly, it may very well feel "off" to you because he's doing it just because you asked him to. Affection comes from empathy and empathy really can't be faked. Probably not what you want to hear, but kids learn empathy right around the time his mother died, and it sounds like his father may have been a bit of a narcissist if he really pressured your SO to be what he, himself, is. There's really not much that can be done about that. If someone doesn't learn empathy by about age 6, they can't be taught to feel it. They can go through the motions, but it's going to be very hollow.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
I'm sure there's no words for the affection you get from your child...still, it's a completely different thing.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:06 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
I'm sure there's no words for the affection you get from your child...still, it's a completely different thing.
Correct, it is very different from the affection you are to get from a partner. Not a substitute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships