Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 01:43 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,792,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
I went on a date where I didn't go bc I liked him I just went bc I knew he would buy me food and drive me somewhere.
For being one sentence, this was super hard to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 01:48 PM

2,322 posts, read 922,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I must have done SOMETHING someone considered outrageous, but off the top of my head I can't think of what.

But...nobody's perfect and I'm sure I pizzed someone off randomly somewhere along the line.
I'm thinking the same thing. The only thing I can think of was taking a girl I had known for over a year on a date to a restaurant that served spicy food. She wasn't into really spicy food but she wanted to try this particular restaurant and we found something on the menu that she could eat. I went for a really spicy dish that turned out not to be spicy at all.

I thought the dinner went well until she mentioned a few months into our relationship that my faux pas on our first date was not offering food from my plate. Honestly I couldn't remember if I did or didn't, but I usually offer, even on a first date. The only thing I could think of if I didn't offer was because it was spicy and she stated she couldn't have a lot of spices.

The date couldn't have been too bad 'cause we dated for two years

What I did learn from this is I need to get out more. Between magpie flossing at the table and Hivemind having to borrow money, I am leading a very boring life

Old 12-29-2015, 01:59 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,921 times
Sat down for a hot chocolate. Gave it a gulp and didn't expected it to be that hot. Burned my throat and mouth I immediately spat out the drink on her who was sitting in front of me. I wanted to disappear.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:03 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,185,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
I went on a date where I didn't go bc I liked him I just went bc I knew he would buy me food and drive me somewhere.

That is pretty bad. Are you from the 1950s?

Old 12-29-2015, 02:05 PM

Here's a quick verbal faux pas that got the sex door slammed shut on me - a solid example of how quickly words can kill things for you as a guy:

First meeting was VERY flirty...not having sex then and there was basically a formality on both our parts in an attempt to show SOME kind of restraint. On the second meeting (and first actual "date"), we met for drinks.

She shows up in a red dress that's basically painted on, something most women would consider too "forward" to wear on any other date. Does the flirty 360 twirl and asks, "so, what do you think?"

"I never really cared for red that much"

"Oh."

I have no idea what compelled me to speak the truth over, well, basically anything else I could have said there. And the dress FIT was actually amazing, she looked great in it....my mouth just opened and I said the first thing that came to mind, which was commentary on the color. I knew the result before the sentence was finished...but it was too late. There was no sex had that evening. Or ever with that particular woman.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post
That is pretty bad. Are you from the 1950s?
Most women I know have done this at least once. They don't make a thing of it, but it's happened.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:09 PM

186 posts, read 157,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Ooh, I've got a bunch. But here's the one I share the most.

In a former life, I played poker for a living, which generally kept me pretty liquid, financially...so I didn't carry a credit card at the time.

I had a particularly good session one evening, and deposited all but $500 of it in the bank. I wanted to go have a fancy dinner to celebrate, and I had just started seeing this girl (this would be our 3rd date), so I made kind of a big deal about it. "We're going someplace fancy tonight, dress appropriately", etc. I have a little bit of a douchey/pretentious streak already and it was only magnified by my lifestyle at the time.

So we meet at the restaurant; a place I've eaten at before. While dinner there isn't cheap, it's not OUTRAGEOUS either (or at least hadn't been in the past). They ask if we'd like the special - a whole lobster and filet mignon. Yes, yes we would. My date was a wine aficionado, so sure, let's have a bottle of that really nice one. And so on.

After a wonderful date...the check arrives. Once I factor in the tip.....$850. Whoops. Apparently by "special", they meant "house special", not special as in "discounted". I didn't think to ask because a) it would conflict with the baller persona that I was trying to convey and b) I had $500, it couldn't cost more than that, right?

So here I am, on a THIRD date with a woman, having spent the earlier part of the evening playing the role of the "big-shot", HAVING TO ASK TO BORROW $350. I assured her that I had the money (and I really did, just not on me), but imagine how this sounds from her point of view:

A guy takes you out, makes something of a flashy display about it, and then asks to borrow $350 dollars from you. And not a husband or long term boyfriend, but a THIRD DATE. Thankfully, she was very accommodating about the whole thing and I paid her back once we left....but, yikes.
Pretty amazing she even had that kind of cash on her!
(did she?)

Not the amount people would carry I assume?

Old 12-29-2015, 02:09 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,224,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Here's a quick verbal faux pas that got the sex door slammed shut on me - a solid example of how quickly words can kill things for you as a guy:

First meeting was VERY flirty...not having sex then and there was basically a formality on both our parts in an attempt to show SOME kind of restraint. On the second meeting (and first actual "date"), we met for drinks.

She shows up in a red dress that's basically painted on, something most women would consider too "forward" to wear on any other date. Does the flirty 360 twirl and asks, "so, what do you think?"

"I never really cared for red that much"

"Oh."

I have no idea what compelled me to speak the truth over, well, basically anything else I could have said there. And the dress FIT was actually amazing, she looked great in it....my mouth just opened and I said the first thing that came to mind, which was commentary on the color. I knew the result before the sentence was finished...but it was too late. There was no sex had that evening. Or ever with that particular woman.
OMG! That's a car crash right there! If it's any consolation, lots of guys unwittingly talk themselves out of sex!

Old 12-29-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koeken View Post
Pretty amazing she even had that kind of cash on her!
(did she?)

Not the amount people would carry I assume?
No, being the responsible adult...she had a credit card. To her credit, she took it VERY well. We ended up dating for 3 years and she would bust it out on later dates:

"ooh, fancy dinner...guess that means I'M paying?"

Old 12-29-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1xolisiwe View Post
OMG! That's a car crash right there! If it's any consolation, lots of guys unwittingly talk themselves out of sex!
I guess what made it sting (other than how it so very obviously and immediately killed my chances) is that I'm normally pretty good/quick with banter. She lobbed a grapefruit at me and I swung and missed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships