Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 05:12 PM

282 posts, read 236,165 times

Advertisements

The dog is vicious. It likely won't be exactly much of a threat taken seriously, but were I in your shoes, I'd leave her. her nature is purposely disrespectful and seeks harm of you. She also is purposefully abusing the dog with negligent behavior. It's a seriously dangerous dog and it will come back to get her when it attacks another dog or a child. Most adults will write off being bit by a dog like that as cute when they really shouldn't.

Seriously, get away from her. Mod cut: Off-topic. And this will also escalate into an abusive relationship.

Another thing, every dog that isn't purposefully bred is a "rescue dog." Don't feed her circle jerk by acting like she was some hero.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-02-2016 at 01:24 PM..

Old 01-01-2016, 05:15 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
My girlfriend has this little yip yip dog that sits in her lap and it growls at me every time I try and get close. She eggs it on. She talks to the dog in a baby voice and it really has become a problem when I visit her house. We've been dating for several years and I feel like moving in is the next logical step, but I'm not interested in keeping the dog.

It's her first pet and she's a rescue dog with a lot of problems. How do I handle this?
First thing's first.

Dogs are cool. I like dogs. But a dog is not a surrogate child. In that sense, a woman who speaks to her dog as if it were a toddler is kind of a nitwit. Do you really want to devote much more time to this woman?

Old 01-01-2016, 05:16 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,362 times
So sorry that a fur-buddy has come between Op and GF..But..as a fairly knowledgeable animal owner..it's th owner's responsibility to train/admonish/ redirect/correct etc...So since this Fur lap pup, who was there before YOU, has never been given boundaries..is a huge problem...IF she can't hand a lap dog..how the hell can she handle "Life Problems"...

First..GF sounds rather Ditzy ...beyond that...IF OP truly wants to pursue..maybe learn some tips on how to gain respect and authority of this dog ..(who requires proper training)!! Believe me..It's yelling nor angry authoritarian aggressive control measure that work..It's always the Calm..corrective direction..that creates respect...

OP..Please, if you are truly interest in this gal..Learn about dogs..because obviously this pint sized dog senses you are fearful/dislike/against..LOL

It's called trying to create the energy of positive control ( not negative)..Initially..start by,NO Eye contact, always show your back before sitting down on same couch)..never reach out to pup..let pup come to you and let them sniff you.. But my bolded is so so IMPORTANT!!!

Good luck..and by your post I sense You likely haven't ever had to deal with this duo issue..GF and pet..trying to win over BOTH

Old 01-01-2016, 06:09 PM

69 posts, read 51,359 times
I see the problem here not with the dog but with the gf. A dog is going to be and act like a dog. Sure, you can train it and learn how to become the alpha but at the end of the day you still have a girlfriend who disrespects you. You need to train the girlfriend.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:30 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,992,865 times
Did you just flat-out ask her not to encourage the dog to do that any more?

If you did and she refused, if it were me, I'd inform her we could no longer meet at her place as I wasn't up for being growled at by her dog over and over again. As for moving in together? Out of the question for now. I mean that is such juvenile behavior (on the girlfriend's part)...it is just weird. Even my 9-year-old knows better than to tease his brother or anyone else by getting the cats riled up against the person and possibly bite or scratch them. What if this thing bites you? Even a small dog can do some serious damage with its teeth. Little dogs are quick, their teeth are SHARP, they are meant to be tearing through flesh for a living (biologically) and if riled up/hysterical, AND ESPECIALLY if encouraged (yikes!), it may not bite only once. Think of how much damage a rat could do to your hand/finger or whatever and how much smaller a rat is than even a fairly small dog.

Is this really the girlfriend's only weird behavior? If not...have you really thought about this relationship? I would find a boyfriend "jokingly" encouraging his animal to snap at and possibly bite me to be a huge red flag. That's not normal.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:37 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,368,101 times
Well, let's see, what have we got here...

We've got a woman who encourages bad behavior in her already troubled rescue dog and encourages the dog to direct that behavior at her boyfriend.

We've got a guy who wants to move in with his girlfriend but doesn't want her dog as part of the package and apparently hasn't made any effort to interact with the dog in a meaningful way or address the problem of its hostility.

And we've got a rescue dog with behavioral issues who isn't being trained or socialized properly.

Frankly, the two humans sound like self-absorbed, immature people who shouldn't be with anyone until they learn to be adults, and the only one I feel sorry for is the dog.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:31 AM

39 posts, read 40,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Well, let's see, what have we got here...

We've got a woman who encourages bad behavior in her already troubled rescue dog and encourages the dog to direct that behavior at her boyfriend.

We've got a guy who wants to move in with his girlfriend but doesn't want her dog as part of the package and apparently hasn't made any effort to interact with the dog in a meaningful way or address the problem of its hostility.

And we've got a rescue dog with behavioral issues who isn't being trained or socialized properly.

Frankly, the two humans sound like self-absorbed, immature people who shouldn't be with anyone until they learn to be adults, and the only one I feel sorry for is the dog.
My girlfriend is never going to be able to have a baby. She's has the dog for about six months and it is something of a surrogate child for her, unfortunately.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:22 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,578,127 times
Quote:
My girlfriend has this little yip yip dog that sits in her lap and it growls at me every time I try and get close. She eggs it on. She talks to the dog in a baby voice and it really has become a problem when I visit her house. We've been cdating for several years and I feel like moving in is the next logical step, but I'm not interested in keeping the dog.

It's her first pet and she's a rescue dog with a lot of problems. How do I handle this?
EASY. when you bring your Girl FIEND candy bring the dog some doggie treats and become the leader of the pack...

Old 01-02-2016, 12:27 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,992,865 times
Quote:
My girlfriend is never going to be able to have a baby. She's has the dog for about six months and it is something of a surrogate child for her, unfortunately.
Okay, fine, but what does the dog being her "baby" have to do with her teaching it to hate, fear and distrust you? If she could have a child, a human child, would she be teaching the child to be disrespectful to you and snap angrily at you every time you came into the room? Would she be holding up the baby, "Ooooooo, uh-oh, look who's coming!" and then burst out laughing and give Baby a "you did good, sweetheart" cuddle when he screamed and kicked in your direction?

I know LOTS of people who think of their pets literally as babies, NONE of them actively encourage the pet to snap, growl, etc. At anybody. Her not being able to have a child and treating the dog as if it is a child is not an excuse for why she is using the dog to make you uncomfortable and wary. Her wanting to make you uncomfortable and wary is a whole issue by itself and is, IMO, the issue here. Dog or no dog.

And no, I would not confuse this animal and force it to "pick sides" by secretly feeding it peanut butter. Someone above said s/he feels sorry for this poor animal. So do I.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:28 PM

39 posts, read 40,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
EASY. when you bring your Girl FIEND candy bring the dog some doggie treats and become the leader of the pack...
Cute.

She's not a Feind, but it seems the posters here need their own training in passive aggressive behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships