Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 08:49 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,185 times

Advertisements

The following is completely hypothetical and fictional: Let's say throughout the 1990s, you seriously dated somebody for several years. The person lived in New York. Then it went really sour, you broke up, the person doesn't want to talk to you and stopped responding to your correspondence (which would have been phone calls and possibly e-mails "back then"). That person is out of your life and doesn't want you back in theirs, so you ceased all contact for the past few years.

But, you see on the news that 9/11 happened in New York. Do you try to contact that person, just to make sure that they're okay? Even though you aren't on speaking terms, you still care that they're doing well, and you don't want anything bad to happen to them.

Again, nothing happened between me and anyone else during that timeframe. It's a totally fictional scenario. I'm just using a major catastrophe from history as an example, since a minor event isn't a good reason to reach out to someone who isn't talking to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 08:53 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
No. It is obvious they want no contact which is generally best for some couples especially if their break up was less than friendly.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:59 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
No. It is obvious they want no contact which is generally best for some couples especially if their break up was less than friendly.
But in a major catastrophe, would you reach out to a relative who cut you off?

I guess I'm confused about how you're supposed to shut down caring about somebody else. Even if you already moved on romantically, you don't spend a chunk of your life in a serious relationship with someone, then act like you never did.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:04 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
No.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:07 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,358,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post

I guess I'm confused about how you're supposed to shut down caring about somebody else. Even if you already moved on romantically, you don't spend a chunk of your life in a serious relationship with someone, then act like you never did.
You do make a great point. It really depends.....If the relationship ended on really bad terms then no.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:18 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
I would and I have. No biggie.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:26 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,633,481 times
I would. Couldn't just coldly look the other direction and pretend like it doesn't matter.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:28 PM

912 posts, read 915,007 times
Quote:
The following is completely hypothetical and fictional: Let's say throughout the 1990s, you seriously dated somebody for several years. The person lived in New York. Then it went really sour, you broke up, the person doesn't want to talk to you and stopped responding to your correspondence (which would have been phone calls and possibly e-mails "back then"). That person is out of your life and doesn't want you back in theirs, so you ceased all contact for the past few years.

But, you see on the news that 9/11 happened in New York. Do you try to contact that person, just to make sure that they're okay? Even though you aren't on speaking terms, you still care that they're doing well, and you don't want anything bad to happen to them.

Again, nothing happened between me and anyone else during that timeframe. It's a totally fictional scenario. I'm just using a major catastrophe from history as an example, since a minor event isn't a good reason to reach out to someone who isn't talking to you.
No.

I have contacted exs to ensure they were okay, but those parted on speaking terms, albeit infrequently.

If it was made clear that they wanted no contact, why would something serious like a terrorist attack or a natural disaster mean they now want to be contacted by you?

Old 01-05-2016, 09:31 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:

No and I have no problem not becoming emotionally attached, it is a learned self preservation response as the result of a less than stellar childhood.
There is no acting like there was no relationship so I am not sure where you got that. It is merely a continued respect of their wishes for no contact.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:07 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships