Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2016, 11:11 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
If I email 30 men on OLD, maybe two of them will respond but conversation dies out quickly. The guy I met in December, I went out with largely because he's the only one in 6 months who sent me a message that was grammatically correct and indicated he'd actually read my profile.

I get maybe 5 messages a month OL. The last exchange I had went like this, which is typical of how my interactions OL go:

Him: "hi how are you?"
Me: "I'm fine thank you. How are you?"
Him: "doing good sun feels good"
I do notice that some women expect men to be entertainers. To carry all the conversations. Not that you are that type of woman. But I do wonder what factors create that expectation. If we don't keep them entertained every moment, it grinds to a halt.

On the other hand, this has worked out well when it's not working. Rather than having to break up or cut ties formally, you can just stop being the entertainer or conversation carrier and it'll die on its own easy enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 11:15 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
I do notice that some women expect men to be entertainers. To carry all the conversations. Not that you are that type of woman. But I do wonder what factors create that expectation. If we don't keep them entertained every moment, it grinds to a halt.

On the other hand, this has worked out well when it's not working. Rather than having to break up or cut ties formally, you can just stop being the entertainer or conversation carrier and it'll die on its own easy enough.

You know, I haven't thought much about it, but I think you're right on that, unfortunately. It's often the case I find that I have to carry the conversation, plan many of the activities, make the decisions, etc. If I don't, it rarely gets done and things just die.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:18 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha music favfan View Post
Sometimes I wonder why didn't good things happen for me and happy things go for others? I turned 40 years old this past September and it seems like nothing is going good. A lot of my peers that go to my church have got married over the past 5 and 6 years and already have small kids that will be entering pre school or kindergarten. I can't hang out with them because they are busy with family stuff or they hang out with other people with kids. To make matters worse I got an email from my exfiance the day before Christmas telling me that she just got engaged. She even sent a photo of her and her fiancé. Mind you , I had no communication with her after she and I broke up 4 years ago. I dated on and off after the break up but I needed a break from the break up. I do t know why she would send me a email like that .

The only thing going good for me is that I have a good career. I am going to be buying a new house after this winter. The projects I plan to do with the new place and things that I want to buy to make my house look. Awesome are making me happy. I like coming up with new ideas as to what I will do with the new place. Plus I am going on vacation to Cozunel in the first week of February. So as relationship and to have a family, is my life over for that since I see younger people and people my age already settling down? Is it too late? How about all the plans I am planning to do? Should I just forget about it?
Her last ditch effort to get your attention and possibly have you beg her to marry YOU. Trust me on that one.

Too late?! Heck, no! You have an advantage in almost every way! Even at forty, you can easily produce offspring, etc. I could go on and on with all that you've got going for you. Time to look at the full glass you do have: good health, fertility, options, job, etc., etc.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:28 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,358 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You know, I haven't thought much about it, but I think you're right on that, unfortunately. It's often the case I find that I have to carry the conversation, plan many of the activities, make the decisions, etc. If I don't, it rarely gets done and things just die.
I do agree that in the early stages of dating, it is (stereo)typically up to the guy to get the ball rolling, so to speak. I organize events for a couple of Meetup groups and am always organizing get togethers among friends so I do tend to take charge in that respect in terms of suggesting when and where to meet as it's just ingrained in me.

My (male) best friend loves it! He relies on me to be our event planner as he recognizes that is my strength. But I think I may have offended a couple of dates that way. I had one I was talking to on OKC. Great conversation, said he'd love to meet. So I suggested a date and time. He responded by disappearing. Came back, started conversation again, again suggested we meet. This time I let him know when I had some free time but didn't push. He responded by disabling his profile.

When it comes to conversation online, I respond to what I'm given. So if all I'm given is "hi how are you" all I give back is "I'm fine, thank you. How are you." If all I get from that is "fine" I'm not going to search out a conversation topic with someone who is indicating they really are not that interested.

It's funny to me to see all the comments on here of "ask her/him out in the first few emails." 99% of my exchanges have either died out by the 3rd email or haven't gotten past the point of exchanging pleasantries!

And I do have to say a man who can't make a simple decision drives me nuts - and not in the good way!

Old 01-08-2016, 01:03 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
Him: "hi how are you?"
Me: "I'm fine thank you. How are you?"
Him: "doing good sun feels good"
I read that in John Travolta's voice. "Yeah but bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste good."

(NSFW: Language)

Hey, personality goes a long way!

Old 01-08-2016, 01:07 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,603 times
Quote:
Just popping in to second/third this sentiment. Makes it surprisingly easy to end things, though!

Old 01-08-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Just popping in to second/third this sentiment. Makes it surprisingly easy to end things, though!
The PUA culture has really been a blessing in disguise. Them constantly telling women what they want to hear and entertaining them does make it easier to end things. We just stop trying and let some other guy step in and take them off our hands.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:13 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,143 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Quote:
The PUA culture has really been a blessing in disguise. Them constantly telling women what they want to hear and entertaining them does make it easier to end things. We just stop trying and let some other guy step in and take them off our hands.
So basically you guys are drawn to passive women and then later hold their passivity against them?

Old 01-08-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
So basically you guys are drawn to passive women and then later hold their passivity against them?
I don't know about held against them. I'd call it more a benefit of the position.

If she was okay with me putting in all the effort while being courted, she should be okay with me taking away all the effort (if the time comes). Her benefit is that she can sit back and enjoy the guy's hard work. Each position has it's benefits.

If she's putting work into the relationship or dating period, then it's different altogether.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:28 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post

I'm not drawn to passive women and I never said nor implied I held anything against any of them.

But thanks for specious speculation.

It's just part of being a guy. I need to make things happen if I want them to happen. If I don't make them happen, they don't happen. That isn't something I hold against anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships