Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 12:07 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,300,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Looking back, I've missed so many I've lost count. And those are only the ones where I came to my senses later.

I've discussed a few recently. Here's some of the more egregious ones:

(in a rural town where college kids are known to escape into soybean patches to have sex)

Her: So...I'd really like to learn about soybeans...
Me: (launches into scientific definition of, and practical uses for, soybeans)
Her: ......

To my credit, I wasn't aware of the reputation of our local soybean patches, but I should have put things into context.

-------------------------------------
A neighbor below me knocks on my door unprovoked...

Her: I wanted to go see a movie tonight, but I don't want to go alone.
Me: There's nothing wrong with going to the movies alone!

Ouch.
---------------------------------------------------
(again, in college)

A girl from a dorm 1/4 of a mile away knocked on my door...

Her: I ran out of beer and I'm REALLY looking to get drunk, do you have any?
Me: (doesn't invite her in, grabs a beer and hands it to her) Here you go!

That one made me hate myself for a while.
I would hate myself if that happened to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 12:09 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,300,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
If I recall, it was less, "I'm old enough to be your mother" and more, "I'd eat you for breakfast". The first one could go either way. The second is a pretty likely a green light.
Yup. That one as well. Both opportunities blown because I can't read a woman's signals.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:14 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,340,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
I observed a woman talking to a store manager today.

Here is what I noticed...

She came in the store with her hair up in a bun.
She had on a long coat to her knees.
After the manage greets her she tells him a story on this project she is building. She hint it's hard for her to cut the wood and 1) doesn't want to ask her EX husband for help.
When the two of them come back up to the counter 2) her hair is now down and she's running her fingers through her hair with her head back.
Then when the manager asks if she needs anything else she says: 3) I have a bottle of wine. 4) My kids are at my Mom's and 5) I have this on... (She steps back and shows a red night gown under her coat.

"Good for you." "Those look comfy." The manager says. Lol!!

Ladies: What are some hints you sent or threw?

Guys: What hints have to missed?
Either of the following:

A) He's just not attracted to her (not his type)

B) He noticed but (he) is married or in a relationship

C) He's gay

D) He's just plain dumb and naive!

Old 01-06-2016, 12:19 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Either of the following:

A) He's just not attracted to her (not his type)

B) He noticed but (he) is married or in a relationship

C) He's gay

D) He's just plain dumb and naive!
You would think even a dumb guy would ask a woman out if he had an interest in her. It blows my mind how dumb my ex is yet he somehow asked me out. Granted he was always desperate but still... Maybe the dumb guy in this case would be the quiet type.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:27 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,792,246 times
Ack, thought of another one....this one involves multiple guys not getting the hint:

Revisited a town I hadn't been to in a long time to meet up with 3 friends, one of whom I had a lot of sexual tension with, but the timing was never right...one of us was always dating someone. The four of us met at her house before we were to go out for the evening:

Male friend: "I have to go home and change before we head out"
Her: "Why don't you take (male friend #2) with you? His car is bigger and we can meet up with you in like an hour and head out then?"
Me: "That's stupid, if we're all going to take (male friend #2's) car, we should all just leave together and head out from there."
Her: "Well, I really need some help with...(looks around)...my computer. It's acting funny"
Friend 1: "Look, it really won't take that long, I can be out and back in like 15 minutes"
Me: "Sounds good"
Her: "I don't know, I think it'll take a while to fix. How about an hour?
Friend 2: "He's right, 15 minutes, no problem"
Her: sigh

Ugh. Bless her for trying. That situation actually still turned out well. But I'm sure it looked as if I was fighting it as hard as I could.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:02 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
I observed a woman talking to a store manager today.

Here is what I noticed...

She came in the store with her hair up in a bun.
She had on a long coat to her knees.
After the manage greets her she tells him a story on this project she is building. She hint it's hard for her to cut the wood and 1) doesn't want to ask her EX husband for help.
When the two of them come back up to the counter 2) her hair is now down and she's running her fingers through her hair with her head back.
Then when the manager asks if she needs anything else she says: 3) I have a bottle of wine. 4) My kids are at my Mom's and 5) I have this on... (She steps back and shows a red night gown under her coat.

"Good for you." "Those look comfy." The manager says. Lol!!

Ladies: What are some hints you sent or threw?

Guys: What hints have to missed?
Seriously, you think he missed the hint? What would you expect him to do, go AWOL from his job, take her to the nearest hotel, and have a go at her? He was being professional, as his job requires. And he probably had a good time with his buddies at the pub after work, telling them "You wouldn't BELIEVE what happened today at work! We get all kinds in the retail biz!" And why would you assume he's not married? Or were you thinking that any red-blooded guy even if married, would have grabbed (so to speak) the opportunity?

Old 01-06-2016, 01:08 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Seriously, you think he missed the hint? What would you expect him to do, go AWOL from his job, take her to the nearest hotel, and have a go at her? He was being professional, as his job requires. And he probably had a good time with his buddies at the pub after work, telling them "You wouldn't BELIEVE what happened today at work! We get all kinds in the retail biz!" And why would you assume he's not married? Or were you thinking that any red-blooded guy even if married, would have grabbed (so to speak) the opportunity?
I don't think she wanted him to clear the counter and lay the lumber right there.

Maybe her intentions were for him to come over to help her AFTER work. I don't know. This was just an example.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:11 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
I don't think she wanted him to clear the counter and lay the lumber right there.

Maybe her intentions were for him to come over to help her AFTER work. I don't know. This was just an example.
It's a good example of how, contrary to popular belief, men don't all go for women who throw themselves at them.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:31 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,792,246 times
Quote:
It's a good example of how, contrary to popular belief, men don't all go for women who throw themselves at them.
No, it's not. As you mentioned, he's an employee, at work. Or possibly married.

And even if you assume he'd turn her down later, there are a LOT of guys who probably wouldn't.

The popular belief isn't that men, "all go for women who throw themselves at them". The catch, as always, is "many" (or some other equally operative word) vs "all".

Old 01-06-2016, 01:35 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
Like the lady that took full advantage of the topless beach I was at walking close to me batting her eyes?

Yeah, I think I did a Jim Carrey throw up in my mouth impersonation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships