Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 07:22 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
What? You never heard of someone being on their best behavior in order to woo a mate, then their behavior changes once the deal is sealed? Seriously?

That can happen for a lot of reasons, but it most certainly can be related to love languages.

My husband appeared adept at all 5 languages until we got married. ( I didn't know that at the time, I just thought he was a good guy who loved me). I was probably not so well rounded. Then he suddenly wanted us to speak to each other using the languages that worked for his parents. Caught me off guard, to say the least! He said to me, on many occasions, that he had been expecting me to CHANGE when we were married.

I'm not saying that if I'd had that book at the time, it would have saved my marriage. Quite the contrary. If I'd had the book I would have held it up as PROOF that if we could just learn these languages, we'd be okay. I was very naive about the limits of his stubborn narcissism.

But reading that book did change my life. It shed light on the nature of all my relationships, and has helped me become more self-aware about how I treat others, and about what I expect of others.

Don't take my word for it, just visit the website to get an idea. Of course, it is not going to resonate for everyone, and that's okay.

Language Profile | The 5 Love Languages®
Thanks for posting that link now I've got a better understanding of it

This is my score , words of affirmation is my strongest point, with physical touch and quality time a close second. I do love a compliment or 6 ( ) , and certainly enjoy touching/hugging etc plus spending quality time together is spot on for me.

I know I'm not the best at receiving gifts or don't really like her to run errands for me with the acts of service.

I'm quite surprised it's not far short from being spot on Infact
Attached Thumbnails
My wife has become an insufferable nag-image.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 07:33 PM

19,423 posts, read 15,236,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks "the love languages" is completely and utterly stupid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Wh do you think it's stupid? It's a pretty common sense idea that people show love in different ways and that doesn't always jive with how someone prefers to receive love. A lot of basic human interactions can go awry if you're only considering things from your perspective and not another's.
I believe people do show love in different ways, but the phrase itself makes me cringe. lol

Old 01-23-2016, 07:49 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Thanks for posting that link now I've got a better understanding of it

This is my score , words of affirmation is my strongest point, with physical touch and quality time a close second. I do love a compliment or 6 ( ) , and certainly enjoy touching/hugging etc plus spending quality time together is spot on for me.

I know I'm not the best at receiving gifts or don't really like her to run errands for me with the acts of service.

I'm quite surprised it's not far short from being spot on Infact
That was fun. Words of Affirmation was my highest too.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
That was fun. Words of Affirmation was my highest too.

I'm actually still quite surprised it is quite true to life for me

Old 01-23-2016, 09:29 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
Someone gave me that book quite a few years ago, and as much as my rational side wants to dismiss it as touchy-feely or hokey... I think there's something to it. If no other reason than it explains why two people as different as the Mr. and I can get on so well: sharing the same love languages (which in our case would be Physical Touch and Words of Affirmation). We've both got similar baggage with not having a foundation of healthy loving parental relationships, and there's a great deal of insecurity and low self-worth that comes along with that. Be able to instinctively know what the other needs, without having to spell it out, helps to kind of fill in those gaps.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:40 PM

39,223 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
She became unpleasant as soon as the marriage certificate was signed. It's not a matter of different love languages.
Oh really? you know this for sure huh? amazing.

someone mentioned that amazing book 5 love languages, I think op should read it.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:30 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Never read the book, but took the test before. I don't think I need the whole book as the premise made sense to me, though I hadn't thought about it before.

I'm horrible at words of affirmation, and much more comfortable with acts of service.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-23-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Never read the book, but took the test before. I don't think I need the whole book as the premise made sense to me, though I hadn't thought about it before.

I'm horrible at words of affirmation, and much more comfortable with acts of service.
Yeah I just jumped into the quiz and thought it would give a percentage of some sort like I keep reading on here with dating sites for example 93%-95%.

Basically telling you if your any good or not LOL.

To be fair my test was quite accurate of myself in reality ( for better or worse )

Old 01-23-2016, 10:43 PM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Every time I see this thread I picture some old broken down horse..........10 minutes late for the glue factory.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:10 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Every time I see this thread I picture some old broken down horse..........10 minutes late for the glue factory.
Elmers is calling this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships