Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The expectation that you'll be required to cover the costs of both instead of your own order
Made you less prone to casually approach (some?) women 15 20.00%
Made you more prone to casually approach women 1 1.33%
Never made any difference when it comes to incentive/desire of approaching any woman 35 46.67%
I am a woman (or a gay man) and just want to see the results 24 32.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 06:41 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Women are smart to know what the social convention is and how it works? Because 9 out of 10 times a woman asks a guy out he says no! Yes, despite us hearing that they would just LOVE to be asked out!

But why does this happen? Because guys hate something not being THEIR idea - if THEY didn't pick the woman or notice she was attractive, whatever in the first place she CAN'T be worth going out with. And geez, how desperate must she be for a date if SHE has to ask....so, now - see how it works in the REAL world? Like it or not, that's how it goes down.
You sound no better then the guy you are quoting stereotyping all men like this.

Yeah not all of us are that egotistical and anal about a woman asking us out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 11:16 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by te3t View Post
I paid for dinner tonight on a first date and she took care of the tip
I see that what happened there, you sly devil you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nZ_EZTmFxM

Old 01-31-2016, 11:06 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,393,517 times
I had a friend that says that when you ask a woman on a date unless he said "I invite you", you are suppossed to "split" everything. Because he is only "asking" not "inviting".

He had to change the M.O because he was getting a lot of complaints. And he's a very succesful lawyer. Now he is the one getting like 3 women on a bar and taking 2 friends to split the bill with women you don't know.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:07 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,055,249 times
This is one of those perennial topics, and even I dont have time to go thru all 300 previous replies.

I'll just say what works for me, lately, based on the practice of *many* dates in the past couple of years.

Asker pays. Asker determines where we going. Its your FAULT if you bring her to a spendy restaruant on a first date (and yes I've done it).

The more pretty/desirable the girl, the more leeway she gets. The more traditional/conservative/materialistic she is, the more the man is paying for most. The more hangout/fwb/slippery-slope-friendzone/liberal the situation is, the more the woman insists on paying half. The more the woman does NOT want to sleep with you, the more she insists on paying her own way.

In all practically, the woman offers to pay, the man refuses, she playfully insists again, he says you can pay tax or tip or drinks / next time. I get the best RESULT OVERALL when the woman kicks in from 33% to 50% or we take turns paying. When the cashflow is 0%/100% in either direction, usually sometime else is going on, and the odds of subsequent dates, sexytimes and exclusivity go way down.

my 2 cents.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:57 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I don't see relationships as being splitsville. I see good relationships as both people giving 100% - not both giving 50%.

Then they're always overpaying by 100%

Old 01-31-2016, 03:00 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,154,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Then they're always overpaying by 100%
Then they are great tippers!

But I wasn't talking about money...

Old 01-31-2016, 05:27 PM

477 posts, read 276,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
Asker pays. Asker determines where we going. Its your FAULT if you bring her to a spendy restaruant on a first date (and yes I've done it).
I agree that if the asker, mostly the man, picks something they can't afford then it's on them.
The issue I have with the platitude "whomever asks, pays," is that it's like saying a wolf and a sheep can have an equal decision on what's for dinner. The reality is so lopsided it's more honest to just say "we" expect the man to pay.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:39 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,146,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
I agree that if the asker, mostly the man, picks something they can't afford then it's on them.
The issue I have with the platitude "whomever asks, pays," is that it's like saying a wolf and a sheep can have an equal decision on what's for dinner. The reality is so lopsided it's more honest to just say "we" expect the man to pay.
I agree. I would expect the man to pay. I would never ask a man out, but I would be looking for certain qualities that others may not be looking for, or even think they deserve.

I'm not gold digging, and would settle for a hotdog and fries, as long as he's not stupid enough to think he's going to get laid on this first date. Being a self respecting female, I wouldn't ask him to buy me something expensive for dinner, and if he insisted, I would need an explanation of his motive for wanting to do that for someone he doesn't really know yet. It could be something simple like, "because that's what I want to have." In which case, I would accept.

If you are good company, most normal women are going to enjoy the date regardless of the price.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:07 PM

3 posts, read 2,760 times
In opinion, the idea that a man should pay for the date has nothing to do with whether or not he should approach a woman. You approach a woman to ask her out based on attraction, be it physical or otherwise. And any woman who would insist on going dutch isn't a woman I'd be interested in in the first place.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:11 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
But "we" don't all expect the man to pay. Some women do ask and pay. Please stop lumping women together like we're a single entity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships