Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 02:38 AM

2 posts, read 1,651 times

Advertisements

I had an unbelievable day today. For the past several months I've been tinkering with an idea and a machine that would provide a service most people use but normally have to go to a store for. Today I pitched the idea and the business development team for nearby development. They loved it. They not only wanted it for there, but they want to deploy it around the world.

I raced to the phones to get my team together. It's go time and if I can get this built in the next few months and rolled out by the end of the year, I would likely have monthly profits of about $120K a month by the end of the year and nearly $250K before it plateaus. They could be in place for an entire 50 year term, though we'd start with 10. My partners win and I can give equity to everyone pulling this together. I'm not greedy. Yes, I'll need to take on a bit of debt to get it moving...but I'd have it paid back in less than a year.

Like, that's life changing.

So I'm assembling the team and my wife keeps interrupting me..... and then she won't even talk. She doesn't want any money invested in it....but I can get everything I need on credit even. It's just her excuse. The partner is already going to charge no rent, no utilities...basically no expenses save a share of the revenue....they believe in the product....because it will work.

Finally she says she wants a normal husband with a job. Are you kidding me?!?! My job sucks, mostly from a crappy boss and who knows how long that will last. She says I don't know all of this stuff and I'll screw it up. I don't know it all, which is why I want partners. And no business is risk free, but this one comes with 20 years of revenues already in hand with a monopoly...if I can execute this year, which I can. I won't ********** up.

I love my wife...but we've got no kids yet. If she hijacks this, I have a feeling I will hate her forever. It's not about the money, thought that's a huge perk, but more that she just kicked my intellectual baby in the toilet as a failure without even looking at it. Even as more people are signing on to go forward she's literally the only one saying I suck to badly. People love the process, yet she won't even look before signalling that it will fail.

I think I go for the execution now, no matter what, and try and apologize later. Is that horrible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 05:48 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrrSmash View Post
I had an unbelievable day today. For the past several months I've been tinkering with an idea and a machine that would provide a service most people use but normally have to go to a store for. Today I pitched the idea and the business development team for nearby development. They loved it. They not only wanted it for there, but they want to deploy it around the world.

I raced to the phones to get my team together. It's go time and if I can get this built in the next few months and rolled out by the end of the year, I would likely have monthly profits of about $120K a month by the end of the year and nearly $250K before it plateaus. They could be in place for an entire 50 year term, though we'd start with 10. My partners win and I can give equity to everyone pulling this together. I'm not greedy. Yes, I'll need to take on a bit of debt to get it moving...but I'd have it paid back in less than a year.

So I'm assembling the team and my wife keeps interrupting me..... and then she won't even talk. She doesn't want any money invested in it....but I can get everything I need on credit even. It's just her excuse. The partner is already going to charge no rent, no utilities...basically no expenses save a share of the revenue....they believe in the product....because it will work.

Finally she says she wants a normal husband with a job. Are you kidding me?!?! My job sucks, mostly from a crappy boss and who knows how long that will last. She says I don't know all of this stuff and I'll screw it up. I don't know it all, which is why I want partners. And no business is risk free, but this one comes with 20 years of revenues already in hand with a monopoly...if I can execute this year, which I can. I won't ********** up.

I love my wife...but we've got no kids yet. If she hijacks this, I have a feeling I will hate her forever. It's not about the money, thought that's a huge perk, but more that she just kicked my intellectual baby in the toilet as a failure without even looking at it. Even as more people are signing on to go forward she's literally the only one saying I suck to badly. People love the process, yet she won't even look before signalling that it will fail.

I think I go for the execution now, no matter what, and try and apologize later. Is that horrible?
A lot of what you wrote about your thought process and your marriage is horrible.

It certainly isn't the way grown-ups handle their business, personal and professional.

Is there a chance your wife has lived through several failed "million-dollar attempts" already and is gun-shy?

Old 01-19-2016, 05:52 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Seems your wife doesn't have much faith in the things you do. Maybe, for good reason?

Old 01-19-2016, 05:53 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Yeah... what can go wrong?

Much of what the OP writes, from a startup business standpoint, is completely unrealistic.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:59 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,598 times
me

Old 01-19-2016, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,651 times
Default No failed attempts

No, today she spelled it out. She doesn't want to lose her money...which is ridiculous considering I pay most of the bills and still come up with most of the savings. She saves her money for shopping and has built up an ok chunk of change...but I don't want her money and have never asked or implied that I should have it. I want to spend some of my money to get this off the ground. That pissed her off that I thought of it as my money and not ours. She continued that she didn't care if everything was free...she wants a husband that has a job, not a company.

There is no startup exhaustion from me. Her ex a long time ago started something and it failed miserably. Who could have forseen a gambling addict getting into trouble after becoming a bookie... but this isn't like that at all.

I've been working steadily my entire life and I have no expensive habits/hobbies. I've worked in the industry, though its a totally new application. I have been doing improvements for someone else my entire life. Not for the money, but because that's what I like. I'm not cheap, but after getting my things, there's little consumption I want to do. My hobby is working on things to make them work better. I've given her anything she wants...luxury cars, clothes, handbags, bigger home. Personally I was fine in a Ford and our (my) first little condo, though I like air conditioning now.

What I've always wanted is to someday run my own show. I finally see my opportunity, have given it due diligence, and it works. I've looked at several over a lifetime, so this isn't a first idea, but I've never wanted to pursue one before like this. Now it is possible. I've got a customer asking me to name a revenue share and they are taking care of facilities. I've got a manufacturer willing to exchange machines for licensing rights. I've got a servicing agent ready to commit to expansion if I go with them. Not without risk, but a lot of things seem to be lining up pretty quickly.

The lack of confidence from the wife was both unexpected, severe and tremendously disappointing. If it were...don't run your own show because of x....but it's don't run your own show because I never want you to run your own show.

She ended the tirade that she wanted a divorce if I was going to start this business. I was stunned..and now I'm rather angry. Then she called my mother of all things to talk sense into me...and my mother, God bless her, told her straight that she was crazy if she didn't think this type of thing was what I've always wanted to do. So now the family is picking on her.

Sorry, it's likely too nuts to be believed on CD.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:20 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrrSmash View Post

In NY ten percent of all households are millionaires, today you need five million to equal what a millionaire was back when you were a kid.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:42 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I'm sad for you that your wife can't back you on this. I would understand if your financial survival was tenuous and you wanted to put money the household NEEDED into some scheme...but it sounds like you're not planning to quit your job unless/until you have this off the ground, and you've got enough savings so that it's not going to hurt your household, and she has benefited from you materially a great deal during the marriage and just wants to keep knowing that paycheck will not stop. I understand being a bit gun-shy, due to experience, but there are ways to mitigate risk and it sounds like you're mindful of that. She sounds very selfish, and like she loves you more for what you provide to her lifestyle, than for you as a person and your hopes, ambitions, and dreams.

I think you should stand up to her, call her bluff, and do it. If she divorces you, she divorces you. May be for the best, if your plans make you rich, that she divorce you BEFORE some judge says she can have half. She should not profit from a dream she had no faith in.

This is assuming that what you have told us is absolutely true at face value, and not heavily colored by your own bias and enthusiasm for all of this...you could in fact have a pragmatic wife and an improbable chance at success, and simply be telling us how awesome it is when in fact it's a disaster waiting to happen. The reality is likely somewhere in between...and ultimately you won't know if you don't try. Good luck OP, with your business, and your wife.

EDIT: Very important caveat--I have known people who came up with amazing ideas, and tried to get a business venture off the ground with a bunch of other people involved like what you describe, only to have "partners" steal ownership of the idea and the profits and business right out from under them and leave the original innovator right out in the cold. Be careful that this doesn't happen to you. Trust no one. Expect them to be out for their own gain. Guard yourself.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:50 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
In one day you pitched an idea, got a firm offer, assembled a team and have customers who are committing to a contract?

Old 01-20-2016, 10:19 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,127,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
In one day you pitched an idea, got a firm offer, assembled a team and have customers who are committing to a contract?
Yeah. So this "machine" is about something done at home that up until now people would go out to get done. Well the only machine that comes to mind is the ones used for mounting and balanced new tires on my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships