Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2016, 06:16 AM

1 posts, read 546 times

Advertisements

I'm a 35 year old women and have been seeing this man for 7 1/2 weeks. I really like him. He wants to take me to meet his parents, they are not local so it will be a weekend trip. Is it too soon to be meeting parents? I do see a future with him but I have met a lot of parents in my 35 years and I'm still single. Plus I'm 35 and an adult not sure meeting parents means as much now as it did when I was in my 20's. Do men feel that if he introduces a women to his parents that she is a keeper and they are ready to commit? Is he trying to get approval from his parents? We are both 35 and can make our own decisions. I'm confused. Can people give me their experiences when they took their bf/gf to meet parents (remember 2 months)? Meeting parents has always been important to me but I have met many parents and relationships didn't work out. The might be the quickest I have ever met parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 06:20 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous_always View Post

Do men feel that if he introduces a women to his parents that she is a keeper and they are ready to commit? Is he trying to get approval from his parents?
All of the above and more, probably.

It doesn't have to "mean" anything except what the two of you decide it means. It's not as if meeting them signs you up to stay with him for a lifetime. Just look at it as a way to get to know HIM better and learn more about this person you've been seeing for a couple of months.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:19 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,905,871 times
Pretty early.

Fast in = Fast out.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:18 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
If you care at all about his family then go meet them.

I have found that it is rare for a prospective SO to be completely non-judgmental regarding the other person's family, warts and all.

Best to get this stuff out of the way right up front.

Unless it really does not and will not ever matter (rare).

Old 01-19-2016, 03:47 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,447,211 times
Sure, why not? At 35 you'll probably have more in common with them than when you were 20. Have fun. I'm sure they'll be lovely people.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:54 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous_always View Post
I'm a 35 year old women and have been seeing this man for 7 1/2 weeks. I really like him. He wants to take me to meet his parents, they are not local so it will be a weekend trip. Is it too soon to be meeting parents? I do see a future with him but I have met a lot of parents in my 35 years and I'm still single. Plus I'm 35 and an adult not sure meeting parents means as much now as it did when I was in my 20's. Do men feel that if he introduces a women to his parents that she is a keeper and they are ready to commit? Is he trying to get approval from his parents? We are both 35 and can make our own decisions. I'm confused. Can people give me their experiences when they took their bf/gf to meet parents (remember 2 months)? Meeting parents has always been important to me but I have met many parents and relationships didn't work out. The might be the quickest I have ever met parents.
Absolutely if I bring one home to meet my parents she's definitely a keeper and I make a quite a big thing of it just to show her how serious I am about her .

Obviously there is no time limit on it but it screams to me that he really likes you. I would go and meet the parents for sure

Old 01-19-2016, 04:03 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
I met my exH's dad a few months after we married, and his mom and extended relatives nearly two years after we married.

My current H and I married really early on and met each other's parents after the fact. I don't *need* to involve my parents in who I date, nor did I need their approval.

If you're okay with it, go for it.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:57 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
I met his mom a couple of weeks after we started dating...he met my mom a couple weeks after that.....after 23 years....sort of breaks that idea that it's a relationship breaker if it's 'too fast'.

Don't ovet think this....it means he's comfortable enough to take you to meet his parents....go and see what happens. .

Old 01-19-2016, 07:14 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times
Meeting the parents less than 2 months in is way too soon. Take the foot off the gas pedal.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:22 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
IMO, it's too soon to be meeting the parents. You two don't even know each other, really.

I've heard stories from women who say the guy rushes them into meeting the parents to give the impression that he''s serious about her, as a way to get her into bed. Once that's done, he disappears.

In other words, you could file this under the "too much too soon" rule. Or maybe not. But if you're not comfortable with it and feel like it's too soon, go with that. You may discover later that you had a good reason for that gut feeling.

Of course, you realize, right, that we're giving you this advice without knowing much about the 2 months, and how well you two are clicking or not quite clicking. Still, it sounds like you feel that the relationship isn't on a solid footing yet, so, why meet parents? You have a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships