Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 09:37 AM

451 posts, read 465,153 times

Advertisements

Here's a good discussion of POF:

The Crap that is Plenty Of Fish : Dating, Relationships, Foreign Women • Happier Abroad Forum Community
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 10:04 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,922,650 times
bottom of the barrel for dating
I was on there for almost a year while separated
women 60lbs+ heavier than what they admit to or pics show (very creative pic taking hides the girth)
broke ass women with no car, drugs and drink issues, crazy exes and sometimes crazy spouses
hookers...YES...I found quite a few who were DIRECTLY looking for $$...most were at least indirectly

change the income on your profile and watch em come out of the woodwork
youd be surprised

Old 01-25-2016, 10:21 AM

39,212 posts, read 27,582,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
I personally was on POF about 7 years ago for a short while and didn't like it much. I Have been on match and liked it, but took a break from it a couple of months ago (will probably go back on it eventually), so in the meantime was thinking of joining POF, but I've heard from many that's a hookup site (which is not what I want), I've also tried bumble, but quickly discovered that most people on there are just looking for hookups as well. On match I seemed to encounter men who were more serious about finding someone.

So just wanted to get some opinions on POF if you've used it, and how the experience was.
Depends on what you are looking for. There are way too many good looking folks on plenty of fish, which cannot be a bad thing. But if you are looking for a serious relationship, I'd say paid dating site like match.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:14 AM

13,644 posts, read 9,701,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
bottom of the barrel for dating
I was on there for almost a year while separated
women 60lbs+ heavier than what they admit to or pics show (very creative pic taking hides the girth)
broke ass women with no car, drugs and drink issues, crazy exes and sometimes crazy spouses
hookers...YES...I found quite a few who were DIRECTLY looking for $$...most were at least indirectly

change the income on your profile and watch em come out of the woodwork
youd be surprised
Experiences will vary. I've received exactly one solicitation on OKC from a woman interested in trading affection for lucre, and zero such offers on POF. I've never received even the faintest hint that the person in question is interested in being supported, rescued or otherwise sustained.

I have however with remarkable frequency run into women on the edge of poverty (often despite being college graduates), women taking a bevy of anti-depressants, renting a room or literally an attic-garret in somebody's house, and so forth. This has been true for POF and OKC in equal amounts. The common denominator is that I'm interested in women who are child-free. Well, locally, the 40+ child-free set is, shall we say, not the most successful or the most mentally stable. I've actually found the single-moms to be in better shape.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:59 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Wow, sour grapes much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Well, we're merely doing what we're told: competing within our own league!

Here's another exasperating oddity: most of the women who I've met online, report no paucity of dates for themselves. They do lament not meeting sufficiently compatible men, in the sense of a comprehensive package of the physical, the emotional, the intellectual and the logistical (lives close enough, has suitable work-schedule, does not have entanglements with former spouse,…), which is why they persevere with dating.

His point, to the extent that it's also my point, is that after some months/years, one finds recurrently the same 10-15 faces appearing whenever one runs a compatibility-screen - especially on OKC. I could do a screen-shot of last night's pickings, one from the past summer, one from another 6 months prior, and so forth... the overlap amongst these would probably be around two thirds.

I'm merely stating a fact. PoF has a lot of low quality women if I want to date on there I would have to lower my standards to someone I'm not physically attracted to and/or has a ton of issues like the guy above luckytobalive, eduded to.

Any guy that gets a lot of dates on PoF, isn't very selective. Sorry that's just the truth.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:18 AM

1,754 posts, read 2,467,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Exactly. If you aren't married and have no children, and not much in the way of responsibilities, then sure, meeting people around town is certainly fine. But for those of us that have lots of demands on our time, which I think is certainly more normal when you are older, OLD offers a great time-savings. It did for me, and worked very well.
How would surfing dating profiles be a time saver, over meeting somebody while you are already out doing something?

Unless, of course, you are advocating the trolling of dating sites from company time and equipment.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:30 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
How would surfing dating profiles be a time saver, over meeting somebody while you are already out doing something?

Unless, of course, you are advocating the trolling of dating sites from company time and equipment.

Because meeting someone single that you have things in common with, and make a connection with, is nearly impossible. If I'm lucky, and I'm out 3-5 nights a week (which I'd like to cut back on), that might happen 1-2 times a year. Usually less.

While using OLD I can find many times that.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:00 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,684 times
I'm like Goldilocks when I look on POF. I look at the pics and find them all unattractive. Then I'll find someone attractive and think he's too attractive for me. I have rarely if ever found someone who was "jusssst right." I did go on one date recently with a guy. I loved his height, because I like short guys. But he had a strong accent. Couldn't deal.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:38 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,807,968 times
I've actually joined Bumble now, and am enjoying it, however I haven't met anybody on there in person yet (the true test!).

Old 01-27-2016, 09:45 AM

39,212 posts, read 27,582,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
I personally was on POF about 7 years ago for a short while and didn't like it much. I Have been on match and liked it, but took a break from it a couple of months ago (will probably go back on it eventually), so in the meantime was thinking of joining POF, but I've heard from many that's a hookup site (which is not what I want), I've also tried bumble, but quickly discovered that most people on there are just looking for hookups as well. On match I seemed to encounter men who were more serious about finding someone.

So just wanted to get some opinions on POF if you've used it, and how the experience was.
Forgot to add, some people on match are also on POF lol but a lot of people on POF are not necessarily on match. Obviously, match is the paid dating site, and POF is not. I think people who are on paid sites are more serious in a long term relationship. (well, generally speaking.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships