Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2016, 09:32 PM

20 posts, read 18,280 times

Advertisements

General question, if you are looking for a relationship, would dating a man who has never been in a relationship unnerve you?

I am 26, dating a man who is also 26. We've been dating for a little more than 2 weeks, been on 4 or 5 dates. We have had sex. I am taking my time to get to know him, but sexual compatibility is important to me. I'm certainly not trying to rush things, however I am looking for something that could develop into a relationship.

Having said this, he is 26, and has not been in a serious relationship since high school. He has basically no relationship experience.

He says he's not sure what he's looking for, but seems open to seeing where things go. He generally sets up the dates.

I'm a little unsure about his lack of dating experience. I'm also unsure of the progression of things. We generally talk almost every day, but not all day. We will go a day or so every now and then without talking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 09:37 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,769,668 times
Hate to burst your bubble but people who generally go into dating claiming they "don't know what they're looking for" usually aren't looking for a relationship or at least has some reservations about it, especially from someone with not a lot of relationships. I'm just saying that from experience hearing that from guys and feeling that way myself.

But there's no way to know until some time has passed. It could be different for him and you could change his uncertainty.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:43 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NK2012 View Post
General question, if you are looking for a relationship, would dating a man who has never been in a relationship unnerve you?

I am 26, dating a man who is also 26. We've been dating for a little more than 2 weeks, been on 4 or 5 dates. We have had sex. I am taking my time to get to know him, but sexual compatibility is important to me. I'm certainly not trying to rush things, however I am looking for something that could develop into a relationship.

Having said this, he is 26, and has not been in a serious relationship since high school. He has basically no relationship experience.

He says he's not sure what he's looking for, but seems open to seeing where things go. He generally sets up the dates.

I'm a little unsure about his lack of dating experience. I'm also unsure of the progression of things. We generally talk almost every day, but not all day. We will go a day or so every now and then without talking.
Ok, to recap:

You think you're dating, but you've only been on "4 or 5" dates.

You've had sex, but you aren't trying to rush things and are "taking your time" to get to know him.

He's "open to seeing where things go," which in my experience is code word for "as long as she keeps having sex with me, I'll be available."

You apparently expect grown people to text each other all day long.

These ^^^ are the things that would concern me.

Also, yes, his lack of relationship experience COULD be a concern, but you really should get to know him better before you judge.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:49 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,328,608 times
Shouldn't 'getting to know him/trying not to rush' come before having sex?

Anywho, I agree, only time will tell.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:04 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post

Yeah, this. But she also said that sexual compatibility is important to her, so I guess she was just trying to see if there was any point in continuing to date him, by seeing if they were sexually compatible first?

He's only 26, OP. It's not like he's 40 with no relationship experience. Going by the title of your thread, I thought you were going to be talking about someone who was close to, or in, middle age, who had only had unstable (i.e. drama-filled) relationships.

I think if you have reservations about him, his lack of relationship history should be the least of your concerns.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yeah, this. But she also said that sexual compatibility is important to her, so I guess she was just trying to see if there was any point in continuing to date him, by seeing if they were sexually compatible first?

He's only 26, OP. It's not like he's 40 with no relationship experience. Going by the title of your thread, I thought you were going to be talking about someone who was close to, or in, middle age, who had only had unstable (i.e. drama-filled) relationships.

I think if you have reservations about him, his lack of relationship history should be the least of your concerns.
I get what you're saying. I didnt know how to interpret his statement that he wasn't sure what he wanted but was open to seeing where things go, if it was more related to his lack of relationship experience or if it was a way to blow smoke in my face.

I can be naive, and I have been in several long relationships. I'm not keen on the real dating experience, and how things generally progress. My idea of it, from speaking with friends, is that people generally see each other casually for weeks to months before making anything official. I just wasn't sure what I should or should not expect from this guy at this point. I wasn't sure if his stance was a way to keep things casual and see how it progresses, or if it was a way to get what he wanted without giving anything.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:50 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,328,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NK2012 View Post
I get what you're saying. I didnt know how to interpret his statement that he wasn't sure what he wanted but was open to seeing where things go, if it was more related to his lack of relationship experience or if it was a way to blow smoke in my face.

I can be naive, and I have been in several long relationships. I'm not keen on the real dating experience, and how things generally progress. My idea of it, from speaking with friends, is that people generally see each other casually for weeks to months before making anything official. I just wasn't sure what I should or should not expect from this guy at this point. I wasn't sure if his stance was a way to keep things casual and see how it progresses, or if it was a way to get what he wanted without giving anything.
Good chances, its a ruse. I'm sure your gut feeling is sensing that as well.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Good chances, its a ruse. I'm sure your gut feeling is sensing that as well.
Thanks for clarifying. How would you proceed at this point? Should I just stop replying to contact? Tell him I don't think we're on the same page? I certaintly do not want to be dramatic, and want to keep it as simple as possible.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:49 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,606,918 times
You are unsure about the progression of things? It has been two weeks.

For someone who claims to not want to rush things, you sure are in a hurry.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:54 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,898,777 times
Quote:

No. Protocol is to have sex then properly court the girl. Sex first, holding hands second. Some Amish even have "courting buggiest" but a girl only sees that AFTER she puts out. How it's always been done around here.

So yeah, this scenario isn't unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships