Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 11:31 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times

Advertisements

I think at best, maybe, people deserve and opportunity. Or in other words, they should (and do) have a right to pursue their own happiness.

Thats a lot different than achieving it, or worse, blindly receiving it (as some sort of entitlement)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 11:31 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
I don't understand what you mean by "deserve." Do you feel that there is some sort of universal force that is responsible for everything to be fair and equal for all, but then randomly cheats some people out of things?

Seriously, what is your actual world view on who "deserves" what and who decides?

Old 01-26-2016, 11:35 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,607,048 times
What does "deserve" mean? And who is anyone here to judge who deserves what, really?

I'd say a truly dark hearted person absolutely doesn't "deserve" it, but as Clint Eastwood said in Unforgiven, "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

You can be a wonderful person and never find romantic love, or be a terrible person and be adored by millions (see: Donald Trump.)

Old 01-26-2016, 11:42 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times
Not everyone does. Some people need to be alone forever.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:23 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
No, because people have free will to love or not love. Nobody is owed romantic feelings. I agree that children deserve love from their parents.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:28 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I think at best, maybe, people deserve and opportunity. Or in other words, they should (and do) have a right to pursue their own happiness.

This makes the least sense. I get the other posters who say it has nothing to do with deserving, though that is not my opinion. But what does they deserve an opportunity. Who is going to be responsible for offering up that deserved opportunity. I agree that THEY have the right to PURSUE. That puts the action plan on them. But when you say they deserve an opportunity, do you mean a world to live in in which others also reside? Then I would agree.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:36 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times
Like trust and respect, one has to earn the right to be loved.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:37 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
I don't think anyone is "deserving" of anything.
That's just a construct we impose

Old 01-26-2016, 12:38 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
No. We live in a "I got mine but it $uck$ to be you" world. This extends to love and relationships as well.

It isn't enough to just find someone. It's equally fulfilling to look at those who don't have it, and not only kick them while they're down, but to continue kicking them to KEEP them down.

I speak from first hand experience to the latter. See my ongoing discussion on this re: online dating. I've been rejected so many times that I've finally given up. Not just on dating, but perhaps on life in general. A life led in solitude where no one so much as remembers your birthday isn't really much of a life worth living.
No, it's more like "I worked very hard to get mine. If you want yours, you have to work hard also".

Old 01-26-2016, 01:15 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,345,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I don't understand what you mean by "deserve." Do you feel that there is some sort of universal force that is responsible for everything to be fair and equal for all, but then randomly cheats some people out of things?

Seriously, what is your actual world view on who "deserves" what and who decides?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
What does "deserve" mean? And who is anyone here to judge who deserves what, really?

I'd say a truly dark hearted person absolutely doesn't "deserve" it, but as Clint Eastwood said in Unforgiven, "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

You can be a wonderful person and never find romantic love, or be a terrible person and be adored by millions (see: Donald Trump.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
No, because people have free will to love or not love. Nobody is owed romantic feelings. I agree that children deserve love from their parents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
I don't think anyone is "deserving" of anything.
That's just a construct we impose

I also wonder what "deserves" means here. It seems that most of you are reading it to mean, roughly, "entitled to". If that's what the OP intended, then I agree, although I would never use the horrid word "entitled" except to clarify.

However, he could be asking whether there's some standard a person must meet in order to be worthy of love, or to be good enough. I'm not sure that the OP uses that phrasing, but a lot of young men here speak of not being good enough to be loved. Working back, if there's not a standard, then everyone can potentially be loved. The only obstacle is finding someone to love who loves you back.

In this latter sense I'd say that yes everyone deserves love, but each of us has to search for and find it with someone on the same quest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships