Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 07:12 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,225,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooncesTheDrivingCat View Post
Just to throw my two bits in there...

Online dating absolutely sucks for guys.....but there is a positive. And that is that all the guys you're competing with are sitting at home in their saggy tighty whities eating Cheetos with their belly hanging over their waistband and trying to talk to women online that they'd never have the courage to approach in the real world. So what I have found is that my success rate in talking to women I meet randomly is higher than I would have anticipated and I suspect that it's because I'm a real live gentleman with the courage to start a fun conversation. In other words you can stand out just by not being one of the many guys hitting on women online.

Funny side note....I found that my success with online dating also went up when I first updated my profile to let my arrogant/dominant side show through a bit and then sent messages that were meant to be light hearted, but bordered on being just a bit of a jerk that didn't care if they messaged back. I'm not sure if the improved success is because women like a jerk or if it's because I just let a little more of the "real me" show through. I guess that's the age old "do women prefer bad boys" question......
The guys I've met from OLD were very into the gym & very outgoing. They used OLD in addition to IRL meetings!

Your "success" could have been due to being perceived as confident. Maybe you thought you were being a jerk, whilst the other person interpreted your message as being funny. It's sometimes difficult to convey messages via text etc. Why would you feel the need to hide the real you in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 08:47 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Or it could be that guys think postings like this will work:

(Copied and pasted verbatim from Okcupid)

My self summary
loveing kind careing tusting

What I’m doing with my life
going to school for home serictly

I’m really good at
law

The six things I could never do without
family/ frinds/ food and soom one to love me for me. my farms my dogs

On a typical Friday night I am

at home washing moves

This guy shouldn't even be allowed near a computer, much less the chance to reproduce.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:09 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post

My self summary

I’m really good at
law

at home washing moves

This guy shouldn't even be allowed near a computer, much less the chance to reproduce.
I'm sitting here in tears, I'm laughing so hard at this!

Old 02-20-2016, 11:28 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Quote:

My self summary

I’m really good at
law

at home washing moves

OH, my God. I think this kind of thing is likely prevalent, while one wonders why nothing is happening. Then, what about another having prepared a better profile for someone like this, unbeknownst to those showing up to meet them, based upon that?

This makes me think, what if it could be known beforehand what negative traits another actually possesses overall and what mental issues exist that would be a real deterrent? This would really cut down on people meeting this way and would be even fewer of those (hopefully) "having sex immediately" for no good reason.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:28 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,174 times
Quote:

My self summary

I’m really good at
law

at home washing moves

If women are genuinely amazed by profiles like this, then I'm envious.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
If women are genuinely amazed by profiles like this, then I'm envious.
How so? You think this is normal and appropriate for a dude to post?

Old 02-22-2016, 06:47 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,174 times
Quote:
How so? You think this is normal and appropriate for a dude to post?
Meaning, I'd love to live in a world where profiles like that were outliers worth making mention of. However, when browsing women's profiles, I see content like that constantly. I wouldn't be surprised if the same was true of men's profiles, but people seemed to be treating it like it was a special/unique case. If that's true, then I'm absolutely jealous.

So is it appropriate? No, but I'm sure guy who made the profile has no idea. But is it normal? Absolutely...at least on women's profiles. I'd assumed that the case is the same for a ton of men's profiles, but the excitement over that one in particular implies otherwise.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:01 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:

My self summary

I’m really good at
law

at home washing moves

What does he look like though?

Old 02-22-2016, 10:35 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I have to agree. When the connection is local that is. Often they are not. I have done a number of inter-state encounters. Two that didn't last were between the U.S. and Canada. One of my college friends met someone in the UK in the very early days of the Internet and when she graduated and entered and finished graduate school she must have gone over there because a few years ago I saw evidence online (we had long since lost touch) that she was married and living in the UK.
This is why I only do local. Ask me to meet within a week or 2 at the VERY outside, or I have no more time to waste on you.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Meaning, I'd love to live in a world where profiles like that were outliers worth making mention of. However, when browsing women's profiles, I see content like that constantly. I wouldn't be surprised if the same was true of men's profiles, but people seemed to be treating it like it was a special/unique case. If that's true, then I'm absolutely jealous.

So is it appropriate? No, but I'm sure guy who made the profile has no idea. But is it normal? Absolutely...at least on women's profiles. I'd assumed that the case is the same for a ton of men's profiles, but the excitement over that one in particular implies otherwise.
Well then that's a shame for you, because I look at both men's and women's profiles and the women's are overwhelmingly thoughtful, well written, and grammatically correct. Men's are overwhelmingly short, simplistic, full of errors, and say nothing of substance about the author (although sometimes there isn't much of substance to share ).

I'm guessing it's a regional difference. Here in the midwest I am surrounded by rednecks, drug users, and college students who are far too young for me. It's a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships