Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 05:05 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
No.

I would have confirmed both the day before and on the same day. If you cancel and say you forgot then I don't want to know you.
Yeah, I'm one of those people who likes to ask "Are we still on for today?" a few hours before the date. I'd rather they flake before the date than just not show up, and that has worked so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 05:12 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
Here's the scenario: It's Friday or Saturday, 8 p.m. You agreed to meet for dinner and send a text saying you just got there and can meet them in front. 5 minutes go by and you get a text back from them saying they forgot and can't meet tonight...but they want to reschedule.

Do you do it? Why or why not?
This is a very vague hypothetical scenario. Is this a date or are you meeting your brother, friend, or someone else? Is this a business meeting, a dinner party, or something potentially romantic? When did you originally agree to meet? And what are the person's reasons for rescheduling? Maybe the person's car broke down, their home caught on fire, or they had to work a double shift. I wouldn't rule out meeting at a later time. After all, he/she didn't stand OP up. The person responded and asked to reschedule.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:51 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Yeah, I'm one of those people who likes to ask "Are we still on for today?" a few hours before the date. I'd rather they flake before the date than just not show up, and that has worked so far.
Idk, for every person who likes to confirm there are plenty that just want their space or think, "Of course, we literally just talked about this." I'll confirm if it's been more than a few days, she contacts me first, or if there is some reason the date may be in doubt (bad weather for example). Otherwise once you're an adult and make plans within the week with someone, it's on you to show up or cancel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
This is a very vague hypothetical scenario. Is this a date or are you meeting your brother, friend, or someone else? Is this a business meeting, a dinner party, or something potentially romantic? When did you originally agree to meet? And what are the person's reasons for rescheduling? Maybe the person's car broke down, their home caught on fire, or they had to work a double shift. I wouldn't rule out meeting at a later time. After all, he/she didn't stand OP up. The person responded and asked to reschedule.
Yeah, I left it vague to open up the discussion. As it happened to me: This was a date and no, it wasn't a broken down car. Set it up earlier in the week and confirmed it (though not the day of). As I implied in the thread title the excuse was literally just, "I forgot."

Old 01-30-2016, 06:02 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
"I forgot" as an excuse would lead me to immediately lose that person's number. I think there are many scenarios that would deserve a second chance. That is certainly not one of them.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:02 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,809,401 times
Quote:
Here's the scenario: It's Friday or Saturday, 8 p.m. You agreed to meet for dinner and send a text saying you just got there and can meet them in front. 5 minutes go by and you get a text back from them saying they forgot and can't meet tonight...but they want to reschedule.

No way, that is a total lack of respect for you and your time! I'd also probably have a few choice words for that person!

Old 01-30-2016, 07:15 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,041 times
Quote:

You can if you want, and you don't have to if you don't want. Its up to you.

People are fallible. Things happen that cant be predicted, and may out-rank a dinner date - especially if its a casual first meeting - in the level of urgency and importance to someone.

Maybe they are amazingly busy, or popular, and absentmindedly overfilled their calendar. At any rate, its not the end of the world, unless you are in a committed relationship with them, so its up to you. Do what you want.

For what its worth, asking about rescheduling doesn't sound like a sign of rejection.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:48 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
Idk, for every person who likes to confirm there are plenty that just want their space or think, "Of course, we literally just talked about this." I'll confirm if it's been more than a few days, she contacts me first, or if there is some reason the date may be in doubt (bad weather for example). Otherwise once you're an adult and make plans within the week with someone, it's on you to show up or cancel.
Yeah, but I still like to get confirmation the day of because things do happen. I'm supposed to be meeting someone later today, we set it up yesterday, and I told him to let me know if he can't make it, so I guess I could just show up without confirming today. The place is only like two minutes away from my house anyway, so if he doesn't show up, I can easily go back home. But I'd still be annoyed.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:22 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,443,100 times
No, I would delete her number and she would never hear from me again.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:30 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,684,768 times
No. The first date obviously wasn't that important to him so a second probably wouldn't be either.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:43 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
Obviously, the people involved in this hypothetical scenario have a communication problem.

I'm definitely not leaving to meet someone without a solid conformation(s)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships