Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 07:13 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detguest View Post
*in PC circles I want no part of
This likely works out well as I doubt they want you in there.

So I guess it's a win win.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:54 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Huh. Well, for the record, I Sarah is pretty controversial as far as comedians go - so it's not like she proves that it's more acceptable for women to be crass/crude. And I still think there is a difference between being crass and being racist, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Not thinking rape is funny is PC nonsense???????

I love off-color jokes...generally. Jokes that make a person kind of gasp. But there's a limit. There's a line. For example, I have a Jewish niece and nephew. (Their mother is Jewish, my BIL is Christian, they chose Judaism.) My other BIL at one particular family gathering made a hilarious gassing-Jews joke right in front of these two. Har har! He was the only one laughing. ALL of the rest of us at the table normally have very sassy/borderline gasp-worthy senses of humor and very, very thick skins, generally. ALL of us sat there and stared at him.

There's a line. Some things aren't funny and it's not because people are "too PC." That's a copout and the lazy way of saying "I'm socially inept and have no clue what's actually funny and what isn't but I'll blame it on the person who didn't dig my style."
I find that people that have a huge problem with things being too PC are usually racists, misogynists, homophobes, etc. that just want to continue making fun of people in a derogatory way and not get in trouble for it.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:19 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Huh. Well, for the record, I Sarah is pretty controversial as far as comedians go - so it's not like she proves that it's more acceptable for women to be crass/crude. And I still think there is a difference between being crass and being racist, etc.

I find that people that have a huge problem with things being too PC are usually racists, misogynists, homophobes, etc. that just want to continue making fun of people in a derogatory way and not get in trouble for it.
Pretty much.

What they are really saying is "Hi, I'm a huge jackass only I should be able to treat people like a pile of horse droppings and they shouldn't call me out for my behavior".

Old 02-03-2016, 08:29 PM

146 posts, read 91,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
This likely works out well as I doubt they want you in there.

So I guess it's a win win.
Lol you can keep your safe spaces and trigger warnings. I think ill survive

Old 02-03-2016, 08:34 PM

146 posts, read 91,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post

Ah yes, people who believe thought and speech should not be policed to protect your delicate sensibilities must be labeled as bad people. Why? Because it's easier to label people than to admit the fact you think the world should change so you can be more comfortable.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:47 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,607,850 times
Quote:
Ah yes, people who believe thought and speech should not be policed to protect your delicate sensibilities must be labeled as bad people. Why? Because it's easier to label people than to admit the fact you think the world should change so you can be more comfortable.
It's not about the policing of thought and speech; it's about having a sick enough mind to want to continue to insult groups of people without being called out on it.

That's what it boils down to. As was said upthread, people who complain about political correctness usually do it because, where once upon a time they could say some pretty rotten things without consequence, these days people look down upon it.

And yes; if you are racist, sexist, if you think rape is funny, etc. then you aren't a great person in my book.

I would encourage such people to continue to exercise their right to free speech, however, because it lets me know what type of person they are and that I don't want to associate with them.

Also note that free speech and hate speech are different things, but that's neither here nor there.

As for Sarah Silverman, she shouldn't be used as an example of a lady OR a comedienne, since she's neither ladylike or funny.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:47 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
No way posting on the internet is the only way to go, its pretty tough for things to escalte online, like guns being pulled or someone getting shot over the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
Who says it's acceptable? In my book, being a racist, sexist asshat is never acceptable.

Maybe you should have taken your issue up with your friend instead of posting on an Internet forum about it?

Old 02-04-2016, 04:53 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,607,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
No way posting on the internet is the only way to go, its pretty tough for things to escalte online, like guns being pulled or someone getting shot over the internet.
If his friend's going to shoot him over that, perhaps he should rethink the friendship.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:40 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Meh. A poorly delivered joke about murdering jews is going to go over like a lead balloon.
But if it were well-delivered, no problem?

Pffft. Nice try.

Quote:
Just because right now PC culture is crying about imaginary rape culture in the west doesn't mean comedians can't joke about it. And do you know why they joke about it? Because it still gets laughs.
Yes, rape = imaginary. Uh huh. And, really, it's hilarious! People just think it's real and not funny because PC culture.

FTR, Sarah Silverman is GROSS, tacky, and, IMO, untalented. She plays for shocks, and she would utterly flop if she looked like a troll. She gets a lot of mileage out of being the cute woman who spews vile crap, then shrugs, grins adorably, and plays off the cognitive dissonance of that.

But at the end of the day, gross, crass people are gross, crass people. For some, you get a pass from certain populations if you're otherwise appealing (like Silverman being an attractive, petite woman...reactions to her crassness are WAY different than they were to, say, Roseanne Barr's crassness back in the day). It doesn't have anything to do with gender. It has to do with people being inconsistent in what behavior they tolerate and from whom.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:41 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
If it's a serious worry that your friend is going to shoot you because you note that his girlfriend lacks manners, there's a lot more going on that you need to worry about than said girlfriend's noted lack of manners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships