Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 05:56 AM

3,978 posts, read 4,573,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Go to a bar alone, wear a tight dress, and just let men approach you. You'll find something.

You need to define and explain "something."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 06:44 AM

417 posts, read 593,966 times
Thank you for your encouragement and advice. Work and love can feel so hopeless. My boss is in their early 30s and many of the other bosses are in their late 20s. They all hang out together, go to happy hour together. I feel like I started doing things late and missed the bus. I am the "old" lady that has a lot of work experience and worked in a variety of settings but I work with people that started in the organization straight out of college. They even marry other people in the organization. These young people are so together and seem to make all the right moves in every aspect of their life.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:32 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
Can a woman over 40 who has never had a relationship and not for lack of trying ever hope to find a spouse. I have never had any luck with men. I never really meet any men that are interested. I am average looking and I watch my weight. My job is decent. I feel like I have not accomplished much of anything. I work with all these young 20 and 30 somethings that have better jobs and spouses. I feel like a loser all the time. I just can't compete. I work with a 25 yr old that was on a gymnastics team and is a lawyer that graduated from a top tier law school. This is just one example.
Stop comparing yourself to other people.

You need to work on self confidence. Your depressed and despondent attitude show, think Eeyore. People don't want to be with someone that is down all the time.

Get a life coach. Set some goals. Get a makeover. Find a hobby that you love. Do things that make you happy and people will see that.

You will never be a 25 year old gymnast/lawyer, but you can be an incredible you.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:05 AM

462 posts, read 549,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Women have a tremendous upper hand in the dating market, no matter their age. It should be easy to find someone depending on what you're looking for.
That is only true for teens and early 20's- after that the tide turns toward men having the upper hand. Having said that the fact that she is 40 and has never had a relationship (though she wants one) means something is amiss.

Someone mentioned depression, and that is a strong possibility.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:43 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
I used to play softball on a coed league. One of my teammates was 67 years old. We worked together. Martha also played on a senior's league. She was a badass.

She marched into the office one day and announced she was retiring. She had a rock the size of a skating rink on her left hand. Seems that she had fallen in love with a guy in her senior's softball league and he wanted her to retire so they could travel the world together.

Martha wasn't sitting around comparing herself to others. She was a cantankerous pain in my ass and I was glad when she retired. That said, I always liked and admired her. Maybe there's something you could learn from Martha. Don't wait too long.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:44 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,185,983 times
If you think most married people are walking around blissed out because they are married, you'd be wrong.

Relationships take work. You also have to give up something to maintain them. I don't mean that in a negative way. Perhaps you are not willing to give an inch to keep your man. Or your expectations don't mesh with reality.

I know you want the real deal OP, but, there is nothing wrong with dating around enjoying yourself just to get some "practice" and see what kind of man you attract/are attracted to.

I know many single women. They just don't find many partners that fulfill them enough that they want to commit to that instead of their full single lives. If you can have everything of both worlds (some couples do) then they would be more open to committing.

For me, my perfect husband would have his own house next door

Old 02-05-2016, 01:58 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,749,903 times
What city are you in?

What is your race?

Old 02-05-2016, 02:02 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,792,673 times
Is the 25-year old gymnast/lawyer looking?

Old 02-05-2016, 02:05 PM

417 posts, read 593,966 times
DC area, there are many good looking, educated women here

Old 02-05-2016, 02:09 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
DC area, there are many good looking, educated women here
Honestly stop putting yourself down, Every man has their own idea and opinion of beauty so I've no doubt there are men about that think your " good looking "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships