Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2016, 03:10 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times

Advertisements

The fetishization of the 1950s is a very strange forum phenomenon. Too many Leave it to Beaver re-runs as a child?

Old 02-13-2016, 03:11 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,020,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
As a white man that would love a great woman similar to the ones during that time period, I would love it. It would be an absolute dream to go back to that time period!
The American women I know who came of age in the fifties are nothing like those you are dreaming of. Perhaps you would do better in the Philippines.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:21 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
At least it was stable. Today's world is extremely unstable. I'd take stable and boring over unstable and exciting any day (which, I realize, is against current cultural beliefs).
While I would love to have the level of job security typically found in the 1950s, I could not tolerate the restrictive nature of the 1950s family life. I accept the lesser level of job security of the 21st century as the price to pay for having the freedom from overly restrictive social mores. I barely mourn some aspects of the 1980s. I could not imagine mourning the 1950s.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
The divorce rate is far higher than it was in the 1950s and the birth rate is far lower.
Yes, the divorce rate peaked in the 1970s and has been dropping ever since as many people no longer get married just to go along with the crowd. That is a good thing. Now why is the dropping birth rate bad? Seems to me that would mean an improving situation with less people competing for scarce resources in the future.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
The fetishization of the 1950s is a very strange forum phenomenon. Too many Leave it to Beaver re-runs as a child?
I was born in the mid-1970s and from late childhood onward I always found the reruns of those 1950s shows to be sappy and unbearable to watch. I still enjoy watching reruns of shows from 1970s from time to time. In my opinion the 1970s shows delved into topics that were taboo in earlier decades.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:41 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Well, yes the internet is now littered with stories of rejection, horror stories with divorce, etc.

It is a byproduct of the information age, and not some drastic paradigm shift of dating or social habits between genders. Rejection and divorce existed in modern times before the widespread access we now have in the internet age (and I am not talking the 1940's).

That said, I say "no." Men in large numbers are not going to suddenly shut off their biology, instincts, and desires and shun the opposite sex. That is a ridiculous notion. Those that do are an extreme minority, albeit one with a rather large and vocal voice thanks to the instant loudspeaker which is the internet and social media.
Marshall McLuhan lives on. The medium is the message.

One of the things I found over the years is that woman for me were either feast or famine. Either I had 2-3 i was seeing or I was dancing alone. I am in one of those alone stages right now but I am not giving up......LOL

Old 02-13-2016, 04:10 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I know WITF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkYl_AH-qyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh-vZfASf-M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JeFJ3ypnOs

People probably fetishize it because of all of the propaganda films. Everyone is well spoken, and well dressed and lives in nice houses; but if you couldn't match your clothes, or were a communist or a jealous wife, the 50s were obviously he!!.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:23 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I know WITF.

People probably fetishize it because of all of the propaganda films. Everyone is well spoken, and well dressed and lives in nice houses; but if you couldn't match your clothes, or were a communist or a jealous wife, the 50s were obviously he!!.
Great videos!

Yes, this is exactly how I wish the world was.

I can match my clothes, I'm not a communist, and I'm not a jealous wife. So I would love it.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:24 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I was born in the mid-1970s and from late childhood onward I always found the reruns of those 1950s shows to be sappy and unbearable to watch. I still enjoy watching reruns of shows from 1970s from time to time. In my opinion the 1970s shows delved into topics that were taboo in earlier decades.
I like the 1950s shows. I don't like taboo subjects and certainly don't like how sexualized everything has become.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:51 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I know WITF.

They weren't all roses for the men either, according to my father, uncles, their friends, etc. (born anywhere from late 30s to mid-40s, all middle to upper class white suburban educated guys). The men were just as restricted in their own ways as the women. Always having to keep up a front of perfect suburban bliss, working themselves to death to keep up with the neighbors who seemed propaganda film perfect (but were probably going through exactly the same thing) and keep the kids squeaky clean perfection dressed and the wife in good jewelry and keep up the perfect vacations and join just the right swim clubs and country clubs...every teen dream killed because it was so socially unacceptable not to follow the pack.

In fact, my dad was a greaser as a teen in pure retaliation to those mores but got sucked under into soulless perfect married dad "loves golf and bridge" hell anyway...society squeezed him into it and when he came to his senses he ran away from it all, including us kids, in the very early 70s....for ALL those same reasons as ALL the 70s divorce statistics.

Go 50s, yay.

I mean he had nice things to say about the time period too. But apparently, five cent Cokes in glass bottles and cute music didn't make up for the "you will conform" dictation....for whole lot of people, male and female alike, even those supposedly "on top": educated middle class white males.

I suppose it could work for some people, though. Good luck with your future helpless entirely dependant wife, Akonyo, hope you don't work yourself literally to death while waking up one morning to the horrifying realization that you are chained forever to a helpless money-drain whining bore. All the best, whatever you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships