Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2016, 05:22 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times

Advertisements

Akonya, if you don't think there is male privileged, and white privileged, in society I have no idea what to tell you. Igt exists, in spades (uncomfortable pun intended). I've gotten so many benefits of the doubt being white, and so many doors not closed to me, and I've never walked in fear down a road, or on a date, or anything like that. White males still rule this country. Just look around.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:24 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Akonya, if you don't think there is male privileged, and white privileged, in society I have no idea what to tell you. Igt exists, in spades (uncomfortable pun intended). I've gotten so many benefits of the doubt being white, and so many doors not closed to me, and I've never walked in fear down a road, or on a date, or anything like that. White males still rule this country. Just look around.
I think the people that don't see it are the ones that don't want it to change.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:28 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I think the people that don't see it are the ones that don't want it to change.

Indeed. They feel threatened. I'd be more pissed about it too if I felt alienated and out of work too. But I have so many female friends, so many *****
(edit: not straight) friends, friends of color, that thankfully I see that exacerbating the hyper privilege (as a class) I had in the 50s/60s means alienating my friends of their modest gains. Scr*w that world. I'll compete just fine thank you, and if I don't, that's on me, not society changing.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:35 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,108,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Yes, the divorce rate peaked in the 1970s and has been dropping ever since as many people no longer get married just to go along with the crowd. That is a good thing. Now why is the dropping birth rate bad? Seems to me that would mean an improving situation with less people competing for scarce resources in the future.
A dropping birth rate isnt anything other than fabulous news. The planet has far too many people stressing resources. Social security and medicare can be kept alive with immigration.

If you want to see the difference between unrestrained growth look at India vs. China. Chinas one child policy saved the country which is now a world superpower thanks to efficient growth management and resource use. In India where the average woman still has 5 children the country is chock full of starvation and chaos.

MGTOW wants to repeal some of the feminist advances we believe stepped over the equal rights boundary into womens empowerment. The paternity fraud, alimony, child custody, rape hysteria things.

Many of us date normally. Im going on a date soon myself actually. I doubt the woman will offer to pay, but itd be cool if she did (that would possibly make her worthy of a long term relationship in my eyes). Will I strive to marry and impregnate though? No, absolutely not. I also wont spend superfluous money on women or deal with (for some women) their entitled gender bs so Im not afraid to put them in their place or dump them when they try it on me.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
MGTOW wants to repeal some of the feminist advances we believe stepped over the equal rights boundary into womens empowerment. The paternity fraud, alimony, child custody, rape hysteria things.
What exactly does that mean? Repeal what exactly? What are your proposed solutions to these things that you see as problems?

Quote:
Many of us date normally. Im going on a date soon myself actually. I doubt the woman will offer to pay, but itd be cool if she did (that would possibly make her worthy of a long term relationship in my eyes). Will I strive to marry and impregnate though? No, absolutely not. I also wont spend superfluous money on women or deal with (for some women) their entitled gender bs so Im not afraid to put them in their place or dump them when they try it on me.
If you already see your date as a potential enemy, I'm not sure that I would say that this is dating "normally." I mean, I always offer to pay but I would have a hard time on a date if I felt like I had to prove that I'm not the enemy.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:03 PM

146 posts, read 91,892 times
Men are so privileged they kill themselves 4x more than women, are 90% of work place deaths, and graduate college and high school at lesser rates. Yay male privilege.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:14 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,108,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
What exactly does that mean? Repeal what exactly? What are your proposed solutions to these things that you see as problems?

If you already see your date as a potential enemy, I'm not sure that I would say that this is dating "normally." I mean, I always offer to pay but I would have a hard time on a date if I felt like I had to prove that I'm not the enemy.
The solution to the problems:

End lifetime alimony period. Make 50/50 custody of children default except in extenuating circumstances. Always split property based on who paid what in divorce fairly. Let legal courts not colleges decide what rapes are real and what aren't. Have husbands not be liable for any offspring that isnt theirs (and make paternity testing standard and easy).

Beyond that teaching girls from a young age to pay their way and be respectful to men if they want respect back would be a start. Moreover, being more tolerant of young boys' energy levels and learning styles in the education system would be good too.

As for the date most women go into dates looking for reasons to disqualify men. I dont see why it should be any different for me. If anything Im still probably far more tolerant of paying and bad behavior than most women dating. But again I dont think its that "wimmenz are evil" or some absurdity. I just believe that feminism has brought a bit too much gender entitlement to the "fairer sex" and being greedy Americans they get as much free stuff as they can (some women anyway).

Last edited by njbiodude; 02-13-2016 at 06:27 PM..

Old 02-13-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
The solution to the problems:

End lifetime alimony period. Make 50/50 custody of children default except in extenuating circumstances. Always split property based on who paid what in divorce fairly. Let legal courts not colleges decide what rapes are real and what aren't. Have husbands not be liable for any offspring that isnt theirs (and make paternity testing standard and easy).
I'm not against lifetime alimony in certain circumstances but I don't think it's even common enough anymore to rail against, to be honest. I don't think that the splitting of property based on who paid what is possible in most cases. Marriage is a lot more complicated than that. I agree with letting legal courts and not colleges investigate rape cases since I think that colleges are often more concerned about their reputations than actual justice. I'm torn on the offspring issue because the children are the one's that suffer. I think there should be penalties - maybe fraud charges - for people who lie about paternity. As for paternity testing - it is already easy if you want to get it done. I don't think that hospitals should have any place in telling families about the paternity of the children. I also doubt that insurance companies are going to pony up the extra costs. If someone wants to get a paternity test done, they can.

Quote:
Beyond that teaching girls from a young age to pay their way and be respectful to men if they want respect back would be a start.
Do you also want to teach boys to be respectful of girls if they want respect back?

Quote:
Moreover, being more tolerant of young boys' energy levels and learning styles in the education system would be good too.
As a mother of two very high energy boys, I completely agree.

Quote:
As for the date most women go into dates looking for reasons to disqualify men. I dont see why it should be any different for me. If anything Im still probably far more tolerant of paying and bad behavior than most women dating. But again I dont think its that "wimmenz are evil" or some absurdity. I just believe that feminism has brought a bit too much gender entitlement to the "fairer sex" and being greedy Americans they get as much free stuff as they can (some women anyway).
I don't know, when I dated, I only dated people that I was excited about dating. They didn't have to prove to me that they weren't the enemy as I've never viewed men as the enemy. I love men. And they've always loved me.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:59 PM

13,649 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Allow me to interject a different context here, in waxing nostalgic. I'm an aeronautical engineer. In the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s, my field was "high-tech": glamorous, in-demand, prestigious, burgeoning. My professional forebears executed the designs that literally shaped the world. Then intercontinental jet-airliners became routine, we went to the moon, and aeronautics became passé. For decades, the glamour fields have been information-technology, applied biology and medicine, nano-this and nano-that. From the viewpoint of my profession, I mourn the passing of the 1950s. I mourn the ceding of primacy to new, less-mechanical and more-electronic fields. But all is not lost. Aeronautics remains a relatively secure and remunerative profession, especially on the research-side. Echoes of the 1950s reverberate, however softly.

I don't begrudge the liberation of women. In fact I'm dismayed that even today, there are so few women in aeronautics, and that stodgy white men comprise almost the totality of my office. Were there to have been more women in the workplace, there would presumably have been more dating opportunities. So I don't champion the barefoot/pregnant/ignorant bromide. But what I do regret, is that society has become more fluid and situational, more dependent on subtleties of communication, of deftly and gingerly maintaining rapport, of signals sent and signals received. Often I wonder, how my dating-life would have been, had I hypothetically been a woman; not in the 1950s, but today. And frankly, I'm not particularly enthused about the possibilities. I'd have to place myself in situations where single men were available, and do something to attract them. I'd have to pick up all sorts of hobbies that don't particularly enthuse me, feigning interest, and making myself available for conversation. I'd have to sift through the various undesirables. I'd have to maintain a ceaseless expression of interest and personal curiosity. I'd have to work at it. And then I'd worry about being suddenly and peremptorily dumped; or about having my finances exploited; or at least, worrying about the fellow using money to buy stuff, instead of accumulating for accumulation's sake, which is what I'd want to do.

The 1950s? Culturally, I’m not terrifically interested in what's been happening since the 1930s; well, maybe in literature, but certainly not in music or the visual arts. If I were a woman, where would I find a like-minded man, who exudes utter contempt for popular culture? Where would I go to meet him, especially in the small-town American Midwest?

So how would things have been different 60 years ago? Well, 60 years ago, my hypothetical female counterpart – as a graduate of Smith, Wellesley, Radcliffe and the like, would have benefited from formally organized dating options. She would have been part of a network, relying on pedigree, rather than on accident of social-skills. She would have been fixed up with all sorts of eligible men, men with fathers and grandfathers who had recognized names and who were a known commodity. She would have had marital options, for which she'd have to strenuously work today.

In sum, I pine for the WW2 and cold-war emergencies that so greatly benefited my profession. I also pine for the unabashedly aristocratic traditions that themselves were waning in the mid 20th century.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:59 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,909,526 times
'You can go your own way. Go your own way !!'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ul-cZyuYq4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships