Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 01:06 PM

964 posts, read 994,010 times

Advertisements

On another thread you said you were in counseling. Don't you meet single men your age when you go to conferences and take your Continuing Ed classes? I would think your own profession would be prime hunting turf. From that perspective, it wouldn't matter what city you're in.
Funny how people can overlook the obvious, isn't it?

Last edited by MountainHi; 02-09-2016 at 01:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 01:18 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eversearching View Post
Hey, not sure if this has been done before (couldn't find it specifically), but out of curiosity, I'd be interested in hearing experiences/opinions of people, on best cities for a female in her late 30s, to meet a guy. I'm in Dallas currently, and seriously thinking of moving the the Pacific Northwest, to be near family, and start a business. San Diego is slightly possible as well (I lived there for a few years and dating was a little rough). I'm not desperate, and this isn't my top priority, but it seems like people complain about dating on every city's forum I've read, so I'd like to hear where people think is GOOD for meeting a quality guy, in that age range. Also, places to avoid at all costs, is helpful too.
Most cities in the U.S. would be great to meet guys in their 30's and 40's because of gender ratios leaving more single guys. It would be paradise for you

Old 02-09-2016, 01:35 PM

346 posts, read 730,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
On another thread you said you were in counseling. Don't you meet single men your age when you go to conferences and take your Continuing Ed classes? I would think your own profession would be prime hunting turf. From that perspective, it wouldn't matter what city you're in.
Funny how people can overlook the obvious, isn't it?
Actually, my field is like 90% female (and mostly really attractive females, haha). Seriously, I think my grad school must've had an attractiveness requirement to be in the program. In every class or lecture, conference type environment, etc., there are maybe 2 guys, and they are generally married. In the early days, counseling and psychology in general, was almost all male, but I think the switch started in the mid 80s or so. It is interesting how it has completely switched now, but I guess because counseling is considered a type of nurturing (my opinion on this, at least). Maybe I should've gone into IT. Too bad I have no skill or interest in that field though.
I mean, this dating stuff isn't the center of my focus, but one factor that could help me in looking at places.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:53 PM

102,191 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Isn't Dallas good for dating, OP? Or are most people married by the late 30's? No divorces?

You should message our Portland resident, NW Girl. She re-entered the dating market around 39, and is now in her early 40's. She said Portland is very difficult. None of the women in that age group can figure out where the men are. They're not at the singles events the women attend, hardly. In fact, after several years of trying everything (speed dating, OLD, singles hiking, etc. etc.) she's thinking about moving away.

I don't think Seattle's much different, but since it's a larger population, you might have better luck. One way people meet there is through singles hikes organized by the main hiking club, and through events the REI Co-op organizes. Boating clubs of various sorts can also be good. Since people in the NW tend to be reserved, online dating would probably be an important resource.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:46 PM

Ruth, of everywhere I've lived, Dallas has been the best in terms of numbers. Quality is still hard to find, but dating here is easier than other places I've experienced. But I've done mostly online here, since the metroplex is so spread out, that most activity groups are like 45+ minutes away, minimum. So, I do generally meet guys who are not quality. I'd take quality over quantity any day (since I only want "the one" anyway).
Yeah, I've read some of NW Girl's posts, and it is discouraging. I know my running group has a chapter there, and they seem friendly, but not sure how the dating odds would be. I'd be curious where she's thinking of moving? If a woman is moving somewhere purely for the dating opportunities, I'd highly recommend against Chicago and San Diego.
It does sound like Seattle and Portland are similar in dating results, and probably not as good as Dallas, but that alone wouldn't prevent me from moving to the NW.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:54 PM

102,191 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eversearching View Post
Ruth, of everywhere I've lived, Dallas has been the best in terms of numbers. Quality is still hard to find, but dating here is easier than other places I've experienced. But I've done mostly online here, since the metroplex is so spread out, that most activity groups are like 45+ minutes away, minimum. So, I do generally meet guys who are not quality. I'd take quality over quantity any day (since I only want "the one" anyway).
Yeah, I've read some of NW Girl's posts, and it is discouraging. I know my running group has a chapter there, and they seem friendly, but not sure how the dating odds would be. I'd be curious where she's thinking of moving? If a woman is moving somewhere purely for the dating opportunities, I'd highly recommend against Chicago and San Diego.
It does sound like Seattle and Portland are similar in dating results, and probably not as good as Dallas, but that alone wouldn't prevent me from moving to the NW.
Have you looked up your running group's Portland chapter? I wonder what the gender balance is, and if they do singles events. It can be helpful to have a group like that as an anchor. I take it you haven't visited either city? It's a tough call.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:50 PM

I've actually lived in both cities before, but it was years ago. Portland was part of high school and right after college, and Seattle was just for a summer, in a more married couples part of town. I visit family in Seattle during the holidays as well. I think Portland is prettier and more walkable, maybe friendlier too, but hard to say for sure. But yeah, it is a tough call because they are so similar, yet different enough! I'm considering San Diego again also, but I would definitely have to embrace spinsterhood if I moved there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships