Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 01:06 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
Has anyone here ever dated, been romantically involved with, or known someone who they suspect to be a narcissist, who was NOT brought up in an abusive environment, but rather was spoiled rotten to the point where they came to believe they were "special"?

The narcissistic types I've attracted in the past definitely came from abusive backgrounds, not spoiled ones. Anyone known this type of entitled narcissist and how/why they came to believe that they were better than others?
I've never met a true narcissist, although i do know that it is fashionable label in common use these days However, I have met a number of people who had absolutely no insight about how their words actions affected other people. I never looked into their family backgrounds, nor was i ever successful in helping a few of them (work colleagues) to gain some insight regarding their own personalities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 07:08 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,104,386 times
I do believe that if you searched "spoiled narcissist", you would find a picture of my ex.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:12 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Uh...That is sounding a bit narcissistic.
And Penthouse article-esque! LOL!

Old 03-01-2016, 07:33 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,845,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I've never met a true narcissist, although i do know that it is fashionable label in common use these days However, I have met a number of people who had absolutely no insight about how their words actions affected other people. I never looked into their family backgrounds, nor was i ever successful in helping a few of them (work colleagues) to gain some insight regarding their own personalities.
From what I've experienced, this utter lack of insight and self-awareness is seriously on the rise today. It really is becoming a culture of narcissism, where people aggrandize themselves to a disturbing degree and start taking liberties that simply aren't theirs to take. Psychologically, they say narcissism forms when a child cannot (or feels they cannot) rely on "other" in any real, safe way. So, they do not develop any kind of attachment to "other" and instead direct all that energy towards themselves. People like this are "with" us, as in among us, but they do not share the same, connected reality that normal people do. They're in a world of their own, disconnected from feelings, morals, and truth.

Scary.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:21 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Analyst View Post
Yep. I had a good friend in a relationship with a girl like this. I don't know if it had any impact on how she turned out, but her father was killed by the police at a fairly young age. She was the absolute worst person I've ever met. She once told us, "I drive a $40k car, I deserve a guy who treats me to X." She thought she was god's gift to humanity, it was absolutely disgusting.

Considering the cost of a new vehicle today, $40k is NOT an expensive vehicle.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:13 PM

251 posts, read 175,401 times
The word is entirely overused today as well as "domineering", "arrogant", "overconfident", "sociopath" etc..

Naw, he's just not a "pusscake"....is all!

Carry on men!

Old 03-02-2016, 03:19 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey River View Post
The word is entirely overused today as well as "domineering", "arrogant", "overconfident", "sociopath" etc..

Naw, he's just not a "pusscake"....is all!

Carry on men!
I feel it's a bit overused too.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:21 PM

346 posts, read 730,585 times
It's definitely overused, just like the word "stalking". These words being overused makes light of people who have actually dealt with the real thing, and that annoys me to no end.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:34 PM

251 posts, read 175,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I feel it's a bit overused too.
I had a woman in October 2014 call me every insult in the book. This engaged guy "Roberto" whom she thought was so fly and charming was a freakin' CREEP. He knew all the right things to say, that's for sure. He wouldn't stop hitting on her, like he was the only man in the room. Whatever..."married guy cheating" and stupid lady! The "one" who ALWAYS has your back is gone....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQN-3p2HqPA

Semper Fi~

Old 03-02-2016, 03:52 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,084 times
Yes, I myself am kind of like this. I've heard it from some people and I agree with them.

I feel like I have some narcissistic and sociopathic tendencies. It probably comes from being an only child and usually always getting my way. Back then I'd get my way with parents and family. Now I usually always get my way with women.

I'm not spoiled though. I do work hard for everything I have and have never had things handed to me, but my ability to charm people and get what I want is pretty impressive. I surprise myself sometimes at how good I can be.

I don't go for normal relationships anymore, they don't appeal to me. I like to hunt for women and get notches. I can do it with very little emotional attachment. It comes easy to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships