Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 04:26 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times

Advertisements

eh, my first love was in 3rd grade, I've been over that for more than 45 years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 04:31 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Mine was this timeless Celto-Roman forest nymph who, in spite of not having very much in common with me, absolutely mesmerized me. We were both barely adults. She at the time was saving herself for marriage or at very least someone she deemed a suitable prospect. I didn't make the cut, so we never got carnal (well, nothing past 2nd base at least). All of that said, I sometimes wonder about the outcome if I had been more mature and less into myself at the time. If I'd been even a bit more tuned into her, given her mesmerizing and sweet disposition, who knows how things might have eventually turned out ... for the both of us.

Now for ... danger, danger Will Robinson.

She's shown up on the web and is at the moment a mere email or phone call away. Seemingly divorced.

(slaps self) ... no ... don't do it!

Old 02-26-2016, 04:59 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
i never compare one girlfriend with another, it isnt fair to any of them. i got over my first love many years ago, and i treat each new lady as an individual.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:10 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
My first love was in HS. We were together for 3 yrs or so. It was hard when we split. It took me a good while to get over her and truth be told, I think that a part of me changed and I became a bit more guarded with my "heart" so to speak. Sorta sad, but it is what it is.

She friended me on FB a few yrs ago and we interact once ever few months, if that really. She never married and had kids, she does have a LTR with a guy apparently. She has posted a few things over the yrs about her sister and how they haven't talked for 10 yrs. I often wondered why she never had kids or what happened between her and her sister. When we were together her sister was around us all the time. I actually had a pretty good bond with her sister and when some guy cheated on her I asked her if she wanted me to go have a talk with him. LOL

Sorry, gave me info than the OP asked for.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:38 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
I still yen for my first love.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:52 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default Becoming guarded....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
My first love was in HS. We were together for 3 yrs or so. It was hard when we split. It took me a good while to get over her and truth be told, I think that a part of me changed and I became a bit more guarded with my "heart" so to speak. Sorta sad, but it is what it is.

She friended me on FB a few yrs ago and we interact once ever few months, if that really. She never married and had kids, she does have a LTR with a guy apparently. She has posted a few things over the yrs about her sister and how they haven't talked for 10 yrs. I often wondered why she never had kids or what happened between her and her sister. When we were together her sister was around us all the time. I actually had a pretty good bond with her sister and when some guy cheated on her I asked her if she wanted me to go have a talk with him. LOL

Sorry, gave me info than the OP asked for.
I 100% felt the same way after we ended our relationship. Never willing to love anyone to that same extent anymore. I went from being able to love someone more then myself to at best being able to love someone as much as myself just to protect myself. Oh the lessons we learn in life .

Old 02-26-2016, 08:04 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I 100% felt the same way after we ended our relationship. Never willing to love anyone to that same extent anymore. I went from being able to love someone more then myself to at best being able to love someone as much as myself just to protect myself. Oh the lessons we learn in life .
The lessons we learn in life is cliché alert..... what makes us who we are. I think sometimes when we do some real deep soul searching when we can't sleep in the middle of the night that sometimes we pull up some uncomfortable truths about ourselves and about humanity in general.

The people in our lives need 100% of what we're able to give, nothing less. I was careful to say "what we're able to give" because as I get older one of the "lessons" I've learned is to accept that people have limits and that is just the way it is. Right, wrong, or indifferent.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:30 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,067,341 times
I've never been in a relationship, but the first person for whom I ever felt romantic feelings was A, in junior high (we were both 13).

It is interesting that my brief involvement with Jehovah's Witnesses caused me to say something to her that made her cry, and that was brought us together as friends. They promote the idea of deicide, and A was Jewish. So because I had been brainwashed by them, I made an anti-Semetic remark to her and it made her cry. Her tears eventually made me cry as well, and made me think about religion and life and how I felt about her. I realized I was in love with her and that the idea of deicide is evil and promotes bigotry and hatred.

So I ended my involvement with Jehovah's Witnesses. Ever since then, I have considered myself a Deist.

In any case, the following school year, 8th grade, I wrote A a handwritten letter/note and passed it to her. I talked about how sorry I was and how much I cared about her, and begged for her forgiveness. She wrote one in response saying the incident was forgiven and forgotten. Thereafter, we talked every school day at lunch, and we wrote each other many letters. I still have many of the ones she gave me. We once spent two hours on the phone together.

Still, when I told her that I was in love with her, she said she just wanted to stay platonic friends. I was heartbroken and depressed after that. The first of many heartbreaks. But I felt better in three weeks or so. I thought that was the worst that anyone could feel when their feelings are not reciprocated, but in the future I learned that it gets a lot worse. You can share your feelings with the wrong person, and the result can be that the object of your affection wants you out of their life entirely. That hurts a lot more.

The good news is that on the last day of 8th grade, she gave me her address and phone number on a piece of paper; she was going to attend a private Catholic school. The bad news is that I lost the paper. I tried writing her a letter through the USPS in high school, with her name and the name of her street and the city; I did not remember the address. Somebody wrote me back, and I think it was her, but I'm not sure because I didn't get a response to my reply.

I ran into her again when I was attending a community college right after high school and gave her my number. She didn't call.

But that was the first time I felt that extra spark of interest, and felt like I was in love. So other feelings are always compared to that.

The 20th anniversary of our high school graduating class is coming up. A is the only one I'm not still in contact with but would like to be. At some point I should contact the people organizing the HS reunion for her school. I hope she's all right these days.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:37 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,667,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Some live their life with their first love..

Old 02-26-2016, 11:39 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,414 times
I think there's some degree of truth to this...

I still love my first love and I know he still loves me...things didn't work out for one reason alone..but I guess if it was meant to be, it was meant to be. I'm certain that we both know what would happen if we tried to remain "friends" while he's an actively married man.

To save my self from disgrace, amongst other things, we both know we can never communicate with one another, ever again.

Such is life...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships