Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 09:38 AM

20 posts, read 27,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
People do lurk on here you know.
Hey, that would be me.. long time lurker here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 09:59 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,872,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Your display of excitement seems disproportionate to the event. If you jump and squeal over a stuffed animal or a pizza outing what are you going to do over going to the beach or getting a new car? It makes people uncomfortable..

This is what I thought. What on Earth would she do if he proposed? Whip a full fireworks display out and set it off while tap-dancing and yelling into a bullhorn?

Being naturally bubbly is fine. Squealing and jumping as an adult makes me think of over-indulgent parents who thought their little princess was just the cutest thing ever! and it stuck...

But in a relationship there must be compromise in order to make the other person feel comfortable, right? If your boyfriend spoke in a super grumpy voice very loudly just because that was his personality, wouldn't you want him to tone it down a bit? Wouldn't it make sense that he would try to speak a bit quieter and more gently to make you happy? Doesn't it make sense that you should do the same?

Successful relationships are made up of two people who consider each other's feelings and opinions and strive for middle ground where both are comfortable and happy.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:13 AM

10,931 posts, read 11,691,276 times
Wet blankets don't come in your size, shape or color.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:14 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,543,568 times
Unless you're 6 or 7 years old, yes, it's annoying. Other than that, it's just a girl who likes drawing attention to herself in a way she thinks is 'cute' and 'feminine' but is actually quite exasperating coming from an adult.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:30 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,543,568 times
I just re-read your original post and took note of the fact that the boyfriend seems to humor you sometimes and is annoyed other times. You mentioned going out to eat, getting visibly (and overly, in my opinion) excited. Are you specifically doing this when there are other guys around in a passive attempt to get attention?

I ask because that's what it seems like--for some women attention is like cocaine. I have friends whose SO's pull this crap all the time, and it's nowhere nearly as endearing or adorable as the woman thinks it is. It's a 'me me me, look at me' tactic, and your boyfriend may wonder just how invested you are if you feel a constant need to go to such attention-seeking lengths, even with him right there, ready to give you the only male attention you're 'entitled' to.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:57 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,784,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippyTaco View Post
Whenever we plan to go out to eat or some other fun thing i get super excited and sometimes I'll squeal, jump up amd down and dance. Sometimes it seems like it makes him smile but other times it bothers him.
I would get my mom to make her cry.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:05 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,355,889 times
Quote:
Do you think i should try to tone it down?

Ya think?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...l#post43032511

Old 02-16-2016, 01:19 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,699,255 times
I'm FEMALE and I have a friend who gets overly excited. It's meant to attract attention.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:30 PM

20,707 posts, read 19,880,600 times
Quote:
Whenever we plan to go out to eat or some other fun thing i get super excited and sometimes I'll squeal, jump up amd down and dance. Sometimes it seems like it makes him smile but other times it bothers him. I just have a naturally bubbly and excited personality. His friend and his mom think it's annoying too but not as much as he does. I think it's because before plans become definite or if it might not work out i still get super excited and ready for fun. Today my boyfriend and our friend were discussing where to get dinner and when they mentioned Dave and Busters i was like "REALLY?!?!" and git super happy. A few minutes later his friend said i should stop doing that. Well we ended up not doing anything we talked about. No one has ever seemed to mind my bubblyness before. I think it could be because my boyfriend grew up poor and had more disappointments in life than me and his friend was the same way too. Also whenever we are at the store or the mall i get super excited and squealy over stuffed animals or clothes and say i need it soo bad and it stresses him out. He will automatically go over in his head the price and how much I'll have left for food. I mean i don't buy everything i get excited over so i wish he would just enjoy it instead of mentally preparing for us not having food money.
Do you think i should try to tone it down?
No, I think you do great. Everybody in the store should see how excited you are, so your bf buys you all the stuff you deserve. Don't let him get away cheap! I would pick the most expensive stuffed animal because you are worth it!

The bigger the scene you cause, the more people think you are a great person because not everybody can get so excited over little things, right?

Old 02-16-2016, 02:43 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,158,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
No, I think you do great. Everybody in the store should see how excited you are, so your bf buys you all the stuff you deserve. Don't let him get away cheap! I would pick the most expensive stuffed animal because you are worth it!

The bigger the scene you cause, the more people think you are a great person because not everybody can get so excited over little things, right?
Uh, oh-eve, she's not going to get the sarcasm and will take this literally. Should have included this: . Nah, that would not have helped either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships